Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-16, 09:10 AM   #1546
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1949 Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose) sentenced to 10 years & $10,000 fine.

Tokyo Rose with a few of her friends for a little chat after the war was over.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 06:51 AM   #1547
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1816 First double decked steamboat, Washington, arrives in New Orleans.

1916 The German submarine U-53 arrives off Newport, Rhode Island, and sinks 9 British merchant ships in international waters.

1919 KLM, Royal Ducth Airlines, established (oldest existing airline).

1942 Last camouflaged German raider Komet leaves Flushing (Netherlands).

1942 US & UK government announce establishment of United Nations.

1944 Field Marshal Erwin Rommel ordered to return to Berlin.

1944 Uprising at Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp, Jews burn down crematoriums.

1950 US forces invade North Korea by crossing 38th parallel.

1955 Aircraft carrier USS Saratoga launched at Brooklyn.

2001 The U.S. invasion of Afghanistan starts with an air assault and covert operations on the ground.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 05:07 AM   #1548
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1818 Two English boxers are first to use padded gloves.

1918 American soldier Sgt Alvin York single-handedly kills 25, captures 132 Germans.

1941 Building at Concentration Camp Birkenau begins.

1945 US President Harry Truman announced atomic bomb secret shared with Britain and Canada.

Old 10-08-16, 11:45 AM   #1549
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
On this day in 1871, flames spark in the Chicago barn of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary, igniting a two-day blaze that kills between 200 and 300 people, destroys 17,450 buildings, leaves 100,000 homeless and causes an estimated $200 million (in 1871 dollars; $3 billion in 2007 dollars) in damages. Legend has it that a cow kicked over a lantern in the O’Leary barn and started the fire, but other theories hold that humans or even a comet may have been responsible for the event that left four square miles of the Windy City, including its business district, in ruins.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history
or achievement

Old 10-08-16, 07:22 PM   #1550
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Ameriacan Pie: Fire is the devils only friend"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
^ Fire was the "devil's only friend" that day...in and around Lake Michigan was a bad place 2 B 10/8/1871 [QUOTE] The Peshtigo Fire was a forest fire that took place in and around Peshtigo, Wisconsin. It was a firestorm that caused the most deaths by fire in United States history,and was the deadliest wildfire in recorded history, with estimated deaths of around 1,500 people, possibly as many as 2,500. Occurring on the same day as the more famous Great Chicago Fire, the Peshtigo Fire has been largely forgotten. On the same day as the Peshtigo and Chicago fires, the cities of Holland and Manistee, Michigan, across Lake Michigan, also burned and the same fate befell Port Huron at the southern end of Lake Huron as well.The combination of wind, topography and ignition sources that created the firestorm, primarily representing the conditions at the boundaries of human settlement and natural areas, is known as the Peshtigo Paradigm. The condition was closely studied by the American and British military during World War II to learn how to recreate firestorm conditions for bombing campaigns against cities in Germany and Japan. The bombing of Dresden and the even more severe one of Tokyo by incendiary devices resulted in death tolls comparable to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. [QUOTE] There was no way to fight it and nowhere to run from it. For several hours, it created its own weather, including fire tornadoes that picked up railroad cars and turned burning trees into unguided missiles larger than telephone poles.
Monument in the cemetery. This monument, the nearby mass grave and the Fire Museum are the only reminders of the disaster at Peshtigo.
People didn't just die in Peshtigo. They spontaneously combusted and were cremated by heat that reached 2000 degrees. They succumbed instantly from breathing in poisoned, superheated air. They died of smoke inhalation, were run over by panicked livestock and drowned in the river where they sought refuge. Others were crushed in collapsing buildings, impaled by flying debris and pulverized by all kinds of things dropping out of the sky on top of them. Still others committed suicide rather than face death by fire. There is one known case where a father killed his three daughters and then himself to avoid that fate.
The Peshtigo River was the scene of gruesome irony. People flocked to its frigid waters for protection, but the only way to avoid the heat was to stay underwater. To have a bare head above the water at the height of the fire was deadly. People wet their heads and covered them with wet material to survive. In the process, some died of hypothermia. WEll.... nuthin diabolical goes outta style...in war or peace! Peshtigo Fire
extent

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-16, 09:24 AM   #1551
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1864 Battle of Tom's Brook; Confederate cavalry that harassed Sheridan's campaign is beaten by General Custer & Merrit's cavalry divisions.

