SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-08, 06:13 PM   #1
barndog
A-ganger

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Corrupted saves in 1.5 U.S. and German Side

WTF! I'm going back to 1.4 at least it worked!
barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 06:59 PM   #2
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36

The only corrupted save I have had with 1.5 caused me to not get credit for a sinking, and also to lose any hydrophone noise for a contact. This was a save I made while underwater, which as you know caused issues in SHIII also.

When saving surfaced at 1x TC I have had no issues. The only mod I have is the German sound pack.

Not sure what mods you are running, but for me the stock game has been very stable when I honor the usual restriction on not saving underwater.
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 07:29 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Mods? What do you have on there? When did you install it?

It's not unlikely that you may have patched or modded the game while on patrol. I'd generally suggest a new campaign whenever you make significant changes to your game setup.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 11:43 PM   #4
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Default Actually

I feel his pain. I had a corruped save under ver 1.4 (pre-Uboat) on the Fleet Boat side around 3/1945 of a full campaign and then another one 7/1945 of a full campaign on the Uboat side.

In either case, mo mods of any type were on the game.
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 07:39 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default this is weird--which isn't good

I personally have had no corrupted saves in 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5. I've saved submerged, submerged under attack, surfaced on approach to targets, in short completely without regard to my circumstances, with all kinds of mod configurations and never had a corrupted save. And corrupted saves have not been mentioned frequently in the SH4 forums, as they are in the SH3 forums. So I think my experience is the rule with SH4 & SH4UBM.

That means something rather strange is happening in a few people's machines. Whether it's game corruption, computer configuration, conspiracy or crashed UFO's I couldn't begin to speculate. But it happens often enough that it is a real problem for a privileged, select group of people who wish they could just be commoners who don't have to worry about their savegames.

The ideal solution would be to stream a hard drive image to someone else, who could replicate your entire machine and test on different equipment. Although helpful, the Internet is too slow and we have laws that presume this would only be done for criminal purposes. You'd violate every software license you have!

When I have an inexplicable weirdness going on with SH4, I do a complete uninstallation. First, move your Mods directory temporarily to your desktop and then uninstall SH4 with Add/remove Programs. When you do that, you can choose to save game settings and save games, which hang out in your My Documents folder.

Then rebuild from the DVD, installing whatever patch you use. You don't need to apply all the patches, each patch contains all of its predacessors. Reinstall JSGME and run it once to make a Mods folder. Then move the Mods folder back into .../Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. It won't make a duplicate mods folder, just move all the files into the one that is already there. You'll probably see the dialog box that says there's already a Mods folder and you might overwrite files that are already there. Just say accept, it's empty!

Run JSGME and reinstall your mods. Start the game and you're right where you ended, only hopefully without the problem.

DISCLAIMER: this only works if your problem is in your SH4 setup. If the problem is because of other processes running concurrently with SH4, registry conflicts, driver conflicts, crashed unidentified flying objects or Mars is in retrograde motion you will have to look much deeper for a solution.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-13-08 at 12:24 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 10:17 AM   #6
barndog
A-ganger

Downloads: 12
Default RR:Thanks but no thanks

I'll just go back to 1.4. I was hoping for real german missions but they are not in there anyway. Somebody someday will make some and maybe I'll come back. I'm happy with my modded 1.4 anyway.
barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 11:30 AM   #7
Toltol
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

This might be a memory issue since the game is an extreme memory hog or it might be machine specific. I've played two complete campaigns while saving before every ship I torpedoed without ever encountering this error.
Old 03-13-08, 01:03 PM   #8
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Did you install a mod during a mission and not while in port? That would certainly be a recipe for corrupt saves. Like many, I have yet to have any corrupt saves in SH4.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote