SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-11, 11:17 PM   #2056
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny927 View Post
hello, yesterday after waiting for a reply about my problem i discover in wikipedia all dates about the most important battles ocurred in the ww2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_War

apart all the awful thing happen in only 4 years, in this page, scroll down and i can see all battles, my question is, these battles are in game too?

thanks
I would say RSRD has 90% of all battles scripted almost perfectly from correct port departures, course and the actual battle as much as the game will allow, stock doe's a very poor job.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 03:00 AM   #2057
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
hello, yesterday after waiting for a reply about my problem i discover in wikipedia all dates about the most important battles ocurred in the ww2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_War

apart all the awful thing happen in only 4 years, in this page, scroll down and i can see all battles, my question is, these battles are in game too?

thanks
Yes, the battles are in the game, and the IJN is right where they are supposed to be. Even if you know where they will be, and are waiting for them (r-e-a-l quietly), its still tough getting a good solution.

I've been trying the same attack on the Tokiyo Express at least 4 times now. 5 DDs and a light cruiser, cruising towards Guadalcanal at least 25 kts. Really tough to get close enough for a solution when I can only do two to three knots.

I really prefer loner merchantmen, myself. You should find them in Molucca Straits and along the coast of French Indo-China. Use the shipping lanes pull down map on the radio button to get in the right area. RADAR is a real boon to 'hunting'.

Many good lucks for you!
Old 12-20-11, 11:03 PM   #2058
denny927
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 213

well, is a good thing, but not resolve my problem, so, there is a trick for increase the(global) traffic?
denny927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 11:14 PM   #2059
jeff lackey
A-ganger

Downloads: 11

OK, just checking in to post first timer comments on the mod.

Background: played just about every sub (and flight) sim since GATO on the Apple ][ WAY back when.

Playing 1.5, TMO 2.2 and this mod. That's it in terms of mods.

First, as others have said, very nice improvement in the mission objectives and overall feeling of reality in terms of missions, messages, etc.

Starting in Pearl Dec 7, 1941, first mission in Luzon Straits. Only found a couple of merchants, took more torpedoes than it should have due to duds, but sunk them both (one, at night, I slowed down with the one torp that hit and damaged it, then finished it off with deck guns.)

For those who complain that there aren't enough airplanes, I don't know where you get that. Any time I come close to a Japanese port or land base that has aircraft I get a plane coming at me. Most I can crash dive and avoid damage (although my first campaign actually ended with a plane hitting us while still trying to repair some damage from a previous air attack, and we couldn't stop the flooding in time, and we sank.) From a lot of reading, it feels about "right" - if I go somewhere in daytime where I would expect some air activity, I typically see it. If I can get down quickly enough, we can usually avoid damage, but it isn't always easy to get down in time.

As far as the shipping: Again it feels "right." Read the history of the US Submarine service, it is a big ocean, and the odds of finding a few ships is low at any given time. You can easily miss seeing any traffic, find one or two merchants, or run into a huge convoy, and everything in between. If you are looking for a more arcade game, this isn't it. If you are looking for a sim in which you are guaranteed action every patrol, this isn't it. If you are looking for an experience closer to what an actual submarine commander might face at the time ---- this is it.

Very nice job, does what it does and what it advertises to do extremely well. Kudos.
jeff lackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 11:30 PM   #2060
denny927
Electrician's Mate

im so sorry but i can not agree with you man, alot of people play in a different form, for you and for other people maybe pass the rule 100% realism, maybe with a official commodore hat in the head all day long, but for me and for other people is good a little bit of action, you prefeer avoid the time compression and complete a single campaign after 1 year of real life,i see the gameplay in my optic, i like sh4, but in other way, and i repeat, im not saying this mod is awful, no man, this mod is like a bottle of water after 1 month in the desert

anyway, the world is wonderful because we think different.....im not searching in arcade game, i know, ive already play battlestation midway/pacific and dont like me, but maybe in more action in sh4....yes....why not?

and i played silent service on the commodore amiga 500 in my childhood, very very good times

take care and have a good night

Last edited by denny927; 12-20-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 12:12 AM   #2061
jeff lackey
A-ganger

Downloads: 11

Quote:
im so sorry but i can not agree with you man, alot of people play in a different form, for you and for other people maybe pass the rule 100% realism, maybe with a official commodore hat in the head all day long, but for me and for other people is good a little bit of action, you prefeer avoid the time compression and complete a single campaign after 1 year of real life,i see the gameplay in my optic, i like sh4, but in other way, and i repeat, im not saying this mod is awful, no man, this mod is like a bottle of water after 1 month in the desert

anyway, the world is wonderful because we think different.....im not searching in arcade game, i know, ive already play battlestation midway/pacific and dont like me, but maybe in more action in sh4....yes....why not?

and i played silent service on the commodore amiga 500 in my childhood, very very good times

I don't see where we are disagreeing. You say you want more action than the average real life sub commander might have seen. That's fine. I didn't say that was wrong. I just said that what this mod does is exactly what it promises: it provides the type of traffic and target environment that is closer to what the commanders of the actual war saw.

