SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-15, 08:09 PM   #1
Scarredclown
Loader

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Attack periscope.

I'm using RFB, i go to periscope depth and make my way almost in the middle of an ennemy convoy. Now, using RFB, how do i attack ???? In my attack periscope, and the left screen module, (forgot its name) the range, bearing, angle, nothing appear ? Must i go manual all the way ? if so i need to learn fast... DDs are approaching !
Old 04-13-15, 01:30 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not sure if you are saying that your game is bugged, or if you just have no idea about manual targeting.

For the moment, I'll assume the later. Manual targeting in RFB is really no different than with any other mods, with the exception of not having map contacts when zoomed in, or the torpedo path on the 'attack map'. Manual targeting is generally taken to mean that you must enter in the required inputs to the TDC, rather than having the 'crew' do it. You don't have to calculate complicated trig problems; the TDC will do that for you.

Before I can really answer your questions, I need to know whether you are:
a) willing to put in some effort to really learning how it was done....

or

b) you just want some simple/easy/fast way to blow up targeted ships....
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 02:38 AM   #3
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

When you point at a ship and press the L key, does the ship data show up in the TDC on the left?
Old 04-13-15, 06:46 AM   #4
Scarredclown
Loader

Ok first i dont think my game is bugged, second i want to learn manual targetting. I know some part of it, even tried it once or twice on single ship. But i like also a fast was to shoot when i am in a convoy attack and time is precious.

Its my TDC that shows no data, i'll try the press L key.

It was easy in stock game to point and click. Now that option seems to be gone in RFB, must i go all the way manual in RFB ?
Old 04-13-15, 07:31 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

You've got to go "all the way" no matter which (if any) mods you use when playing manual targeting. Speed, Aob, Range, Relative Bearing all need to be estimated by you.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 11:43 AM   #6
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

You have to take range/bearing observations over time and plot them on the map. Draw a line straight out from your position in the direction you are facing then take the first range/bearing from the scope and mark that position, wait 3 minutes and take another reading and plot that. When you have got 2 marks, draw a line with the ruler between both points and you have the target course. Measure the distance between both points and you have target speed. For example if the target has travelled 1000 yds in 3 minutes, the speed is 10kts and so on. Now to get AOB, measure the angle between your course line and the target's and you have AOB for the shot. Using this method, do not turn on the PK as it will continue to update the TDC and ruin your solution. Lead the target by 10-15 degrees and wait for it to pass your scope centre line, then fire the torps.

This seems like a lot to do with little time to do it but you will get faster with practice.

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 04:58 PM   #7
Scarredclown
Loader

Well right now, i've decided to uncheck the manual targetting, dropping to about 76% realism. I've too much on my hand with the change in the mods and just getting accustomed to SH4 over SH3 to learn the manual targetting and be efficient at it. I'll get back to it later. Thx guys for all your help.

Now back to that convoy...
Old 04-13-15, 07:18 PM   #8
Scarredclown
Loader

I uncheck the manual targetting, but returning to my saved games, its still manual. Do i have to start a new career for the change to get effect ? Or just return to base ?
Old 04-13-15, 08:10 PM   #9
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

You will have to start a new career. All those setting are permanent once a new career is started.

I would encourage you to strive to conquer manual targeting. For me it's 60% of my enjoyment... Setting up the perfect attack & watching it unfold & your torps run as intended is shear joy to behold.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 06:47 AM   #10
Scarredclown
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
I would encourage you to strive to conquer manual targeting. For me it's 60% of my enjoyment... Setting up the perfect attack & watching it unfold & your torps run as intended is shear joy to behold.
I'll come to that eventually. But first i want to be more efficient at detecting, intercepting and evading before starting to complicate thing a bit with targetting .
Old 04-14-15, 07:01 AM   #11
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

I play the stock game but if I make a change in the realism settings I have to completely exit the game then restart it for changes to take effect.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 08:27 PM   #12
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

The game has separate settings for careers and normal play. The settings used for your career must be accessed through the office bookshelf to the left. You might have to start a new career to change those.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 09:10 PM   #13
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

You should probably chnage realismsettings in your office, between patrols. Then save and exit, then reload. Then you should be fine.

I agree with your plan - get used to the game, then learn the trig game. Although, when the storms rage, you will miss the ability to input target data when visibility is naught but your radar is giving you everything you need for a killer solution