SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-14, 06:58 PM   #3061
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Downloads: 313
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Any units within a 80000m radius of my unit were being rendered
I don't want to be the crow of turn but 80 Km from your unit it's not a little bit too much?
I'm thinking to users that already now suffer pc slowdown...Immagine 3 large convoys sailing in that range during night with some searchlights on and maybe firing to a group of planes and all rendered...most pc with low specs pc will almost freeze I presume...In addition think also to multiplayer session...already with SH3 when there's a single huge convoy and the ships of it of starts to fire to a plane(for example) most players suffer slowdowns.
I hope to not offend you with this consideration but I think that it's a thing you have to take in mind.

With respect Viktor
Viktor_Prien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 07:16 PM   #3062
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor_Prien View Post
I don't want to be the crow of turn but 80 Km from your unit it's not a little bit too much?
I'm thinking to users that already now suffer pc slowdown...Immagine 3 large convoys sailing in that range during night with some searchlights on and maybe firing to a group of planes and all rendered...most pc with low specs pc will almost freeze I presume...In addition think also to multiplayer session...already with SH3 when there's a single huge convoy and the ships of it of starts to fire to a plane(for example) most players suffer slowdowns.
I hope to not offend you with this consideration but I think that it's a thing you have to take in mind.

With respect Viktor
It's a variable in my patch file thus you can tailor to taste It will come with default value of 0.0 thus no additional distance will be added to stock game's 40000.0m. If you want to increase the render distance then you can adjust this variable to whatever you want
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 07:20 PM   #3063
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
That would be another useful feature

Could far away ships be heard through the hydrophone (both for players and for the sonarman)?

Have you noticed any decrease in performance on you high spec system?
I might add the ability to change the game's nighttime value in the future

Haven't tested the hydrophone on far away units yet. I'll let you all do this I'm just finishing up the new version of my Generic Patcher currently and testing everything for CTDs.

No decrease in performance on my high-end system. You have to remember that I have an AMD 8 core processor overclocked to 5+GHz on an Asus Crosshair Formula-Z motherboard with 16GB of RAM with the rendering being taken care of by a GTX690. There isn't much that can bring my system to it's knees
Old 03-25-14, 08:06 PM   #3064
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I might add the ability to change the game's nighttime value in the future
Good to hear. I wonder if the value chosen by devs is just an arbitrary number, or rather based on some speculation by them. I mean: why 0.283 and not just 0.25 or 0.3?

Quote:
Haven't tested the hydrophone on far away units yet. I'll let you all do this I'm just finishing up the new version of my Generic Patcher currently and testing everything for CTDs.
Fair enough
Don't forget the 'ship (other than carriers) spawning planes patch', when you get time for it. IIRC you liked the idea, and it should already be in you todo list

Quote:
No decrease in performance on my high-end system. You have to remember that I have an AMD 8 core processor overclocked to 5+GHz on an Asus Crosshair Formula-Z motherboard with 16GB of RAM with the rendering being taken care of by a GTX690. There isn't much that can bring my system to it's knees
Sometimes I forget how cool and super-performant is whatever concerns your life
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 09:24 PM   #3065
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Good to hear. I wonder if the value chosen by devs is just an arbitrary number, or rather based on some speculation by them. I mean: why 0.283 and not just 0.25 or 0.3?

Fair enough
Don't forget the 'ship (other than carriers) spawning planes patch', when you get time for it. IIRC you liked the idea, and it should already be in you todo list

Sometimes I forget how cool and super-performant is whatever concerns your life
If you have been any where near the Eastern British coast in the latest Open Horizons mod during the Coastal campaign , then you would know that it is the last mod you would want .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 09:49 PM   #3066
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.160.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.160.0:
- added a new patch to the SH5.exe: Increase render distance of units. This new patch will, as it says, increase the render distance of units from the player's unit. Default render distance is 40000.0m. This patch will let you define an additional value to add to this 40000.0m thus increasing the render distance from the player's unit. Default value is an additional 40000.0m. See the Notes= of the new patch to learn how to change the default value.
- revised the Player's unit visual sensor affected by available light and Units visual sensor affected by available light (does not affect player's unit) patches so that if it's nighttime it will use the additional nighttime multiplier specified in the patches.
- Added notes (Notes=) to the Player's unit visual sensor affected by available light, Units visual sensor affected by available light (does not affect player's unit), and searchlights active at dusk when they have a contact patches so that the end-user knows how to adjust the variables for those patches

My high-end system was able to increase the render distance of units an additional 100000.0m (total render distance was then 140000.0m) without a performance hit
Old 03-25-14, 10:16 PM   #3067
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

I enabled the v1.0.160.0 . Left it on the Default value is an additional 40000.0m . Started a new career and left Memel . My computer seems to run better LOL 112 fps . Asus EAH 5870 V2 LOL . Early days . Got close to a port and ships started turning up . 18 fps . Good that its there for when I upgrade my computer .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 03-25-14 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 10:28 PM   #3068
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Here's the increase render distance patch in action. I left the default increase value to 40000.0m. Made a single mission where I had a fighter ~70000.0m to the west of my sub. As soon as the game loaded I paused it, drew a distance line, went to external cam and followed the line to the end to find:

Working just like it should

Disabled the patch and tried it again. No dice. Plane didn't render till it was ~35000.0m from my sub.

