SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-09, 12:47 AM   #1
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Default Wind interaction in SH4 Uboat Add On

I found the UBoat add-on on UBI's store for $9.99 so I figured I'd have a go at it. I needed to get my torpedo skills back up to par for SH5 and I needed to get my eyes and brain back into looking at the files and disassembling them. Must say I'm pretty surprised. I bought SH4 (pre-order) and turned it into a paper weight fifteen minutes after playing it as I thought it was awful compared to SH3. It's tolerable (but needs lots of work) now with the UBoat expansion. I still don't like the interface - give me SH3 interface back.
I have a question though: has the smoke always interacted with the wind in SH4 or did this just come about with patch 1.5 (UBoat add on)? I did some test missions and each time I changed the wind direction from 0, 90, 180, to 270 and the smoke from fires followed the wind. Now that's something we couldn't get in SH3.
So being who I am I tinkered with the files and got the fires to also be affected by wind. Even cooler. I'll have to explore to see if the funnel smoke is being affected by wind or not and if not make it be.
I wonder what else I can get to be affected by wind?? Oh, I know.....bow sprays...yeah! And I bet the water streams from the UBoat can be affected by wind also.....It's going to be a busy day tomorrow

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 10-06-09 at 01:33 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:37 AM   #2
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
Uploads: 0
Ahh Well, now it is again interesting!

The Old Racerboy is back, with new input.

My friend if you look at my video on YOUTUBE
(Tomiu99 / Atlantic Storm)
Will you see what you've just expressed.
You must only look closely.
Among others,

( And I bet the water streams from the UBoat can be affected by wind also..... )
this is also your work!

Nice that you are with us again, and make more!

-----------
Ahh Schön, jetzt wird es wieder Interessant!!

Der Alte Racerboy ist wieder da , mit neuen Input.

Mein freund wenn du mein Video auf YOUTUBE ansiehst ( Tomiu99 / Atlantik Storm )
Wirst du das sehen was du gerade ausgesprochen hast.
Du must nur genau hinsiehst.
Unter anderen ist das auch dein Werk!!

Schön das du wieder bei uns bist , und mach weiter !!!
Old 10-06-09, 10:18 AM   #3
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

hello Tomi_099. I admire your 3D modelling work!

Yes, I'm back tearing up files again. This time for SH4 now, specifically the UBoat add on. It's in DIRE need of an FX overhaul. I already created a new torpedo splash for when the torpedo explodes. You first get the initial 'bubble' and waves as the warhead explodes then about a second later you get the rising columns of water and splashes and water drops on the surface as the steam bubble collapses from where the warhead exploded. Basically a more realistic torpedo explosion interaction with the water. Now I'm working on the fires and smokes (with fire and smoke interaction with wind). Then to add debris, make the bow sprays and water streams interact with wind, ......that should take me some time to do. Oy yeah, can't forget to add all the missing sounds (fire, missing hydro sounds, etc.) and new sounds.
Old 10-06-09, 10:31 AM   #4
Ping Panther
Lieutenant

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Racerboy is back?!!!!

I have always appreciated your mod work so much.
Absolute masterpieces of the sub-simming experience!

PP
Ping Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 03:46 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Welcome back!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:17 PM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

So the wind interaction is working (in the game now with patch 1.5) but I see a total lack of visual effects I shelled the crap out of a merchant and didn't get any fires...zip...nada...nothing....until it was destroyed. Then I get the fireballs and some flames. This is absurd. I was trying to test out a new small fire FPG but couldn't ever get it to show up until the unit was destroyed...now I know why (combination of many things).
Checked the zones files for the ships and I'll have to adapt one of my applications to read and display zone info so I can see what happened. Looking at the main Zones file they hardly have any effects assigned to zones. And I payed money for this? Now I remember why I made SH4 a paperweight. The amount of work it will take to get it up to SH3 par is ridiculous.
And what gives with the flickering on the ships? Looks like textures competing for the same texture space. Piss poor quality