SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-13, 01:22 PM   #2161
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I don't think so. I think that air squadrons were composed by pilots who were trained more or less at the same time and within the same training squadrons. Not taking into account individual factors, significant differences in their skills would have been unlikely.

I would rather make airgroup veterancy independent from the one of their carrier
that's what I was talking about. Randomizing the airgroup (not each individual plane spawned of the airgroup).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 01:47 PM   #2162
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
that's what I was talking about. Randomizing the airgroup (not each individual plane spawned of the airgroup).
If possible, better making the game to read airgroup's veterancy level from file rather than making them random. There are notable battles which we might put in campaign, where the training level of shipborne aircrew of involved carriers is known. My two cents
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 01:54 PM   #2163
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
If possible, better making the game to read airgroup's veterancy level from file rather than making them random. There are notable battles which we might put in campaign, where the training level of shipborne aircrew of involved carriers is known. My two cents
That's a little more involved. Do-able, but much more involved I'd have to add new entries to the carrier's .cfg file to let you specify veterancy levels and the dates they apply for the airgroups...
Old 06-29-13, 02:05 PM   #2164
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
That's a little more involved. Do-able, but much more involved I'd have to add new entries to the carrier's .cfg file to let you specify veterancy levels and the dates they apply for the airgroups...
even better if you make provisions for a -1 veterancy level setting in carrier's cfg file, meanig random ranking

Think about it
Old 07-01-13, 08:29 PM   #2165
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.118.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.118.0 Added a new patch to the SH5.exe: Carriers spawning aircraft when they have a contact detected.

Old 07-02-13, 02:28 AM   #2166
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.119.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.119.0 Fixed bug in the Carriers spawning aircraft patch that caused waypoints of units that weren't based from a carrier or were based from a carrier but the carrier had no contacts to be incorrectly set. Added the ablility of the carrier to spawn more than two units. It can spawn 1 additional unit also (for a total of 3). This is a variable in the SH5 patch file that is currently set to 1.

Carrier on Carrier battles are awesome Each launches aircraft from far out and causes havoc to each's battlegroup. What a sight They continue launching aircraft at each other also. You gotta see it!

Trying to attack a carrier with a sub is next to impossible now if you are detected.

I'm going to try to code in the carriers launching scout aircraft at certain time intervals. The scout aircraft would patrol a box of say 20km around the carrier. They would do their box then return to the carrier if they found no contacts.
Old 07-02-13, 02:33 AM   #2167
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 0

Pwiuu...sounds awesome!
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 04:01 AM   #2168
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Pwiuu...sounds awesome!

tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:05 AM   #2169
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

The whole carriers idea is immensely cool! Thank you for your hard work, TDW!

Do you have any other plans when it comes to patching the sh5.exe or editing the AI? I love looking forward to your updates and knowing that there's something great heading our way.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:16 AM   #2170
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Things in the pipeline:
- ships that were able to fire torpedoes getting that ability - going to be a tough one no doubt but I think I can pull it off. I'm not talking about making them into a submarine type but leaving them as a ship type and adding a new controller to the game to allow ships to fire torpedoes.
- saving all map marks to a file at game end and restoring them at game start
- defining different sets of engine ratios for diesel and for electric (gaps idea) - these would be in the .cfg file of the unit

Any other ideas
Old 07-02-13, 09:28 AM   #2171
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Starting with v1.0.118.0 Added a new patch to the SH5.exe: Carriers spawning aircraft when they have a contact detected.

Quote:
Things in the pipeline:

Any other ideas
I was going to say this:

Quote:
- ships that were able to fire torpedoes getting that ability
...but you have anticipated me
Old 07-02-13, 09:32 AM   #2172
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

almost forgot about this one also that I have been working on for some time now:
- adding a new entry to each scope's display that would show the elevation of the scope in tenths or hundredths of a degree. This would enhance my real nav mod as you would be able to use the scope as a sextant.
Old 07-02-13, 10:21 AM   #2173
Sartoris
Captain

Quote:
almost forgot about this one also that I have been working on for some time now:
- adding a new entry to each scope's display that would show the elevation of the scope in tenths or hundredths of a degree. This would enhance my real nav mod as you would be able to use the scope as a sextant.
That sounds very useful.

Is there any hope of reverting the crew management system to the old one from sh4? Having immortal crewmen is quite immersion-breaking. I would also like to recruit new crew members, and allocate them to compartments, like in the old system. I assume this would mean a lot of work, but having seen the wonders you can achieve, it's not easy to persuade me you wouldn't be able to do this.
Old 07-02-13, 10:26 AM   #2174
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Is there any hope of reverting the crew management system to the old one from sh4? Having immortal crewmen is quite immersion-breaking. I would also like to recruit new crew members, and allocate them to compartments, like in the old system. I assume this would mean a lot of work, but having seen the wonders you can achieve, it's not easy to persuade me you wouldn't be able to do this.
There is an application I have been working on to edit the crew files. So far it's more of a learning tool to see what the meaning of all the entries in the crew files mean than an editor It's not really priority right now so I work on it when my mind needs a break from assembly
Old 07-02-13, 10:49 AM   #2175
Sartoris
Captain

Quote:
There is an application I have been working on to edit the crew files. So far it's more of a learning tool to see what the meaning of all the entries in the crew files mean than an editor It's not really priority right now so I work on it when my mind needs a break from assembly
Cool, glad to hear that we can at least hope.