1958 Israeli navy inaugrates its first submarine.

2006 North Korea allegedly tests its first nuclear device.

Old 10-10-16, 01:47 PM   #1552
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 German U-boat torpedoes US destroyer Kearney.

1942 1,300 Austrian Jews transported to Theresienstadt concentration camp.

1957 A fire at the Windscale nuclear plant in Cumbria, UK becomes the world's first major nuclear accident.

1957 US President Eisenhower apologizes to the finance minister of Ghana, Komla Agbeli Gbdemah, after he is refused service in a restaurant in Dover, Delaware.

1982 Pope John Paul II canonizes Rev Maximilian Kolbe, who volunteered to die in place of another inmate at Auschwitz concentration camp, a saint.

Old 10-11-16, 08:35 AM   #1553
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 Despite international protest, Edith Cavell, and English nurse in Belgium, is executed by the Germans for aiding the escape of Allied prisoners.

Old 10-12-16, 07:27 AM   #1554
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 Russian government moves from Moscow to Volga as the Germans close in on Moscow.

1942 US navy defeats Japanese in the Battle of Cape Esperance.

1972 46 sailors injured in race riot on American aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk.

1984 IRA bombs the Grand Hotel, Brighton, where British PM Margaret Thatcher is staying, 5 die.

2000 The USS Cole is badly damaged in Aden, Yemen, by two suicide bombers, killing 17 crew members and wounding at least 39.

Old 10-12-16, 10:03 AM   #1555
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1972 46 sailors injured in race riot on American aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk.
Might have turned out a lot worse ... today's Navy is better, I think!

Quote:
The riot was led by African-American crew members who responded violently when Marines attempted to disrupt their protest meetings. Three had to be evacuated to shore hospitals for further treatment. Forty-five to sixty Kitty Hawk crewmen were injured in total. The ship's captain, Marland Townsend, and executive officer, Commander Benjamin Cloud (who was African-American), dissuaded the rioters from further violence. This allowed the carrier to launch her Linebacker air missions as scheduled on the morning of 12 October. Nineteen of the rioters were later found guilty by the Navy of at least one charge connected to the riot.

However, many of its crew were active participants in the SOS movement, having earlier produced a petition with 1,500 signatures to allow Jane Fonda's antiwar show to perform on board, produced their own antiwar newsletter (as did Kitty Hawk, entitled Kitty Litter), and supported dozens of servicemen who refused to board for Vietnam duty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_riot
or achievement

Old 10-12-16, 11:48 AM   #1556
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool Happily hyphenated

1915: Former president Theodore Roosevelt, speaking to the Knights of Columbus in New York, criticized native born Americans who identified themselves by dual nationalities saying: "a hyphenated American is not American at all." WELL Damn! In thinking on this...philosophically: I'm part Irish and Jewish Swabian-German (1910-great grandma, Sarah) on my dad's side and Norman(since 1066at least the Witney side) Scottish & Norwegian on mom's side...oh wait: typical all American interbreeding White-Trash...whew! I got my hyphen back!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 10-13-16, 09:21 AM   #1557
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1812 Battle of Queenstown Heights: British forces defeat United States forces attempting to invade Canada.

