SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-09, 06:07 PM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Strange PC problem

My brother called a little bit ago and his computer is giving him strange problems. It is a 4 or so year old Gateway. At first he said that it is shutting itself off randomly and when he goes to restart sometimes it doesn't do anything. It doesn't even make it to the beginning Gateway logo screen (or whatever the first screen is). It has to be turned off and on multiple times before it does anything. When it doesn't do anything the computer sounds like it's on and running. This lead me to think it may be the power supply. Now I learn that when it "shuts down" it doesn't actually shut down. It seems more like it is sleeping. He cannot wake it. He has to manually turn it off. Then it may do what I said above about it not getting to the initial boot screen. I wonder if it could be the motherboard? If it was the hard drive or something else, wouldn't it at least get to the initial boot screen and the BIOS settings?
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 06:51 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I certainly would have looked at the PSU first, did you try with another?
Maybe one of the cards has a fault, try removing all the cards, even the video card, should power up, might just keep beeping but atleast it will narrow things down, if it still shuts down then I would check all connections, failing that it's possibly the motherboard. I'm not familiar with that computer including the bios arrangement, can he enter the bios, and if so does it shut down in there? if not it could simply be the battery.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 07:33 PM   #3
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
This lead me to think it may be the power supply.
I think so also (according to your desription). Try to remove all devices that not nesasery needed to boot up system, such as dvd drive,floppy disc and see the computer reaction.
Old 02-21-09, 08:40 PM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
I agree on the PS. Easy test - next time it shuts down - have him pull the power cable off the psu - even if its till running. If he can count to 30 - plug it back in and turn the pc back on and it runs first time every time - its definitely the PS. Its a test I suggest trying 2-3 times just to confirm.

The reasoning here is that it sounds like the ps is no longer providing full power as it should - the mb goes into a low power state - then gets stuck in it. Pulling the incoming power lets the ps drain down entirely - so when he plugs in and repowers - it runs for a while again before failing.

There is the possibility of it being the mb - but right now the ps is definitely the most likely culprit.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 10:20 AM   #5
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152

yes I agree with t'others - try another psu first.
Old 02-22-09, 10:42 AM   #6
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Thanks guys. I will mention to test the PSU.
Old 02-22-09, 10:54 AM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Could it be the battery needs to be replaced on the motherboard?
Old 02-22-09, 11:23 AM   #8
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
That crossed my mind as well. If it was the battery wouldn't the computer still boot up but not retain the BIOS settings? Essentially wouldn't you have to keep reapplying your BIOS settings every time you turn on the computer?
Old 02-22-09, 11:28 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
That crossed my mind as well. If it was the battery wouldn't the computer still boot up but not retain the BIOS settings? Essentially wouldn't you have to keep reapplying your BIOS settings every time you turn on the computer?
I've never had this particular problem, but I have heard about it. The fix is easy, just replace the battery. (if you're comfortable with digging around in your pc)
Old 02-22-09, 11:47 AM   #10
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
If it was the CMOS battery you would get an error every time you booted - either a CMOS error loading defaults - or a msg saying hit whatever key to enter setup.

You can run a MB without a battery just fine - as long as you dont reboot it. It won't care one bit.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 08:49 PM   #11
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Speaking of batteries, if the cpu/ram speeds were tweaked timing to run too fast the cmos will crash, no problems with most motherboards but some just keep shutting down, the best thing to do in this situation is remove the battery, wait for a few minutes for the caps to discharge then replace it, this clears the cmos but you then have to re-enter the time/date etc.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote