SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-19, 03:39 PM   #1
Lymark
Swabbie

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with RAOBF calculation[Solved]

I've recently started playing SH3 GWX for the first time(Yeah i know, only played SH4/5 before), been practicing manual TDC with the stationary tramp steamer in torpedo exam using RAOBF, and I've just realized that my range/AOB calculation has been very inaccurate even though the method is correct. I'll describe my issue with the following screenshot:

Tramp Steamer: ~800m, AOB:~36 from torpedo exam

To my understanding, getting range by multiplying mast height x2 is the nom here in SH3. However, in my case, that would result in the range being doubled. Even weirder, If I were to drag the 800m mark to the ship's length(78.5m) then read off the AOB based on center to bow length tick(7 ticks), AOB would be ~20 degrees off. Therefore, I now have to multiply the mast height after getting my range, instead of dragging the calculated range right away.

Not really a big deal, but I have been pulling my hair wondering why my math is different than everyone else. It also confuses me because I feel like I'm not doing it right.

I'm using 'ARB WideGui 1920x1080'(an improved version of Ahnenerbe's), and the only mod I think that might have an effect on this are both MFM and MFM's displacement correction mod.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Lymark; 02-28-19 at 02:22 AM.
Lymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 03:54 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Hope this helps. I have many more videos.

Things can throw off calculations like the bobbing of your boat or waves moving the ships around.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 05:21 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

If you are using the RAOBF wheel, there is no reason to use math for anything. The answers are on the wheel. If you want to manually calculate range:

bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 02:21 AM   #4
Lymark
Swabbie

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
[url]
Hope this helps. I have many more videos.
Alright, I see where the problem lies after watching your video. With the widescreen mod, I've been told to multiply the mast height and only use half the ship length for AOB. However, you didn't do either of that, I managed to get the right numbers now following what you did.

I swear these widescreen mods that alter zoom or the way RAOBF works confuse me so much, but at least it's solved.

Thanks for the help
Lymark is offline   Reply With Quote