1884 Greenwich in London established as the universal time meridian of longitude.

1944 US 1st army begins battle of Aachen, first German city captured during WWII.

1987 First military use of trained dolphins (US Navy in Persian Gulf).

Old 10-13-16, 12:18 PM   #1558
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default They don't call it 'Union' Rugby fer nuthin'

1972:
Quote:
Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 was a chartered flight carrying 45 people, including a rugby union team, their friends, family and associates, that crashed in the Andes on 13 October 1972, in an incident known as the Andes flight disaster and, in the Hispanic world and South America, as the Miracle of the Andes .More than a quarter of the passengers died in the crash and several others quickly succumbed to cold and injury. Of the 27 who were alive a few days after the accident, another eight were killed by an avalanche that swept over their shelter in the wreckage. The last 16 survivors were rescued on 23 December 1972, more than two months after the crash.
The survivors had little food and no source of heat in the harsh conditions at over 3,600 metres (11,800 ft) altitude. -25 below zero! Faced with starvation and radio news reports that the search for them had been abandoned, the survivors fed on the bodies of dead passengers that had been preserved in the snow. Rescuers did not learn of the survivors until 72 days after the crash when passengers
Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa, after a 10-day trek across the Andes, found Chilean Sergio Catalán, who gave them food and then alerted the authorities to the existence of the other survivors.
Weirdly, a Rugby player (6 years) at the time myself, a gruesomely 'Rugby-humor' bumper-sticker materialized...which I recollect seeing several times over the years on several teammates' vehicle bumpers: "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead". This item was to have profound artistic impact...
Quote:
As the director Frank Marshall cruised north toward Los Angeles in August 1991, his attention was abruptly commanded by a red pickup truck that swerved recklessly in front of his BMW. Its bumper sticker bore the legend "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead." Jeffrey Katzenberg, the chairman of Disney Studios, had just sent Mr. Marshall the script of "Alive," based on the true story of a Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes in 1972. Mr. Marshall was profoundly moved by the survivors' courage and wasn't squeamish about making a film dealing with cannibalism. He had a choice: "Swing Kids" or "Alive":
"We were coming back home when this little red truck pulled out in front of us, almost on purpose," Marshall says with a laugh. "And it had that bumper sticker about rugby players eating their dead. I said to my wife, 'Hey, there's the sign we need!'"
He called the studio from his car phone "and told them we were doing 'Alive.'" Marshall says he hasn't seen the bumper sticker since.
"I had never seen that bumper sticker before, and I've never seen it since," the wife, Ms. Kennedy, remembers. "We called Jeffrey right away on the car phone and said, 'We've just seen a vision. We're going to commit to this movie.' We were all laughing, but the way it happened was really too weird."

Old 10-14-16, 07:07 AM   #1559
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1066 Battle of Hastings, Duke William of Normandy and the Norman army defeat English forces of Harold II.

1322 Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence.

1939 German U-47 sinks British battleship HMS Royal Oak, 833 killed.

1942 German assault on Tractor factory, 1000s killed.

1943 600 Jews escape during an uprising at the Nazi concentration Camp in Sobibor, Poland.

1962 US U-2 espionage planes locate missile launchers in Cuba.

Old 10-14-16, 09:35 AM   #1560
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Quite the family affair!

Quote:
1066 Battle of Hastings, Duke William of Normandy and the Norman army defeat English forces of Harold II.
William 'the Bastard' to William 'the Conqueror'...Great PRand knowing precisely when to 'tip your hat' to the crowd to encourage the faltering Normans in mid-battle! as depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry ...probably commissioned by half-brother Odo, History's richest Englishman-the gent on the right-next to William and half-brother Robert>The tapestry actually contains the the few actual pictures of William I; no pictures exist otherwise. Behind every great man is a greater woman!: William's highly capable wife, Matilda, herself a descendant of the house of Wessex, and thus a primary Norman claim to the English throne, built his flagship the Mora out of her own funds:
Quote:
She was a larger ship and carried ten knights with their entourages and equipment. The ship was captained by Airard Fitz Stephen, meaning the son of Stephen,. who remained her captain until William's death in 1087. Stephen received lands in Hampshire, Berkshire, and Warwickshire as reward for his services in the English campaign of 1066. Mora was essentially a 'Viking' ship-the ultimate landing-craft of its day...
<enlarges(Mora on right) This being a naval forum: Note the consecrated papal banner on the Mora's mast; always good to know God is on your side on a October cross-channel invasion....later closely studied for the D-Day invasion. "Nuthin' good goes outta style BBY"