SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-17, 03:13 PM   #1
Sparks
Swabbie

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Several mods installed

Hello,

How should you install multiple mods at same time ?

GNSF
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 04:26 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

I would suggest JSGME or alternatively renaming the override folder(s) for each mod. Right now because of the nature of how the game loads mods they can really only be used one at a time unless they are expressly written to be compatible.
Old 10-01-17, 04:27 PM   #3
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Icon14

Well you will get different opinions. Here is mine. These all work well when installed in the order below

Gameplay Mods:section

1-Red Storm Rising Free Roam Mod, (Lot's of fun)
2-Playable SubsMod, (always updating!! and fun)

Graphics mods:section

3-Cold Waters enhanced navigation map, (very useful)
4-My Background Map and Torpedo Load Indicator Mod ( useful eye candy)

The other mods are fine I'm sure but I can't advise you on the install order. I have not tried them yet.

It's a good starting point

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

Last edited by GeneralGamer; 10-01-17 at 04:48 PM.
GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 05:26 PM   #4
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
Well you will get different opinions. Here is mine. These all work well when installed in the order below

1-Red Storm Rising Free Roam Mod, (Lot's of fun)
2-Playable SubsMod, (always updating!! and fun)
The free roam mod is now included in the NPS mod, so no need to install separately.
Old 10-01-17, 11:26 PM   #5
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
The free roam mod is now included in the NPS mod, so no need to install separately.
Ah thanks for that update! I'm not much at reading directions or update info, LOL

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 12:39 AM   #6
Sparks
Swabbie

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I would suggest JSGME or alternatively renaming the override folder(s) for each mod. Right now because of the nature of how the game loads mods they can really only be used one at a time unless they are expressly written to be compatible.
Didn't realize JSGME would work with ColdWaters. Will give it a try.
Otherwise installing the mods and renaming into override when wanted isn't big issue either. At the end you can only use one at the time :-)

GNSF
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 02:36 AM   #7
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57
Default Agreement. but...

Agree that's the way it is but shouldn't it be worked so that there is common agreement amongst the designers and developers such that additional, multiple mods can co-exist? It's not a deal breaker but why would I not, as a designer/developer, code my game such that multiple versions of mods can co-exist? I for one, would love to have the 2004 campaign installed but don't because it conflicts with other mods because they all utilize the override name space. Wouldn't it make sense to load from among the various mods at mission/campaign loading screen? From a user's perspective it makes a lot of sense. Useability from the user's perspective is what I'm arguing if, in my opinion, we want to keep this game front and center in game's minds for the foreseeable future.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 03:39 PM   #8
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

"...as a designer/developer, code my game such that multiple versions..."

Testing compatibility with mods you did not code yourself adds to your own development time. Also, not only do you have to keep your own game modded with everyone else's updates and test every time someone else updates their mod, you have to take responsibility for other's mods you distribute with your own. Someone else's mod breaks and it's your fault.

The only practical solution to distributing multiple mods with one update is if the mod devs want to combine all their mods into one distribution that one person or team tests and uploads to the Web as one offering, removing all the single distributions of the mods. Similar to what Superpack did with Falcon4.

If you were a developer yourself, you would conceive of many more complications than those I pointed out here.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 03:02 AM   #9
Mspot
Bosun

Among other things, I'm a designer and developer but not of and for games. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm quite happy, for the most part, with the current development of the game (1.08c). And I very much appreciate the response times of the game. I mostly understand the constraints. I was arguing purely from a user's perspective. As I said, not a deal breaker -- by any means. And, as I've stated from the first release of this game, I think it's awesome, and was quite amazed anyone did what KFG did. Obviously, I'm not the only one who thinks that. I was merely providing user feedback.
Old 10-04-17, 10:35 AM   #10
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

JSGME is the way to go here. I use it for multiple games on my computer, from Total War to Silent Hunter to Cold Waters.

As to the comment above as to why everyone doesn't make their mods compatible. What do you do when you've both changed the same file in different manners? Also just because all mods use the override folder doesn't mean they aren't compatible. It all comes down to the individual files from each mod, the folder structure doesn't matter so much really. Cold Waters is much easier to mod than say SH4.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 03:16 AM   #11
Mspot
Bosun

I get it. Makes sense to me now. I may have to try that program you reference; I've seen it mentioned any number of times over the years. Thanks.