SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-10, 10:40 AM   #241
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Ok here's something I noticed last night and I have read of others experiencing. It's the stuttering, or what I saw was more like surging.

It's been happening the last two times in the game and I thought it was just me, but on the way in to port last night I confirmed that the graphics were surging and stuttering. And what it tok to really see this was the seagulls and how they were flying.
So I saved and quit game, did system restart then went back in and all is smooth and sliky again. It's just something that I forget about sometimes, that any computer that stays on full time runs into, and it just needs a good ole restart to clear out things that are clogging up RAM and causing other programs to experience this.
Old 03-25-10, 10:54 AM   #242
moty
Bilge Rat

How to determite draft of the ship if TDC is off?

Is it normal that heavy flaming/half underwater ship don't sink?

Last edited by moty; 03-25-10 at 11:44 AM.
moty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:19 PM   #243
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by loerelau View Post
I have a question. How many torpedo's do you need (on average) to sink a queen Elisabeth battleship? I hit one yesterday with 3 torpedo's but it was still not sinking... (is this realistic??)
I shot four with two hitting sinking her in under five minutes.

Rip
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 12:19 AM   #244
loreed
Torpedoman

Downloads: 83
Default Blockade mission

I have completed the east coast missions and the South West approaches missions twice but I am having trouble with the blockade mission. I can't find an aircraft carrier at sea. I sank the Ark Royal at acnhor at Plymouth and 6- 10 ships between Iceland and northern Ireland but the mission never shows as complete.

My question is do you have to sink a special type of merchant only? Where is everyone else finding aircraft carriers?

THanks for any suggestions you have
loreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 12:45 AM   #245
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreed View Post
I have completed the east coast missions and the South West approaches missions twice but I am having trouble with the blockade mission. I can't find an aircraft carrier at sea. I sank the Ark Royal at acnhor at Plymouth and 6- 10 ships between Iceland and northern Ireland but the mission never shows as complete.

My question is do you have to sink a special type of merchant only? Where is everyone else finding aircraft carriers?

THanks for any suggestions you have
Check this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165848 I have a picture there where you'll find the 5 ships you need to sink for that mission.

For the aircraft carrier, I sunk three of them. One up north of Scotland, one south of Scotland and one in the channel. Only the channel one qualified. It was a Furious type, or something.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 09:58 PM   #246
loreed
Torpedoman

Downloads: 83
Default How do you do that?

Kylania,

You have found out a lot about this game, I would have never guessed from the mission brief that I had to sink a carrier in the English channel. I would be totally lost in this game without this forum to help me out.

I missed the Carrier hint because I was zoomed to the northern 5 ship hunting ground, pays to expand the map occasionally!

Thanks for your effort and assistance.

Last edited by loreed; 03-27-10 at 11:13 AM.
loreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:57 PM   #247
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Good tips and tricks here,Thanks!
Old 03-27-10, 10:09 PM   #248
kylania
Silent Hunter

Trying out no Map Updates? Here's some older threads from total geniuses that will help you find ships, including the wonderful "hydrophone only hunt and kill" video.

New Hydrophone Interception Tutorial - how to track and intercept a ship using just your map tools and hydrophone.

[REL] Tutorial for tracking with sonar - handy PDF explaining the methods used in the first video

Wazoo's Manual Charting & Targeting Tutorial [v 2.3] -
if you don't want to sink them unseen, or happen across a visual target first, here's how to chart and target them.

All of those examples are using Silent Hunter III or IV but work just as well in Silent Hunter 5.

Old 03-28-10, 12:19 PM   #249
TheBlobThing
Soundman

Downloads: 39

I see lots of radio station mods out there. No one has yet answered how to enable the radio. Anyone?
Old 03-28-10, 02:36 PM   #250
SabreHawk
Captain

Well I've been looking through the commands cfg file and there are many many commands in it that were never enabled and a key designated for it.

And on the user radio there is a command for that, as well as a great deal of others, but as im learning thanks to the fine modders here and their work it isnt that hard to get in there and get things working, and binded to the key of your choice. Just have to have the needed ASCII codes and a little knowlege of whats what with the other things in the entries in this file.
For which there is actually a short explanation of this at the beginning of the file. Such as contexts ect. But for deeper things I need to study up, cause things like "Strings" I dont know about. But im looking into such things and heck who knows I may do some mods of my own eventually.
Old 03-29-10, 03:40 PM   #251
StorageSteve
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Default messages

Got a message from BDU. Where do go to retrieve them. went to the radio romm and no joy.
StorageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 04:00 PM   #252
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorageSteve View Post
Got a message from BDU. Where do go to retrieve them. went to the radio romm and no joy.
They will be in your captain's log, the captain's hat icon in the upper right.

Old 03-29-10, 06:54 PM   #253
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorageSteve View Post
That's the kind of thing that kills me. You could have a very "there" and intuitive experience if, for example, you had to go down to the radio room to get radio messages. Instead you click an icon hovering around the perimeter of the screen.

Game is full of crap like that.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:37 PM   #254
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Instead you click an icon hovering around the perimeter of the screen.

Game is full of crap like that.
I dare say you'd have more people complaining that you needed to walk, slowly and clumsily, from one end of the sub to the other to do something that in reality would have been brought to you.

If you really wanted to, just don't click the button till you've walked to the radio room. You get your painful realism and everyone else gets their button.

Or for even more added "realism" remove the icon from your UI and code in a dialog response to your Radioman. That way you can't access information till you've done the walk. There's lots of solutions to play this game any way you want to.

Old 04-03-10, 03:54 AM   #255
CRUZER 8
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default Time compression in SH5

Just got my SH5 and love it, I'm retired now and want to get back into my games. Time compression can only get it to 32, how can I gain more compression. 1st mission is that the prob??
CRUZER 8 is offline   Reply With Quote