SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-13, 09:23 AM   #1
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 Pro ( Blue )
Evaluation Copy Build 9431

Read-me for anyone thinking of Up-Grading to Windows 8.1 or Blue as it maybe called

Ok I have just finished downloading windows blue evaluation copy build 9431 so lets install it
The same old same as on start up you know terms of use, key code and of it goes. first thing different is the blue glass logo is gone and has been replaced with a very colourful fish with bubbles coming from its mouth. ok you think to yourself maybe its trying to catch that round twirling loading thingy at the bottom of the screen.
But there is no time to contemplate that for very long as restart brings you back to the real world (at this time I suggest you remove the disk image from the drive as sometimes it will attempt to restart the install)
And after that it writes system files and installs devices and then starts with your user details and then starts Windows 8.

Ok side notes ..... total time to install approx 10 to 15 mins. (I was too busy watching that dam fish) total space taken from Hard Drive 30Gb approx 15Gb less then Windows 7 for some reason I think its something to do with not installing dead weight. (but if there is something you need to run an older program it will ask if you wish to install it)

Ok lets get back to it then .... after preparing apps it start on the apps screen GGRrrrr I don't like this bit so there I am clicking on all the live tiles turning them off. and then I press the desktop tile which takes me to well the Desktop.
And there it is the start button the power to control the universe ... Ok Windows 8 at least.
So if I left click the start button I go back to the apps screen But if I right click it the old style start with a different look pops up . And now the bit I have been waiting to try out .... right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen select properties and then the Navigation Tab and then select "Go to the Desktop instead of start when I sign in"
and also show desktop on start just for fun and then restarted.
And yes it works although I can still select apps screen/start from the start button with a left click if I want to go to it to move any short cut to the task bar.

24hours into using this Evaluation copy and I must say all works great. all my programs I used in Windows 7 are working fine.
With a little help from a program called 8gadgetpack all my old Gadgets are on my Desktop and working.
For me using Window 8.1 is the way to go the reaction time to any action is super fast
in the past I have used 95, XP, Vista, 7 and now Windows 8.1 and on my new build this is the fastest and maybe the best.
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:00 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
"Go to the Desktop instead of start when I sign in"
That's the bit that'll get the users, nevermind the speed. Any stumbling blocks at all?
Old 07-02-13, 10:17 AM   #3
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
That's the bit that'll get the users, nevermind the speed. Any stumbling blocks at all?
Only one I found was with windows update attempt to install a driver to my sound card that shuts it down I just hid the update to stop this
Old 07-02-13, 10:32 AM   #4
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

It is still in preview though, so not everything is final, things are subject to change.

I hear it is pretty unstable though, so I won't be flashing it yet (on vacation with a surface pro as my only computer). I will be trying when I get home.

Hopefully they fix the goddamned xbox music app and the mail app
Old 07-02-13, 11:04 AM   #5
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
It is still in preview though, so not everything is final, things are subject to change.

I hear it is pretty unstable though, so I won't be flashing it yet (on vacation with a surface pro as my only computer). I will be trying when I get home.

Hopefully they fix the goddamned xbox music app and the mail app

I have not found any instability with 8.1 as for the apps I turn them off and use media player and Windows live mail although when I do use them they work if you have a live.co.uk email
Old 07-03-13, 01:45 AM   #6
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

if you really want a start menu you can get something FOR FREE that gives you your start menue from here http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 05:27 AM   #7
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I have not found any instability with 8.1 as for the apps I turn them off and use media player and Windows live mail although when I do use them they work if you have a live.co.uk email
I have just received a patch from Gigabyte for their Graphics driver 320.49
Which they say will stop instability when using Window 8,
Just go's to show that you can blame Windows 8 for most things until the real
Reason is discovered.
At this time its fair to say with the release of Windows Blue (test version) or 8.1
if you like most of the old Bitching is now laid to rest.

So to sum up you can have Window 8 running to look like Windows 7 with very little
effort if that is what you like.
Windows 8.1 installs much faster than 7 boots faster shuts down faster runs faster performs tasks faster runs games smoother.
(and as some silly boy post said what are you going to do with all those extra seconds)
well I am not talking seconds in the case of installing both the operating system and updates we are talking hours.
And as for starting games and running faster we are talking how well Windows 8
handles running programs so less chance of crashing or stuttering.

Oh yes and this is based on running the different systems right in front of me and
not something I have read somewhere

a small tip for anyone wanting to install 8 after install wait for a while as 8 will
attempt to install all updated necessary drivers don't start placing a disc in the drive straight away