SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-09, 11:52 AM   #46
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Never heard of that one really, at least my monitor is dead silent. A graphics card can actually "squeal" in some applications, which I have heard myself in connection with Dangerous Waters, very weird indeed, but I doubt the TFT monitor itself makes any disturbing noise. My system is very silent, as I hate distracting computer sounds as well (fans, vibrations, and what not...) and I can hear nothing from the monitor even if I try hard.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 07:34 PM   #47
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Do TFTs make noise?
Depends on the quality of the switch mode supply, if the unit runs hot this can happen after a long time, but happens more with a CRT as the more modern ones had a switch mode supply as well as the EHT that often generated a high pitch after years of use, should be ok with good quality monitors.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 08:09 PM   #48
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Well, I found this being mentioned in customer feedbacks at German Amazon, and not rarely. It seems to be especially a problem, so it is reported, with monitors with bright pictures being regulated down in brightness. It is not the graphics board causing it. On Austrian boards I found many customers saying their shops told them that with some models it is a technical design flaw with the background light. Namely the Samsung 2253 and the T220 are said to be vulnerable to this problem. Think if I buy one I stay with the 2233.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-01-09 at 09:30 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:42 PM   #49
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I have done quite a lot of research on the 2433 & had no bad reports from the various forums except fitting the base, I would say the 2233 would be basically the same, my monitor has been put to one side (in stock) & I have been sent an invoice, will be picking it up thursday, hopefully will be a good one,the 2233 & 2433 are no longer availabe & has been replaced by a new model, so just bare that in mind, you may have to act quickly if you really want that model before stock has depleted.
You may also be interested in this review:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17945456

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 06:53 AM   #50
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, the base of the Samsungs is a concern. Anyway, I'll go to a store this afternoon and have a look at the models in real substance. I have put the LG 2252 back on the list of options since it has gotten 100% ratings from customers whereever I looked, and won magazine awards as well. Seems to be a decent piece of hardware, no doubt.
Old 02-04-09, 09:20 AM   #51
Skybird
Soaring

Happyman reporting life from my desktop. I went with the LG monitor in the end, because it got a significant higher share of all-out positive feedbacks from customers in German forums, than the Samsungs. I do not regret it. I was stunned to see how much the picture quality (colour, contrast, brightness) improved, compared to my 9 year old CRT 19". It's a quantum leap, not to mention the higher resolution.

However, all bases I checked in a store, of monitors ranging from 150 - 450 Euros, are a joke. "Solid stand" is a word from a foreign language, it seems. Every small touch to the desk seem to make the monitors to vibrate more or less obvious these days.

In the end, one feature made a difference for me, and that is why I decided for the LG nevertheless. I don'T know if other monitors copy it like this, but at least I did not found it advertised. As I said, I worried about the graphics board eventually not handling the higher workload with the higher resolution, when doing FS9 or Oblivion. While I do loose 0.5-1 frame indeed from jumping from 1280x960 to 1680x1050, this is so minor that I can ignore it. FS9 is not gfx-demanding, but CPU-demanding, and I take benefit from that in this situation. However: those of you needing to worry about a comparable situation when still using an older system, the LG monitor allows you by pressing a button on the monitor to run the monitor in a 4:3 hardware mode, and if you run the critical sim at a 4:3 resolution like you used to do before (set the resolution in the options inside the sim), you will get that exact frame rate and nevertheless unscaled, native crystal-clear laser sharp image quality - without need to launch a software application, without resetting software options before and after running that sim, by simply pressing a button on the monitor exterior. Can't get much more comfortable. I checked the thing with the frames in FS9, and believe me, it works like I said.

If you need to worry about your gfx board handling a widescreen, this info might be helpful to you.

Superb bang-for-the-buck ratio, superb picture quality. LG W2252TQ comes highly recommended.
Old 02-04-09, 10:10 AM   #52
porphy
Commodore

Seems like a good choice Sky. How are colours when flying a dark sky in dusk or dawn? My Samsung monitor is not always capable of displaying the ranges of dark to light colours without banding (clear lines where the transition from dark blue to lighter blue, for example, isn't smooth.) This is my only complaint about my monitor compared to the old crt one.

The feature with 4:3 aspect ratio on the monitor is neat indeed. Much better to have the hardware manage this scaling, especially as Nvidia never manages to fix this broken option in their drivers.

I'm a bit unsure though, how this works. Does it work even if I would choose 1680x1050 for resolution in the sim, because you say the 4:3 aspect ratio display is still in the monitors native resolution? It seems to me that the picture wouldn't come out right then. Don't you still have to pick a resolution in the game which is made for 4:3 aspect ratio, and then push the button when you run the game to enforce the right ratio?

cheers Porphy

W. B.
Old 02-04-09, 10:21 AM   #53
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Gosh Skybird, CRT compared to LCD, specifically a 9 year old CRT, should be the difference between night and day. Not to mention the new found desk space with a LCD. Are you running the LCD with the digital cable or analog? Digital makes all the difference int the world.
Old 02-04-09, 10:53 AM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

Running a DVI cable.

