SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-14, 04:43 AM   #196
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

512 - A solar eclipse is recorded by a monastic chronicler in Ireland.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 11:45 AM   #197
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

1954: The atomic energy commission votes against reinstating Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer's access to classified information. A bit closing the barn door after the horse (Trinity and the Manhattan Project) IMHO " We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-29-14 at 12:29 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 11:56 PM   #198
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Posted a tad early...because "tomorrow is another day"-Scarlett O'Hara ; Countless men in man-caves learn "Frankly my dear...not to give a damn!' 1936: Gone with the Wind is published. 1934: Hitler purges his own NAZI party in the Night of the Long Knives; Hundreds are killed. 1876: Having got a little too far west, the survivors of Custer's seventh cavalry reach the steamboat Far West for transport back to Ft Abraham Lincoln. The vessel, shown below as fitted in 1876, was the true hero of the disaster under able Captain Grant Marsh and covered the 710 mile trip in 57 hours. Life for a steamboat was short on the brutal, lethal and untamed Missouri and this custom-built 20" draft-190' vessel hit a snag and sank in 1883 near St Charles on the Missouri River.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-30-14, 01:48 AM   #199
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Default June 30

1097 - The Crusaders defeated the Turks at Dorylaeum.

1841 - The Erie Railroad rolled out its first passenger train.

1934 - Adolf Hitler purged the Nazi Party by destroying the SA and bringing to power the SS in the "Night of the Long Knives."

1971 - The Soviet spacecraft Soyuz 11 returned to Earth. The three cosmonauts were found dead inside.
Old 06-30-14, 05:19 AM   #200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

350 - Roman usurper Nepotianus, of the Constantinian dynasty, is defeated and killed by troops of the usurper Magnentius, in Rome.

Old 07-01-14, 12:15 AM   #201
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1200: In China, sunglasses are invented 1887: Clay Allison, gunfighter, dies in a wagon accident in Pecos, Texas. Reburied in 1975, his tombstone reads ""Gentleman and Gunfighter" who "never killed a man that did not need killing." Now that's the Code of the West! 1898; Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders take San Juan Hill in Cuba in the Spanish American War. Teddy is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously in 2001-recieved by his great-grandson Tweed Roosevelt. 1916: 07:30 AM the Battle of the Somme begins...

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-01-14 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 12:25 AM   #202
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

1863 - The Battle of Gettysburg begins

1915 - Leutnant Kurt Wintgens scores the first aerial victory with a synchronised machine gun on his Fokker Eindecker.

1916 - First day of the Battle of the Somme, 19,000 British soldiers are killed and 40,000 wounded.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 05:15 AM   #203
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

70 - Roman General Titus and his forces set up battering rams to assault the walls of Jerusalem

Old 07-01-14, 09:54 AM   #204
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Agfa-Gevaert is "born"!

For the west-german New-Agfa that caused the buying up of smaller manufacturers competing with overseas company doing the same in Germany. And striving for a final solution for their legal issues with their "mother", the east-german Old-Agfa. Which themselves were interested in such settlement too.

But this would not be enough. So the idea came up again to form an alliance with their major european competitor: the belgian Gevaert.
Both companies were of about equal size, both in a strong process of growth. The same time they differed in the markets they meanwhile got their stronghold: Agfa was strongest with consumers, Gevaert with non consumer markets.

In secrecy forms of collaboration were devised which ended in the merger of the two in 1964. Due to the legal situation then in Europe the founding of two new companies on shares was planned: Agfa-Gevaert AG and Gevaert-Agfa NV. Two entities in which Agfa and Gevaert put their plants whereas the shares of each entity were split 50/50.

Together a much stronger No. 2 in the western world emerged, gaining 25% of the production of Kodak.

From the APUG post!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 10:03 AM   #205
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

1867- Canada becomes a nation.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 01:12 PM   #206
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Operation Crossroads: the mid Pacific ain't so "mid'

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
1867- Canada becomes a nation.
1980: O Canada proclaimed the national anthem....1946: Things go BOOM...the first Bikini Atoll test.... I had mushrooms with pot roast last night but still ponder many 60's school hallway drills with my head between my legs-sitzkreig if ever. and the aftermath; as yet unresolved: You'll love the hokey propaganda from an era of 'true belief'!

Old 07-02-14, 07:06 AM   #207
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

963 - The imperial army proclaims Nicephorus Phocas to be Emperor of the Romans on the plains outside Cappadocian Caesarea.

Old 07-02-14, 01:22 PM   #208
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A pellet gun or a sextant-stay focused

1926: The United States Army Air Corps is created. 1937: Amelia Earhart disappears over the Pacific Ocean while attempting the first round the world trip along the equator-probably without a Link 12 bubble sextant... 1982: Larry Walters of San Pedro California uses a lawn chair with 45 helium filled balloons to rise to 16,000 feet and lands eight miles away in Long Beach. "After 45 minutes in the sky, he shot several balloons, and then accidentally dropped his pellet gun overboard. He descended slowly, until the balloons' dangling cables got caught in a power line, causing a 20-minute blackout in a Long Beach neighborhood. Walters was able to climb to the ground. The lawn chair used in the flight was reportedly given to an admiring boy named Jerry, though Walters regretted doing so when the Smithsonian Institution asked him to donate it to its museum. Twenty years later, Larry, by then an adult, sent an email to Mark Barry, a pilot who had documented Walters's story and dedicated a website to it, and identified himself. The chair was still sitting in his garage, attached to some of the original tethers and water jugs used as ballast. The chair is now on loan to the San Diego Air & Space Museum, on exhibition through 2014." Lawnchair Larry" died, sadly, in 1993 at age 44. A former truck driver and security officer like myself, who dared 'rise above it all-California style' he crosses my thoughts often to this day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters . As to the Army Air Corps: My gratitude! My dad, a Pratt chemistry-math engineer grad, signed up for the army after Pearl Harbor along with his classmates. In its wisdom, the army assigned them to chemical weapons ie flame throwers for use against pillboxes-an expendable one-way-trip up the beach to a pillbox slit-and a preferred Jap sniper's target, especially in the Pacific Island campaigns. The heavens opened!: My dad, after basic, transferred to the Air Corps; completed OCS and became an Engineer/Navigator (Short crews in Ferry Command) on B25's and 29's rising to 1st Lt. He never saw any of his classmates again... His offices in the 40's: The navigation station and the engineer station on B-29's The top gun turret came and went; the navigation dome (sextants) stayed...the Link model 12 bubble sextant, obviously the 'weapon of choice' across the wide Pacific; and used on the Enola Gay too. The devil is in the details and Nav math is a lot of details: 5 degrees of variation can be the difference between Howland island or(possibly) ditching at Gardiner Island 500 miles away(Earhart?)...-thanks Dad!

Old 07-02-14, 02:11 PM   #209
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Old 07-03-14, 05:58 AM   #210
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

683 - St Leo II ends his reign as Catholic Pope