SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-13, 06:36 AM   #1
peteuplink
Mate

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Help with a script.

I'm attempting to recreate a mission from the old game 688 Attack Sub where you have to ping another submarine to make it leave the area.

At the moment I have:

If
Sub a detect sub b with active sonar
And
Range less than 1nm
Then
Run script Move

And script move is for sub b to set course 270 and increase speed to 15 knots for 240 seconds.

I've set trigger to display the word 'ping' when I've met the conditions. The word displays but the sub will not set course to 270 or speed up... Any ideas what I may be doing wrong, or any suggestions as to a better way to achieve my goal?
peteuplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:29 AM   #2
peteuplink
Mate

Never mind, I've solved it.

One final thing. I have the mission set so that if I move to the sub I'm tracking and ping it within 1 nm he disengages and heads out of the area and the scenario is complete. But is this a realistic solution to the scenario? Anyone have any knowledge of what the real procedure would be?
Old 06-18-13, 11:34 AM   #3
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

I think it depends on the rules of engagement, overall situation and so forth...concerning your mission you might randomize the behavior of the hostile sub...eg. 50% chance that it leaves the area, 20% it attacks you, 30% other things...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 01:24 PM   #4
peteuplink
Mate

Thanks, Hawk. I'll try and integrate those options into the scenario I'm building.

What I'm trying to do at the moment is create 'cold war' style missions, to build into an escalating campaign, so the first one is a routine patrol in the North Atlantic in a 688i with a Russian gate crasher that I have to locate, track and then get close enough (1 mile) to ping it to drive it away. As a secondary, non-critical, objective I need to get within 500yards and stay there for more than 30 minutes to record the plant noise of the Russian. Obviously the Russian is set to avoid me to make it harder for me to get close enough to ping or record it.

I actually know very little about modern submarine operations, so I have no idea if these objectives are realistic or not, and I'm just fishing for ideas.
Old 06-19-13, 01:08 AM   #5
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

I'd encourage you to follow up on your ideas. Such missions are rarely available...

Apart from the mission editor, you have further the undocumented feature of writing mission-custom AI behavior with doctrine scripts (a kind of a simple programming language for dangerous waters)...which might be come handy for your kind of missions (detail control of enemy AI subs etc.)

I've written a wiki article about that....but unfortunately the DW Wiki is down currently....but if you wanna later make use this feature, just ask.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 03:23 AM   #6
peteuplink
Mate

Cool! I'd like to know more about the doctrine scripts when the DW Wiki is back up. Anything I can add to make scenarios more dynamic.

Another mission I'm attempting to work on is based on a real life cold war mission where a US submarine had to sneak into the black sea and use its radio masts to gather sensitive Soviet data from Sevastopol while remaining undetected. They were detected and had to evade the Russians for 12 hours. The captain eventually escape by sneaking out of the black sea in the wake of an exiting Russian destroyer.