If that's not what you want, no one is saying that is wrong or bad, just that this mod is not what you are looking for. For those of us who ARE looking for it, however, this mod is the best way to get it.

(And I do use time compression, LOL!)
jeff lackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 12:39 AM   #2062
denny927
Electrician's Mate

ok, no problem mate
Old 12-21-11, 01:00 AM   #2063
itsthewoo
Swabbie

So, I'm having an issue when starting on the January 2nd, 1942 date in TF 3/51/71.

While traveling to the first patrol, I get sighted at ridiculously far range by a convoy that then shells the crap out of me. My watchmen don't see them until after a considerable amount of shelling, and they are even able to do this in near pitch-black night.

What's up with that?
itsthewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 03:25 AM   #2064
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:

Selling the Commodore Amiga by just comparing the opening animation with the static screen of the Atari ST made my job much eaiser. I sold over 100 Amigas, and many of those sales came through just this comparison. Also, playing Silent Service made slow days go alot faster. The Amiga was THE cutting edge computer (at that time), and Silent Service one of the best gaming experiences.

Sorry to get a little off subject, but I get all jazzed when anybody just mentions the Amiga. My personal nickname was "Chuckadore".

The vanilla SH4 will give you more targets, RSRDC is much more of the 'look and feel' of REAL sub patrols. I have returned from a 60 day patrol with only 5 Sampans to my credit, then chalk up 60,000 tons on my next patrol before I even get to my patrol area. Some of the RL sub crews must have gotten stir-crazy on a few of their patrols. BTW, traffic improves alot in late '42 through most of '43 then starts tapering off in mid '44. By 1945, your going to be attacking alot of fishing boats and sampans. Gives your deck gun crew something to do.
Old 12-21-11, 02:51 PM   #2065
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Lots of traffic in and out of Manila bay mid 42.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 03:24 PM   #2066
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Lots of traffic in and out of Manila bay mid 42.
convoys or singles?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 07:25 PM   #2067
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
convoys or singles?
Both convoys, and singles. Lots of tankers through the area too.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:39 AM   #2068
denny927
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
Selling the Commodore Amiga by just comparing the opening animation with the static screen of the Atari ST made my job much eaiser. I sold over 100 Amigas, and many of those sales came through just this comparison. Also, playing Silent Service made slow days go alot faster. The Amiga was THE cutting edge computer (at that time), and Silent Service one of the best gaming experiences.

Sorry to get a little off subject, but I get all jazzed when anybody just mentions the Amiga. My personal nickname was "Chuckadore".

The vanilla SH4 will give you more targets, RSRDC is much more of the 'look and feel' of REAL sub patrols. I have returned from a 60 day patrol with only 5 Sampans to my credit, then chalk up 60,000 tons on my next patrol before I even get to my patrol area. Some of the RL sub crews must have gotten stir-crazy on a few of their patrols. BTW, traffic improves alot in late '42 through most of '43 then starts tapering off in mid '44. By 1945, your going to be attacking alot of fishing boats and sampans. Gives your deck gun crew something to do.
thanks man for this little off topic, amiga still in my heart, despite for so many years passing by.i have winUAE, and a lot of games(sadly called nowadays abandonware) still working pretty well on w7

about yor comment, yesterday i tryed again following the second mission and surprise....near surabaya, a jap subamarine now is part of my sinkin list

in the third mission in 27 feb.1942, a couple of takao already sinked and near of these, a huge convoy(almost 30 unit) is approaching fast...so, apologize for my whims, confirmed by a merchant, convoys, and TF layer in '42, no routes near surabaya, as far surabaya captured in march 42

thanks again to all, and merry christmas guys....
Old 12-23-11, 03:36 AM   #2069
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
thanks man for this little off topic, amiga still in my heart, despite for so many years passing by.i have winUAE, and a lot of games(sadly called nowadays abandonware) still working pretty well on w7

about yor comment, yesterday i tryed again following the second mission and surprise....near surabaya, a jap subamarine now is part of my sinkin list
What is winUAE? Some sort of Amiga Simulator? If so, we must talk some more.

Concerning your patrol near Surabaya . . . that puts you one ahead of me. I have never even seen an enemy sub in all the time I've been playing (Japanese or German).

"Chuckadore"
Old 12-23-11, 06:52 AM   #2070
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1
Default 5 Medals of Honor

I have 5 medals of honor now. Are there any other medals in the game?
Using RFB + RSRDC.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote