SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-18, 04:27 PM   #136
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Well, Russia did well, but in the end penalty is always a game of luck. Both teams were good and the Russian team presented itself well, however both were completely exhausted and nervous, in the end.

2:2, and 4:3 for Croatia in penalties.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 05:18 PM   #137
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
BOLLOCKS! THEY'VE READ MY POST AND ARE IMBUED WITH 'MINNESOTA NICENESS' MOREOVER: having played goalie against the touring Nigerian national team in '72 <(I'm the good looking guy in row three!)... and tried out for the San José Earthquakes in '75; my expertise is unassailable... and: PENALTY SHOTS FROM A WORLDCLASS NIGERIAN IBO TRIBESMAN, STOPPED DEAD CENTER AMIDSHPS( on my stomach), REALLY HURT bby!

St. Olaf?!

.....then there was that time Ol' Steed was the net minder. Jeeezus Steed, put your jersey on!

Best World Cup highlight:
Old 07-07-18, 05:37 PM   #138
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
St. Olaf?!

INDEED AND GOALIE BY DEFAULT ONLY AS WE WERE SHORTHANDED MY FRESHMANN YEAR AND I HAD BEEN A HOCKEY GOALIE SINCE AGE SIX; SO THAT WAS IT-THE CAPTAIN ASKED 'WOULD I' AND I GOT A 2-0 SHUTOUT AND HAD THE B-TEAM GIG WHEN NOT AT INSIDE RIGHT STRIKER (A & B TEAM) FOR FOUR YEARS! THAT CAPTAIN BECAME A MINISTER AND I'M STILL IN TOUCH WITH FIVE OF THESE GUYS WHO WERE FROM MY HOME TOWN OR HAD PLAYED IN MY HIGH-SCHOOL CONFERENCE. QUITE A FEW IN THE FOTO WERE FRON GERMANY, NORWAY, THAILAND, FRANCE, BELGIUM AND BRAZIL SO- NO LACK OF TALENT! AND WE YANKS COULD HOLD OUR OWN.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 06:54 PM   #139
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Go Croatia!

Why? Cause I don't have any other horse in the race, and my company owners, managers, and a lot of my coworkers are Croatian, most first Generation. It's so 'ethnic' in this place, last week they posted a memo on the bulletin board, still in Croatian, nobody noticed till lunch. But they are all wonderful people, and I like working for them, so I gotta cheer for them. Perhaps if they win it all, we'll get a couple days off.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 11:55 PM   #140
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 370

Croatia deserved win should be an interesting game v England fantastic goal from Cheryshev Russia a little unlucky very odd first penalty looked like slow motion pass to goalie

Go Go England

[IMG][/IMG]

Go Go Three Lions
Attached Images
File Type: gif animated-union-jack-01.gif (7.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Cyborg322; 07-08-18 at 12:18 AM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 05:13 AM   #141
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Question of the day: why is it called world championship? Its an all-Euro cup.
Old 07-08-18, 05:50 AM   #142
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Wales, Scotland and Ireland may belong to Europe, but not England

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 06:57 AM   #143
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Great result for England and this young team can only improve.

I'm certainly questioning my earlier beliefs now.

Well done to Croatia and I see a growing number of doubts on the internet regarding the physical capabilities of a Russian team that are supposedly growing stronger as the game goes on and their opposition tire and weaken as a result of their efforts.

After recent state sponsored drug involvement I suppose such allegations can be expected but the bottom line is, Russia did far better than expected and are now out of the competition so perhaps it best that sleeping dogs are left alone.

Hand on heart I'd love to see England triumph but I'll stick with my earlier prediction that the eventual winner will come from the France v Belgium match.

Certainly won't be complaining if I'm wrong.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 07:23 AM   #144
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I see some of England's fans act like morons by rubbing it in.

Quote:
England fans were filmed tearing up an Ikea in east London as supporters decided to rub some salt in Swedish wounds.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/07/engla...n-win-7691414/

Disgraceful behavior which England can do without.

