SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-18, 03:32 PM   #106
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBUNA
Well, I've alluded to it once and I shall again....this thread is beginning to look like a clear case of misogyny.
I AGREE. I PROPOSE THAT THIS THREAD BE TEMPORAILY CLOSED FOR A CERTAIN PERIOD TIME TO OBSERVE THE TRUTH OF THE SLIGHTLY MISOGYNISTIC CASE BEING PRESENTED. NOT AS A DISCIPLINARY MOVE BUT AS A LEGIT ''WAIT AND SEE'' STUDY. THIS, AS WE HAVE A WORLD-CLASS OPPORTUNITY TO SEE IF THE THREAD'S ARGUMENT ACTUALLY HOLDS. ESSENTIALLY, AS IN ANY EXPERIMENT, A CLEAN FIELD(PETRI DISH) IS REQUIRED; AND ONE HAS PRESENTED ITSELF: SAUDI ARABIAN WOMEN HAVE BEEN JUST BEEN ALLOWED TO START DRIVING THEMSELVES WHERE FORMERLY THEY WERE NOT, UNDER MALE-DOMINATED ISLAMIC AND CULTURAL RULES. THE BAN ENDS SUNDAY. THIS SHOULD SHORTLY PROVE TO BE A REVELATORY AND UNPARALLELED TEST OF THE THREAD'S CONTENTION AND WILL SETTLE THE MATTER AS STATISTICAL DATA WILL THEN OBVIATE ANY MALE BIASED OPINION...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-23-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 04:48 PM   #107
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
No answer eh, whats a matter Chicken?
Nope... been away since last Thursday. We survived a long drive (by UK standards) to attend a family reunion.

To answer your question, I didn't see the driver.... I was too busy trying to avoid a wreck. But Moira did... "It's a woman", she said

@ Aktung... the same thought occurred to me when I saw this interesting news; an empirical opportunity? Perhaps... perhaps not; will this presumably very small number of inexperienced women drivers really be enough to provide a definitive answer?

In any case, my thread wasn't conceived as a platform for debate... only as a diary of my experiences

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 06-26-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 07:35 PM   #108
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EICHHÖRCHEN
will this presumably very small number of inexperienced women drivers really be enough to provide a definitive answer?
EXTRAPOLATE LAD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrapolation I PREFER THE 'FRENCH CURVE' METHOD MYSELF!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 07-06-18, 05:16 AM   #109
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=86

I am seriously pondering my chances of survival now. I just took Moira to the in-laws and on the way up the road, as we approached the same bend mentioned above and at 30 mph, a small car rocketed around it on OUR side of the road. Moira exclaimed "Jesus Christ!" as the woman driver hauled her vehicle across to the inside (where she should have been) and just avoided us. She looked about bloody 16 years old and I reckon she was doing at least 50.

Please, just what am I doing wrong.... how can I improve my driving skills to avoid nearly killing all these female drivers?
Old 07-06-18, 05:41 AM   #110
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

My theory states that women ar not worse drivers than men, indeed they cause a lot less damage and roadkill. That's statistics.

Another proposal to make roads more safe:
Illegal immigrants are the best and most cautious drivers.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 07-06-18, 05:46 AM   #111
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

They cause less damage because men try to keep away from them. And statistics can be manipulated to fit any agenda
Old 07-06-18, 10:30 AM   #112
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default DEAR DIARY:

I don't go in for lies, damned lies or statistics; I much prefer the evidence of my own eyes...

There's a narrow two-lane road comes off one of our town roundabouts, at the end of which you can either go straight on into a store unloading bay, turn left into a large car park serving a run of shops (Halfords, Pets at Home etc), or turn right into the ALDI car park. Today, the blonde woman driving the car in front of us indicated she wanted to go into the car park on the left but then suddenly she stopped. She set off again but turned to the right instead. Then she stopped again, this time with her vehicle straddled diagonally across both lanes. She then put the thing into reverse; she'd concluded that she didn't want to be here at all and that she was going to turn around right here... on the access road... in front of all the other cars queueing to get in. No, she wasn't going to waste time continuing on and turning in one of the car parks.

And there's more....

I finally got parked in the ALDI car park and switched on the radio while Moira went in. After a while a blonde woman turned up and got into the car on my right. She started up and there followed a loud grinding noise as she tried to drive it up onto the kerb and over the pedestrian walkway in front of us. She changed her mind about this, reversed and drove off, without even getting out for a look.

Just saying....
Old 07-06-18, 02:42 PM   #113
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

You have Aldi, in England?
I thought they only expanded to the US and Australia, under the name of Trader Joe's?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 07-06-18, 05:16 PM   #114
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes, mate... we've had Aldi for ages. We had Lidl first though
Old 07-06-18, 07:13 PM   #115
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
And statistics can be manipulated to fit any agenda
What agenda do you think the police have, other than to report accidents?
What agenda do you think the insurance people have, other than to maximize their profits.

Quote:
I don't go in for lies, damned lies or statistics; I much prefer the evidence of my own eyes...
The problem here isn't whether you saw what you saw, or think you saw. I stopped believing my own eyes years ago. But that's just me.
The problem is that you want everybody else to believe the evidence of your own eyes. Yes, statistics can be manipulated. On the other hand, what evidence do we have for your story, beyond your own say-so?

