SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-15, 12:23 AM   #91
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Are you making it earthquake proof or adding on an inlaw unit for when (not if) the big one hits Napa...again? We just had a 2.8 in Yountville two days ago-just a jolt...just I was being depth charged in Aces of the Deep though!
Earthquake proof? Not really, but we're removing a wall which requires a beam to be installed between and well above where the underpinnings are being created. That is one of the areas that is not bolted to the foundation so it's also getting bolted which will help with the earthquake stability. All that leads to a new kitchen, new plumbing, new electrics, and poverty.

The house is ninety years old and this job is fixing the worst area of the foundation, removing pretty much all of the knob and tube electrics as well as replacing the old fuse box service with a modern 200 amp service, replacing the gas lines, and installing a tankless water heater.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 07:33 AM   #92
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Earthquake proof? Not really, but we're removing a wall which requires a beam to be installed between and well above where the underpinnings are being created. That is one of the areas that is not bolted to the foundation so it's also getting bolted which will help with the earthquake stability. All that leads to a new kitchen, new plumbing, new electrics, and poverty.

The house is ninety years old and this job is fixing the worst area of the foundation, removing pretty much all of the knob and tube electrics as well as replacing the old fuse box service with a modern 200 amp service, replacing the gas lines, and installing a tankless water heater.
Crikey

I think I'd be moving into something already built with the above specifications because like you, I'm not young anymore

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 10:21 PM   #93
Buddahaid

Past time for an update. I've finished all six of the Future tricorders and have moved on. I can't remember if I described having the same paint curing problems with these that I had with the TWOK tricorders, but I did and had to excise material on several of the resin castings.

I also had the graphics printed onto 4 mil vinyl sticker sheets because the ones I made off my printer were not flexible enough to adhere well.

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/sir...tml?sort=3&o=9

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/sir...tml?sort=3&o=8

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/sir...tml?sort=3&o=7

David Bowie
Old 05-10-15, 10:53 PM   #94
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Cool! how goes the house remodel?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 01:01 AM   #95
Buddahaid

House remodel is going well but not done yet. All the structural work is done, Nearly all the electrical and plumbing is done. The kitchen is mostly all together and only one final building inspection left to pass. The french drain is no closer to being done though.

What's left to do with the electrical is one ceiling lighting circuit to replace and the kitchen island to wire. The island will have the dishwasher, disposal, and two outlets. The ceiling light circuit already has a new cable ran but it's not connected to anything yet. That will remove the last knob and tube wiring in the house. Oh, and PG&E still needs to do their part in moving the meter to the new service and transferring the overhead wiring to the new weather head. When done there will only be three circuits in the house using older romex wiring. Everything else will be new.

On the plumbing front, all that's left is connecting the island and only the main bath will be using the old galvanized pipe. That will be a future project which will be a lot easier to get done since I've installed ball valves that isolate it from the new plumbing. We can't do it now because of all the stuff we moved to make room to do all the rest.

In the kitchen, the new floor is done, the ceiling is finished which incorporates twelve LED light cans and a new venting skylight, the custom built cabinets are installed, and the fridge, range, and hood are installed. We still need to paint the walls but before that the old wainscoting needs some restoration. The counters and back splash still need to be done, as well as the under cabinet LED light strips. Most of the outlets also need to have the final 20 amp tamper proof and GFI receptacles put in. Right now they are using temporary old ones that the dry wall mudders could mess up all they wanted. Aso the crown molding isn't yet finished. Only the parts where the cabinets are is installed is up. The cabinets also need the glass put in the doors that will have glass fronts, and we need to put earthquake latches on them.

Damn, I'm tired just typing this up.

David Bowie
Old 12-06-15, 04:27 AM   #96
gemix
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Star Trek Enterprise phase pistol

excellent job with Star Trek Enterprise phase pistol could you show how to disassemble mine, in steps please!!!
gemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 01:33 PM   #97
Buddahaid

I would need to know what one you have. The DST toys have screws under the plugs.

