SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-13, 01:31 PM   #1
DrewC
Nub

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default What got you interested in WWII submarines?

Hey everyone!
I'm 19 years old and would like to regard myself as a WWII history buff. Without a doubt the main thing that got me interested in WWII at a young age (9 or 10) was the constant watching all the old war movies with my dad and brothers- Run Silent Run Deep, The Enemy Below, The Great Escape, Stalag 17, The Desert Rats, Patton, Guadacanal Diaries, Kelly's Heroes, etc, etc. This led to discovering for myself a ton of great war books as well: Das Boot, multiple books by Ambrose, etc. My favorite has got to be Robert Sherrod's account of the Battle of Tarawa. However, the submarine scene has always captivated me the most, and I have to say that I can trace the roots of that back to when my father came home with a awesome surprise for me back in the day: Silent Hunter II.
I guess my question to the subsim community is this. What got you interested in WWII history, and submarines in particular?

Last edited by DrewC; 07-02-13 at 02:12 PM.
DrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 02:41 PM   #2
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

I'm 29, just FYI. First real book I read was Shirer's Sinking of the Bismark. I repeated it and an Edwin Hoyt book about PT Boats called Deadly Craft so many times that both of them are just covers holding loose pages now. Those and a copy of the Reader's Digest World War II in Europe video cassettes and I was thoroughly hooked on WWII.

For submarines, Tom Clancy's books and movies. WWII submarines because that's the last time they were actually in combat and the games for WWII are so much more refined than the modern ones are. Also, almost everything about the WWII subs is declassified. I'm a purist and it irks me to know that what I'm reading or playing is intentionally altered away from reality whether it's for a good cause or not.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:34 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Watching Silent Service on TV in the '50s.
Old 07-02-13, 04:11 PM   #4
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Silent Hunter 2 and Subsim.

I started playing an old copy of SH2 on my old Windows 98 Desktop in my basement about two years ago...

I haven't looked back yet.
Old 07-02-13, 05:05 PM   #5
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Funny you should mention SH2 Red.

Actually I came at it from the other end. I was always interested in all things naval, especially WW2 and the Battle of the Atlantic, but from the Royal Navy and RCN point of view. One day I saw this

on sale and bought it mainly for IL2. I tried SH2 and was hooked.

I've been under water ever since.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 05:19 PM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

It's been so long I don't even remember. My first subsim was 1983's Gato, followed by Silent Service a few years later.

Damn, I've been subsimming for 30 years?!?
Old 07-02-13, 06:15 PM   #7
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Funny you should mention SH2 Red.

Actually I came at it from the other end. I was always interested in all things naval, especially WW2 and the Battle of the Atlantic, but from the Royal Navy and RCN point of view. One day I saw this

on sale and bought it mainly for IL2. I tried SH2 and was hooked.

I've been under water ever since.

Similar Story. I have the exact same Commander's Pack thing.

I started getting into SH2 about 2.5 years ago and now I'm a Wolf of the Pacific.
Old 07-04-13, 10:42 AM   #8
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default I'm with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Watching Silent Service on TV in the '50s.
Me too, Sailor Steve. In fact, I ordered a set of DVDs and am enjoying watching those old black and white shows again. Boy, has broadcast quality come a long way?
Old 07-05-13, 03:31 PM   #9
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Me too, Sailor Steve. In fact, I ordered a set of DVDs and am enjoying watching those old black and white shows again. Boy, has broadcast quality come a long way?
That was my intro too. I had the books WWII in Pictures (a 3 volume set) and the one picture that really stood out to me was one of a sinking Japanese destroyer. The picture was taken through a periscope, and it just grabbed me. When I got to watch "The Silent Service" I was hooked forever. Once the games started coming I was in heaven. Hunt for Red October; 688i, you name it. I bought it. But what keeps me in it now is SHIV, modded with TMO2.5 and RSRD, with as many small mods as I can apply without crashing.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:15 AM   #10
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
Hey everyone!
I'm 19 years old and would like to regard myself as a WWII history buff. Without a doubt the main thing that got me interested in WWII at a young age (9 or 10) was the constant watching all the old war movies with my dad and brothers- Run Silent Run Deep, The Enemy Below, The Great Escape, Stalag 17, The Desert Rats, Patton, Guadacanal Diaries, Kelly's Heroes, etc, etc. This led to discovering for myself a ton of great war books as well: Das Boot, multiple books by Ambrose, etc. My favorite has got to be Robert Sherrod's account of the Battle of Tarawa. However, the submarine scene has always captivated me the most, and I have to say that I can trace the roots of that back to when my father came home with a awesome surprise for me back in the day: Silent Hunter II.
I guess my question to the subsim community is this. What got you interested in WWII history, and submarines in particular?
I had always been interested in Military History. World War II was a natural focus for me since my grandfather was a WWII vet. He never really talked too much about it and after hearing his stories secondhand from my mother and uncle, I understood why. (For the record, he was on a militarized C2) Despite my own Army background, I found subs fascinating. I vaguely remember playing Silent Service on the NES back in the early 90's. Yep, back in the day, Subsims made it to the Nintendo. Fast forward about 15 years or so, I decided to go to college for Military History back in 2007. I am halfway to my Master's degree in Military History, now. I remember writing for my Bachelor's capstone, which was about subs of course, and my professor flat out told me he learned something in regards to America's submarine service during the war. I picked up SH III and SH4 on a good sale from Direct2Drive back in 2010 and I have been crash diving since. To make my own experiences even wilder, I joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary last year and recently completed the Coastal Navigation course. Playing subsims hard core helped with this dramatically Dead Reckoning? No problem. Fuel Management? No problem. Speed-Distance calcs? No problem.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 10:56 AM   #11
Boeing727fan
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 51
Default Living near water

I grew up in Erie, PA which is a port city on Lake Erie. I have always been interested in shipping and history, but what turned my interest toward submarines, was watching "Down Periscope" when I was 11 years old.
Boeing727fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 12:16 PM   #12
GrafDodiko
Nub

Downloads: 20

To keep it short: I don't know exactly. I come from southern bavaria in germany so I'm pretty close to the alps. But I always was fascinated with ships and navigating on sea. I even considered studying nautical science in hamburg (but then went with material science).

The intriguing thing about submarines/u-boats for me ist, that they are a little bit built like spaceships. Everything is built with redundancy for safty and its narrow and uncomfortable. This is what makes it interesting because it's a challange...

I could go on like this but you get the idea
GrafDodiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 01:15 PM   #13
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Like a few other people have mentioned I started out with watching the Silent Service TV show from the 50s. In high school it was anything about the Pacific War that I could find to read.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 04:03 PM   #14
grislyatoms
Medic

Downloads: 31
Default PBY Catalina

My Grandad piloted a PBY Catalina in WWII. His recollections were what got me into naval sims. First sim I played was Gato at my cousin's house. Played Silent Service 1 and 2, AOD, Jane's 688, SHIII GWX (still playing) and now currently SHIV TMO.
Old 07-09-13, 05:17 PM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grislyatoms View Post
My Grandad piloted a PBY Catalina in WWII. His recollections were what got me into naval sims. First sim I played was Gato at my cousin's house. Played Silent Service 1 and 2, AOD, Jane's 688, SHIII GWX (still playing) and now currently SHIV TMO.
A salute to his service!

The Catalinas are my favorite flying boat. The crews certainly have my respect.