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 07-07-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 06:11 AM   #116
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Let the statistics stand, by all means; I fully appreciate that raw statistics are all the insurance industry and police have to work with, but I object to the way they are used, politically, to lecture us that women are better drivers. The insurers and police will know that... statistically... men spend far more time at the wheel than women; most cab, bus and truck drivers I've seen are men, so this must influence the statistics, but all on its own it surely gives the lie to the assertion that women are better drivers. if I produced a survey showing that far fewer men injured themselves with needles during sewing-bees, I couldn't then go around telling people that this showed men to be more skilful at sewing than women. Statistics are what they are... nothing more... if they show women to be involved in fewer accidents then that's all they show. It doesn't mean that women are better drivers.

Sure, my remark about agendas was dismissive but I'm not alone in being suspicious about the uses statistics are put to: the line about 'lies' was of course a gentle adaptation of Mark Twain's famously dismissive quote, so I would have thought I was in good company there (with an American, at least). But on the science, over here we've seen two separate scientific reports mentioned recently, both about the susceptibilty of overweight women who are fit (having good blood-pressure readings etc) to heart-attack. One study said that they are at greater risk, the other said that they are not; two separate studies, two diametrically opposed results. You only have my own say-so, but I heard it on BBC Radio 4 News.

So as to whether I saw what I've said that I saw (and if I'm not to consign your remarks to the statistical pile marked "Simply Unfriendly")... I'm a person who does not drink and drive, will not drive unless I've had a good night's sleep, and would never drive if I thought medications or pain were affecting me. Sure, you only have my word for all this but, given what I just said, I've given my descriptions as explicitly and unambiguously as I can.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 07-07-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 09:22 AM   #117
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Then let the statistics stand, by all means. I fully appreciate that raw statistics are all the insurance industry and police have to work with, but I object to the way they are used, politically, to lecture us that women are better drivers.
I don't recall anyone lecturing anybody about that. I've spent my whole life reading all the jokes about how terrible women drivers are. In spite of all that, I've never actually seen it. Sure, I've seen women do some pretty stupid things, but I've seen men do some pretty stupid things as well. I live in a medium-sized city (right around one million people) and on the whole the reports I've seen seem to balance out.

Quote:
The insurers and police will know that... statistically... men spend far more time at the wheel than women; most cab, bus and truck drivers I've seen are men, so this must influence the statistics...
Really? Maybe where you live. I admit that the truckers are mostly men, but I've seen a fair share of women driving big rigs as well, and they seem to be fully competent as far as I can tell. As far as buses go, it's been my experience that we have very nearly the same amount of women bus drivers as men. No problem.

Quote:
but all on its own it surely gives the lie to the assertion that women are better drivers; if I produced a survey showing that far fewer men injured themselves with needles during sewing-bees, I couldn't surely then go around telling people this showed that men are more skilful at sewing than women.
That's true. On the other hand, as I said, I live in a place with a lot of drivers, and I've never seen anything like you describe.

Quote:
Sure, my remark about agendas was dismissive, and the comment about 'lies' was of course a gentle adaptation of Mark Twain's famous dismissive quote, so I would have thought I was in good company there (with an American, at least).
Yes, I recognized that. You may have thought it was "gentle", but given the rage and anger I've seen in this thread I thought it was anything but.

Quote:
So as to whether I saw what I've said that I saw (and if I'm not to consign your remarks to the statistical pile marked "Simply Unfriendly")...
Not trying to be unfriendly, just responding to what looks to me like open hostility.

Quote:
I'm a person who does not drink and drive, will not drive unless I've had a good night's sleep, and would never drive if I thought medications or pain were affecting me. Sure, you only have my word for all this but, given what I just said, I've given my descriptions as explicitly and unambiguously as I can.
I don't drink at all. When I drove professionally I had a couple of times when I ended up driving for thirty-six hours straight. I've had four accidents in my life. Two of them I blame on no one but myself.

I'm not saying anything about your own driving (probably better than mine) or your observations, as odd as they may seem to me. You started this thread with language that some in your own land would describe as swearing (we Yanks don't see that as a bad word, so I don't really care). It just seems to me like there's an extraordinary amount of anger there.
Old 07-07-18, 10:19 AM   #118
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well I guess we have to accept that because we live in different societies, our observations about what is or isn't usual will differ. But I reserve the right to be angry about what nearly happened to me and Moira yesterday.

I woudn't characterise myself as angry about this issue (I don't think I've used that word until now)... just annoyed. Annoyed in the same way as when I hear that we are all apparently in love over here with football (I would normally insert that 'b' word here; it isn't regarded as a particularly offensive word in the UK, just an expressive one you would normally keep for informal company, like friends). But even as I am writing this there is a "vital" match for England in play and I couldn't care less about the outcome.

Statistics can be used to push an agenda, but I don't level any such accusation at the police or insurers. However, I do stand by what I said about the way they are now being carelessly used to lecture us (at least over here) about women drivers (I believe I shared a link). It's always been a much discussed subject here, with plenty of finger-wagging and lately much assertion that women are the better drivers. This thread was only started as a bit of a mischievous thing, as many of mine are, and I don't recognise it as you describe it. "Rage" certainly not... that's a very powerful word and I don't belive anyone's ever seen me in a rage. I see myself as pretty laid-back, and If you'd only inserted the words "with respect" before questioning my "say-so" then I wouldn't have felt the need to use the word "unfriendly" at all. But you will choose your own words...
Old 07-07-18, 11:22 AM   #119
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

On the other hand maybe God is a woman and She just doesn't like you.
Old 07-07-18, 11:42 AM   #120
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

If I believed in The Almighty then I'd have no problem with Her being a woman... so long as She wasn't coming towards me driving a car