SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-16, 03:34 AM   #1
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

radar Trying to figure out a way to make contacts disappear in periscope view

On the map I mean. So if I am on the surface map contacts will be there, but if I submerge, they will disappear. I have an idea that would simulate the tracking party on the surface, but since only you can see with the periscope they would be removed from the map.

I play with the subsensors sim file with sensor depth, my theory would be that the visual sensor (periscope) wouldn't activate until a certain depth but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-16, 06:07 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
On the map I mean. So if I am on the surface map contacts will be there, but if I submerge, they will disappear. I have an idea that would simulate the tracking party on the surface, but since only you can see with the periscope they would be removed from the map.

I play with the subsensors sim file with sensor depth, my theory would be that the visual sensor (periscope) wouldn't activate until a certain depth but that didn't work. Any ideas?
I apologize if I've misunderstood what your asking. If you want to get rid of the map contacts just check the box in the Gameplay Settings labeled No map contacts. Checking this box will remove the map contacts ferom the navigation map.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 04:30 PM   #3
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I apologize if I've misunderstood what your asking. If you want to get rid of the map contacts just check the box in the Gameplay Settings labeled No map contacts. Checking this box will remove the map contacts ferom the navigation map.

Thanks but I meant contacts on the map when surfaced, but disappear when submerged.
Old 02-07-16, 07:14 PM   #4
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219
Uploads: 0

The contacts in the map are only visual. So they appear when surfaced or at periscope depth and with some scope up - this simulates your XO or crewman observing through the scope. All visual. When underwater without scope up or destroyed you have only sonar contacts or radar - if at radar depth. But this contacts are lines indicating direction of the contacts. In SH4 visual contacts prevail over all other contacts. So in the map the visual
contacts not ever are in the direction of the sonar lines.

Then you want a full contacts deployment when submerged but I don't know any mod or way for that.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 07:51 PM   #5
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

I noticed in RFB 1 by acceident I normally run with no map contacts,, I started a campaign and didn't check on map updates off,, well cut to the chase you get updates till you zoom the map in to the plotter I'm using the 3000yrd plotter,,so the crew gets the plot set up at long range ,, with radar and visual,,..and you do the shot set up.,, the mod that would be cool ,, is if you can make it so when you are at periscope you click range and bearing a mark shows up on the map.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 08:29 PM   #6
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
I noticed in RFB 1 by acceident I normally run with no map contacts,, I started a campaign and didn't check on map updates off,, well cut to the chase you get updates till you zoom the map in to the plotter I'm using the 3000yrd plotter,,so the crew gets the plot set up at long range ,, with radar and visual,,..and you do the shot set up.,, the mod that would be cool ,, is if you can make it so when you are at periscope you click range and bearing a mark shows up on the map.

Actually I have been experimenting with this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1328 Assisted Plotting mod. It's for SH3 but seems to work ok for SH4 so far.

You just have to change a parameter or two to get your own sub bearing plotter back.

The mod makes all contacts invisible unless you click it, and makes sonar lines show direction, not distance.
Old 03-07-16, 02:16 PM   #7
yubba
Admiral

It's definitely a mix bag,, just when you think you got plot right the target is running over top of you,, getting the speed right is critical,, lately I've been lousing up some nice shots,,,it probably has something to do with torpedo speed it happens at low speed setting.

Last edited by yubba; 03-08-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 11:13 AM   #8
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

I don't remember for sure, but IIRC the periscope and the visual (bridge crew) are separated items. In which case you could theoretically make a blind periscope, so that the crew would not see anything through it and only you would, effectively not rendering anything on the map.

Note 1: This would also eliminate the auto targetting mode when submerged

Note 2: Theoretically it should not affect the ST radar attached to the scope, that still would add contacts to the map when you raise it while submerged.
Old 03-08-16, 01:11 PM   #9
yubba
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I don't remember for sure, but IIRC the periscope and the visual (bridge crew) are separated items. In which case you could theoretically make a blind periscope, so that the crew would not see anything through it and only you would, effectively not rendering anything on the map.

Note 1: This would also eliminate the auto targetting mode when submerged

Note 2: Theoretically it should not affect the ST radar attached to the scope, that still would add contacts to the map when you raise it while submerged.
Is that ST radar that is attached to the scope of ww2 subs is that modeled into the game ?? I remember reading about real life use of it then it got to be a problem the enemy could detect it..
Old 03-08-16, 04:53 PM   #10
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

IIRC Trigger Maru added it, not sure about RFB. There is no display for it, it just makes the contacts appear at the navmap.
Old 03-08-16, 10:46 PM   #11
yubba
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
IIRC Trigger Maru added it, not sure about RFB. There is no display for it, it just makes the contacts appear at the navmap.
,,I wonder if someone could run that into the A-scope.,of radar..

I ran TMO for awhile,, it took for ever to come across a target,, and if I did it would be some sub hunter, I'd see him 10,000 yds away submerged watching him through the scope stopped even damn if he wouldn't come right in to my lap running late 42 early43 out of Fremantle in and around the Java sea