I take it England's next match is Wednesday evening which i will not be watching as i will be at work. So i will not comment on that match apart from this...WIN IT!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 11:56 AM   #145
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I see some of England's fans act like morons by rubbing it in.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/07/engla...n-win-7691414/

Disgraceful behavior which England can do without
You continue to focus on the negative for some reason in most of your post lets look at some positives

I agree the Ikea thing is ridiculous but Englands conduct on the pitch has been exemporary despite some really bad tempered matches and provocation these lads have been good role models for the younger generation with there fair play and unselfish teamwork. Lets hope our kids try to emulate them

Gareth Southgate has been a great ambassador for England with his respect for other teams and his no criticism policy with officials and FIFA

Hooliganism was I remember much worse in the 70's and 80's with groups like the infamous Inter City Firm and Interchange Riot Squad there are similar undesirables in most countries including all the Quarter finalist . England and Scotland were arguably the worse in terms of numbers in the past

Thing are still improving but you will always find the Lunatic fringe where ever you go

England Three Lions making most of us proud
Hooligan origin most popular theories may have originated from the surname of a rowdy Irish family in a music hall song of the 1890s or from Patrick Hoolihan (or Hooligan), an Irish bouncer and thief who lived in London.
Attached Images
File Type: gif animated-union-jack-01.gif (7.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Cyborg322; 07-08-18 at 12:06 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 07:34 AM   #146
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Hear hear

I'm surprised the Russian fans haven't carried out some of their televised threats thus far or is it a case of still time yet, or has Putin put the word out that Siberia awaits those troublemakers and perhaps even their nearest and dearest?

Old 07-09-18, 08:17 AM   #147
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Hear hear

I'm surprised the Russian fans haven't carried out some of their televised threats thus far or is it a case of still time yet, or has Putin put the word out that Siberia awaits those troublemakers and perhaps even their nearest and dearest?
The term for prison is "a place not so far from here".

But yea, the idea is that fans do not tarnish the event. To be honest I think people underestimate the hospitality we offer.
Old 07-09-18, 11:21 AM   #148
Dmitry Markov
Officer

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post

But yea, the idea is that fans do not tarnish the event. To be honest I think people underestimate the hospitality we offer.
- " Places not so remote" - another variant suggested by Google :-)

- I assume that people for most part are adequate and aren't intended to spoil a cheerful holiday, no matter where it takes place - Moscow, Austin, Mumbai.. So I don't expect any kind of aggro. And I also think if some 100 young (and not so young) "football fans" out of 146 000 000 our compatriots are so willing to figure out who's tougher with some other foreign "footbal fans" - they can always arrange an appointment in maslenica-fair wall-to-wall-fist fight-style somwhere in fields out of 101 km cirle from the city. We have PLENTY of place for that. Not that it would be in accordance with the law, but at least they won't disturb anybody except cows and birds.
Old 07-09-18, 12:27 PM   #149
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Markov View Post
- " Places not so remote" - another variant suggested by Google :-)

- I assume that people for most part are adequate and aren't intended to spoil a cheerful holiday, no matter where it takes place - Moscow, Austin, Mumbai.. So I don't expect any kind of aggro. And I also think if some 100 young (and not so young) "football fans" out of 146 000 000 our compatriots are so willing to figure out who's tougher with some other foreign "footbal fans" - they can always arrange an appointment in maslenica-fair wall-to-wall-fist fight-style somwhere in fields out of 101 km cirle from the city. We have PLENTY of place for that. Not that it would be in accordance with the law, but at least they won't disturb anybody except cows and birds.
I understand but since the problems in the Europen Championships (Marseille) there have been a few tv documentaries regarding promises of future violent clashes in the World Cup so hopefully everything will be peaceful.

Old 07-11-18, 04:10 AM   #150
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Cannot see Croatia or England being able to handle this super-cool washed-up French team.