Old 04-21-19, 05:46 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Two news from the UK armed forces

https://defence-blog.com/army/britis...y-a-third.html

https://defence-blog.com/news/royal-...-3-months.html

Not good with the tanks. They are outdating rapidly, and now get cut in numbers.

Autonomous submarines will be a logical consequences of military drone sin general, which will become autonomous by necessity. So why not such a huge platform like a complete sub? Money. Projects like this take huge bites out of the budget. On the other hand: the RN struggles with recruitment.

Add this to the very arguable decision to build these two huge carriers which need enormous money sums to maintain, to arm with expensive planes, and crews.

To me its all more signs of general Western decline. Different to carriewrs, I think it is too early to dceclare tanks dead wepaons on modenr battlefields. The Israelis proved that wrong. The Americna wards in Iraq proved it wrong. The use of tanks in Iraq and Afghanistan proved it wrong. It was said tnaks were not for urban warzones. It showed that they are tough adversaries if only you adopt your tactics of using them properly.

I think that Russian new tank, Armata, is much better than the jesters and critics in the West are ready to admit. Reminds me a bit of the time when the T-72 showed up and rang the alarm bells in Germany (Leopards) and Washington (M60s). Juzst that the T-72 onyl was a tozguh bug to crack open and delivered a fearsome punch to the weakley armed but mobiule Wetsenr tanks, else was techncually inferior and hat not night viiuson - while the Armata is not only well armed and well armed,e but also fgeatures a up-to-date electgrinics and sensor suite and quite some innovations. New taqnks in the West are needed. Not reducing their numbers. Even the Germans understood that and refurbish at least some of their old Leopard-2A5s (and there is not much the German defense policy does right these days). But the Brits reduce their tank fleet...??

Maybe its because Britian is an island, and defending the continent is no longer planned for.
Old 04-22-19, 05:16 AM   #2
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Oh well may be a few museums here and around the world will buy our tanks for display. Our government is more interested in being a pimp than protecting the UK.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 12:28 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I presume there are many factors that have been taken into consideration, especially, if like me, you believe the UK has been punching above its weight for a few decades now.

We continue to spend large sums on the navy for example, to project some semblence of power overseas as well as a means of protecting our overseas interests such as the Falklands and Gibraltar.

I doubt Europe is now of all that much interest now and lets be honest, Germany and a few others have been getting away with downsizing for years.

Also at the end of the day I believe your last sentence above (see below) may well have a certain ring of truth to it.

Quote:
Maybe its because Britian is an island, and defending the continent is no longer planned for.
We do of course, continue to maintain a nuclear deterrency capability.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 09:55 AM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

RN is looking for UUVs that have the same requirements (for conventional missions) as the Russian Navy UUVs, US UUVs, etc. This seems like a trend, to automated some missions (that do not require a lot of human input).