This patch will make campaigns a little more interesting now, especially if the increase render distance is > 80000.0m

Old 03-26-14, 12:21 AM   #3069
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I wonder if the value chosen by devs is just an arbitrary number, or rather based on some speculation by them. I mean: why 0.283 and not just 0.25 or 0.3?
The answer to this is we'll never know unless the programmer who coded this section tells us. What I can infer is this: it's located in SHSim's .rdata section. This tells me it was declared as a constant or global constant in the original C++ code. This is good news because I can modify it - define a variable in the patch file that can add an adjustment amount to it (+ or -) thus letting the end-user decide when nighttime is I'll write this code tomorrow.

Going to have to do a little trickery because of this:
Dump - SHSim_act:06AC0000..06AC0FFF
Address Hex dump Decoded data Comments
06AC023C \. 40000040 DD 40000040 ; Characteristics = INITIALIZED_DATA|READ

SHSim's .rdata section only has read access which is typical of rdata sections (they are usually read-only constants or read-only global constants)

Here's where years and years of hacking comes into play! If you ever want to modify data in a section that is read-only or doesn't have write access just modify the flags in the PE header to give you the access you need/want. Easy as pie!!
Old 03-26-14, 01:58 AM   #3070
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

all of u have this error with patch 1.0.160.0 ?

EDIT:

Problem solved used the backups and patched again and all is ok now thx

Last edited by Sjizzle; 03-26-14 at 04:07 AM.
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 02:44 AM   #3071
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
all of u have this error with patch 1.0.160.0 ?

No .
Old 03-26-14, 03:42 AM   #3072
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
If you have been any where near the Eastern British coast in the latest Open Horizons mod during the Coastal campaign , then you would know that it is the last mod you would want .
Most battleships and some cruisers and destroyers being equipped with scout planes during WWII is a fact.The Supermarine Walrus, the Arado Ar 196, the Curtiss Seagull and the Vought Kingfisher (all modelled in game, or vailable for importing in game), were mostly flown from ship decks rather than from land. Having this modelled in game would be highly realistic.

If TDW decides to work on such a patch, it is on you deciding wether to enable it or not.

Quote:
Here's the increase render distance patch in action.
Quote:
v1.0.160.0 released.
Well done TDW
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 06:16 AM   #3073
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Downloads: 313

Quote:
It's a variable in my patch file thus you can tailor to taste It will come with default value of 0.0 thus no additional distance will be added to stock game's 40000.0m. If you want to increase the render distance then you can adjust this variable to whatever you want
Excellent! Thank you for the new patch and all your work!
Viktor_Prien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 08:10 AM   #3074
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.161.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.161.0 added a new Update to the SHSim.act file: Amount of available light that determines when it's nighttime in the game for sensors. Updates are found under the Updates node. This allows the end-user to set the amount of available light that determines nighttime for sensors. See the Notes= of the update for how to adjust.
Old 03-26-14, 08:52 AM   #3075
steineib
Watch

Downloads: 13

hi there so i got a strange question and sorry for my bad english. also normaly if you go with the mouse up to the buttons for the external camera and so you can click on next unit and so. ok normaly airplanes you can see so , but this who start from the CV´s i can see so. and i was this mornig on a feinfahrt south-east of plymouth, it was still dark and i had look around with the periskop and than a task force comes into the port. some destroyers and one CV. also i had fire 2 torpedos the CV was visit the fishes but from the destroyers no reaction. is this so in the game that the task force start at waypoint 1 over many other waypoints and than back to the port and on the last waypoint the order to stop and wait time x to go on the next patrol ? and i have see a kind of kamikazee action from british airplains. normaly they fly in a 2 plane formation, but there was 3 planes. 2 in a close fomation and the plane no 3 maybe ~20meters away on the same way. soo than they had make something like a try to land on the CV but more than 1km away , had tough the water and fly up again. this 2-3 times and one othe the planes had than too much damage and had crashed down. the other 2 had try again a kind of landing but the same as the first plane. so the had crash into the destroyers. somehow it was strange this to see.
steineib is offline   Reply With Quote