David Bowie
Old 12-08-15, 01:57 PM   #98
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

gemix!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid
All that leads to a new kitchen, new plumbing, new electrics, and poverty.
@ Buddahaid: any new remodel pics; I'm just starting a kitchen job myself: floors to ceiling: all-new plumbing, Fuse panel, cabinets & appliances(after twenty years the head-chef wants a whole new deal$$$) I'll have to get a motel for part of it according to the designer. Rule 1 of domestic bliss-shutup and pay! We'll go with wood floors and butcher-block counters as the floor/counter tiles I lovingly installed some decades ago cracked badly in the last two quakes. Wrapping my old appraiser head around it : the kitchen is the be$t return for the investment on any house so without over-improving for the 'hood, it should reflect well if I sell. Hey u got something laying around so I can just beam myself 'up there'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-08-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 03:51 PM   #99
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim gemix

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 04:01 PM   #100
Buddahaid

Sure do but it'll have to wait until I get home.

David Bowie
Old 12-08-15, 10:24 PM   #101
Buddahaid

Well I just deleted all I'd typed happily so I'll start over.

We basically went from an area divided into three small rooms to one large(at least for this house) room with new gas, plumbing, electrical, flooring, windows, a venting skylight, cabinets, and appliances. The house is ninety years old and happily I'd saved up so there is no debt involved.

The LED strip lighting.

And the backsplash which is where I am now. It took awhile for us to find what we wanted for a fair price and it's all glass tile. The area over the range was just finished last Sunday.

The rest of the back splash will be in 3" x 6" teal colored glass tile with a double wide strip of the silvery 1" tiles in a horizontal row about 2/3's of the way up.

The floor is 6" x 24" porcelain tile in a herringbone pattern.

Almost done and then we need a final on the permits.

David Bowie
Old 12-09-15, 12:38 AM   #102
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Great looking-don't forget the earthquake latches on all the upper crockery cabinets-always the worst disaster area (X 2). Yours actually looks like my present décor cabinet- wise. We had chopped out the original stained plywood doors and put in glass and painted everything white. I love that stove and the center-isle wet-sink under the skylight! Good living-space layout for the 'center of the home'. We're also plumbing in the gas line under the crawlspace from the water-heater cabinet outside off the porch to put in a gas range. The fridge will have the condenser up top to fit flush to the wall...or so my wallet is informed on a need-to-know basis...and apparently I've staggered through life without a 'farm sink' <PSSST just leave that bottle
and a pot-filler spigot above the stove long enough!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-09-15 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 01:05 AM   #103
Buddahaid

Oh wow I love your stove! We considered the pot filler but decided against it in the end. Yeah the earthquake latches, sigh......every cabinet and drawer use soft close hardware which is really cool but.....

Here's what we're doing with the back splash. The photo was to show the mold I just made not the tile.

David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 12-09-15 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 01:44 AM   #104
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Oh wow I love your stove! We considered the pot filler but decided against it in the end. Yeah the earthquake latches, sigh......every cabinet and drawer use soft close hardware which is really cool but.....
Not 'if'...'when' in CA: Just all the uppers with the indispensable daily stuff; the heavy lower storage rides it out-about three hours work with a 49r's game in the background. That's not the stove (sigh! I love retro) I was just showing a pot spigot. A Dacor Dual Fuel is what SWMBO has in mind; at least we don't need a hood/vent and will put in perimeter lights all around to replace the two 4' hanging lamps less than a year old from Marin lamps. The designer did a whole computer illustration/layout and is a tad high on appliance costs IMHO; so we're second-glancing more rea$onable stuff. Four of the neighbors on my block, one a professional chef, have done this also and we all have the same 50 yr. tract houses. and compare notes. That looks like my Burmese cat on your counter Does he like a slurp from the faucet too?

Old 12-09-15, 02:33 AM   #105
Buddahaid

The appliances are steep but we bought them last December on a sale. The dishwasher was free with the range and the range we had picked out got further reduced due to one having been delivered by mistake and returned a day or two earlier still on the palette but the box partly removed. The fridge is a different brand, Bosch, with the handles replaced with Thermador handles so it ties in. Fridges are funny animals. They're often made by the same factory and identical but can be priced hundreds of dollars different because of the brand badge.

That cat is Chocolate and I stole him as a kitten from a neighbor. Found him hanging out in the yard way too young to be outside alone and really affectionate. I put a sign out and the neighbor claimed him. Two weeks later he's in the yard again so I took him in and never heard a word from the neighbor. He's a great guy and really gentle and sociable.

We had two other brothers then as well. Both have since died from kidney failure and we have two more kittens now. Chocolate loves them. Our vet fast tracked us with the humane society for them and they were born there. They're brother and sister but they look very different and we named them Gelato and Tiramisu.

Gelato the white guy and they are all indoor cats.

The gang now.

David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 12-09-15 at 02:47 AM.