Porphy, maybe I lacked verbal precision, but indeed, while the desktop resolution is now 1680x1050, and when using the 4:3 hardware button, you need to select a 4:3 resolution inside the game, yes. The point is that this is a very comfortable way to achieve this, compared to the separate software somebody recommended some posts above to do that. You simply hit that button, and you're done for that game. You leave the game, hit that button again, et voila! the resolution is crispy, since it is hardware 4:3 resolution you set, and no scaling is being done by the monitor. The result is not new, but it seems to be very easy to achieve here.

I tested it with a couple of games, and probably will use it in ArmA and Oblivion, both of which suffer a bit from the 1680-resolution. Both games look very well, using this 4:3 feature. And again: very easy to achieve the wanted outcome. Press-and-forget.

I got the monitor for 180 euros. For that price, I really cannot complain about colours and how dark areas are looking. For a monitor in the recommended price range of 200-250 euros, to me it seems to be very good. The monitor won several awards last year in German magazines, 1st place for price-value, and some quality awards for monitors in that price segment.

Can it be done better? Probably yes. For this smile price? Don't think so. And if this ones lives only three years, I will cry less than if I have spend 400 Euros or more. I am still somewhat alarmed of the longevity of TFTs compared to CRTs.

What I also liked is that it was truly plug-and-play. Easy-to-reach buttons for picture settings. you can, but you must not install additional software drivers.

Running "Dream Aquarium" has just fooled my parents for some seconds, who visited me by surprise while I just had unpacked the thing.
Old 02-04-09, 11:06 AM   #55
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
I am still somewhat alarmed of the longevity of TFTs compared to CRTs.
Why? I have one that has been going over 5 years and is still being used today. I have never lost a pixel or had a light bulb go out. The TFT quality is good.
Old 02-04-09, 11:18 AM   #56
porphy
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Running a DVI cable.

Porphy, maybe I lacked verbal precision, but indeed, while the desktop resolution is now 1680x1050, and when using the 4:3 hardware button, you need to select a 4:3 resolution inside the game, yes. The point is that this is a very comfortable way to achieve this, compared to the separate software somebody recommended some posts above to do that. You simply hit that button, and you're done for that game. You leave the game, hit that button again, et voila! the resolution is crispy, since it is hardware 4:3 resolution you set, and no scaling is being done by the monitor. The result is not new, but it seems to be very easy to achieve here.

I tested it with a couple of games, and probably will use it in ArmA and Oblivion, both of which suffer a bit from the 1680-resolution. Both games look very well, using this 4:3 feature. And again: very easy to achieve the wanted outcome. Press-and-forget.

I got the monitor for 180 euros. For that price, I really cannot complain about colours and how dark areas are looking. For a monitor in the recommended price range of 200-250 euros, to me it seems to be very good. The monitor won several awards last year in German magazines, 1st place for price-value, and some quality awards for monitors in that price segment.

Can it be done better? Probably yes. For this smile price? Don't think so. And if this ones lives only three years, I will cry less than if I have spend 400 Euros or more. I am still somewhat alarmed of the longevity of TFTs compared to CRTs.

What I also liked is that it was truly plug-and-play. Easy-to-reach buttons for picture settings. you can, but you must not install additional software drivers.

Running "Dream Aquarium" has just fooled my parents for some seconds, who visited me by surprise while I just had unpacked the thing.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. That button is good. I wish my monitor had that press and forget function.

Every time I change graphic drivers I have to fiddle with the software tool that allows for no scaling in nvidia control panel. And even then it's not always reliable, as the option sometimes revert back...

W. B.
Old 02-04-09, 11:20 AM   #57
Skybird
Soaring

I heared people's TFTs going broke after just some years, and that LCD-TV do not live as long as CRT-TV - maybe not even half as long. Pretty much everybody seem to say LCDs do not live as long. - If that proves to be wrong, I certainly will not complain.
Old 02-04-09, 12:22 PM   #58
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
I heared people's TFTs going broke after just some years, and that LCD-TV do not live as long as CRT-TV - maybe not even half as long. Pretty much everybody seem to say LCDs do not live as long. - If that proves to be wrong, I certainly will not complain.
There is no doubt that LCD has come a long way from those first on the market. I was skeptical many years ago letting go of my CRT. But, as time has proven with the LCD I have, longevity is there.
Old 02-04-09, 02:25 PM   #59
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Skybird forget about widescreen monitors, at least for the type of games you're willing to run. Get a nice 1600x1200 4:3 lcd 20" monitor and you'll never regret not buying a widescreen one. If you really really have to get a widescreen, and you don't want to loose vertical resolution get a 1920x1200 one.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 02:41 PM   #60
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Heres the one Im using. No issues with it.
http://www.hannspree.com/US/product_...=23792&c=25693
no noticeable performance drop with my 8800gts.