Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-15, 10:16 PM   #241
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, they do. It's definitely a luxury purchase. There are versions that cost hundreds less, like the S&W and Bushmaster. The DPMS looks pretty good too, and it's not that much at all. about the same as my Ruger SR9. The key is to put $20 a week into a jar... you won't miss it and by Christmas you will have you rifle.
I wouldn't mind a DPMS....but as far as AR's go....if im gonna pay that much for a gun I'm going to go big or go home.

Until then, I have all I need. Mosin-Nagant M91/30, Benelli Nova, and Savage Axis (.223).
Old 12-27-15, 10:37 PM   #242
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Half price deal on lifetime NRA membership right now. Price is going up Jan 1st. Seems almost worth it just for the insurance alone. http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UP...embership.html

Wish I'd known it was discounted to $300 for awhile two years ago.
Old 07-31-16, 11:22 AM   #243
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I collected the last two firearms from Dad which are two hunting rifles.

The first is a sporterized Krag 1898, or 1899, carbine. I can't find the markings and am guessing they are under the scope mounting. I also can't remove the bolt and I suspect the sporterized stock is preventing the lever from moving far enough to do so.

The second is a 1970 Winchester Model 70 chambered for 30-06 Springfield, and was Grampa's hunting rifle. The hunting terrain is pretty much tight canyons where he lived so most shots were short range.

The sight has a couple of dings but the rest is in great shape.

I don't expect I'll be acquiring any more firearms.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 12:09 PM   #244
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nice! don't fergit to switch on the magazine! Bring it to the Napa Rod &Gun range and we'll have a contest with the one I still shoot (on the right) 1873 trapdoor infantry 45-70 I suspect yours is a sporterized import not made at the Springfield armory...hence no marking on the left of the barrel or top front receiver end (directly under your scope's adj screw.) We'll keep it at 100 yards since yours is a carbine and I'm too old to compute a 'rainbowing 45-70's arc over the 100-yard mark...yours will have the flatter trajectory.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 12:28 PM   #245
Buddahaid

Nope, it was under the sight and I'm certain you would beat me.

David Bowie
Old 07-31-16, 01:23 PM   #246
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Wow! I wouldn't have the nerve to remove the screws; I didn't think left side of the carbine receiver: I'm only on my second cup of Sunday java. Don't mix up those screws on reassembly. I suspect that scope is a collector item as well ...what is the actual serial #? in case the weapon was in combat (not likely)which would add to its provenance prior to sporterizing
Quote:
The Krag–Jørgensen rifle in .30 Army found use in the Boxer Rebellion, the Spanish–American War and the Philippine–American War. (the Rough Riders?) A few carbines were used by United States cavalry units fighting Apaches in New Mexico Territory and preventing poaching in Yellowstone National Park. Two-thousand rifles were taken to France by the United States Army 10th–19th Engineers (Railway) during World War I; but there is no evidence of use by front-line combat units during that conflict.
'Cau$e U You never know!
Quote:
Nope, it was under the sight and I'm certain you would beat me.
Nonsense! I'll sight-1 ft. low at 100 yards for rainbow comp.!!- then pillow/rest the Trapdoor and use dental floss and my teeth to pull the trigger which will save my old shoulder; the recoil of a 45-70, 405 grain, is horrendous and the namby-pamby's on either side often discover their hearing protection isn't what they thought. I reload my own in both black and nitrate powder. Loser pays for clam chowder at Osprey!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 07-31-16, 02:15 PM   #247
Buddahaid

s/n is 176,xxx which makes it a cut down rifle and of little value. Interesting that the removed front sight must have been brazed on after cutting down. Of course I can still be wrong about any of this.

Chowder eh? You may talk me into it yet.

David Bowie
Old 01-25-17, 07:14 PM   #248
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Gun news

http://kitup.military.com/2017/01/new-army-handgun.html

Quote:
Sig Sauer has won a $580 million contract to make the Army’s next service pistol, beating out three other competitors, the company has released the first images of the winning gun.

The weapon replacing the M9 9mm handgun is Sig Sauer’s popular P320 model, a polymer striker-fired pistol first released in 2014. According to an announcement released this morning, the Army’s Modular Handgun System program provides for delivery of full-sized and compact P320s. Regardless of size, all the handguns will be equipped with threaded barrels to receive silencers and will include standard and extended-capacity magazines, according to the announcement.

While the P320 has a modular design that can be adjusted for frame size and caliber between 9mm, .357SIG and .40SGW, a source with knowledge of the competition process told Military.com the Army selected the 9mm version of the gun. That has yet to be officially confirmed by Sig Sauer or the Army.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 08:07 PM   #249
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

At least they didn't choose something with Glock's grip angle.
Old 01-26-17, 04:13 PM   #250
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Sig Sauer is a good manufacturer. I still have my 226 and it is as solid as ever.
Old 01-26-17, 05:06 PM   #251
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Sig Sauer is a good manufacturer. I still have my 226 and it is as solid as ever.
Is it better than a Glock 19 ... I remember that you like Glock's, but I don't like that double trigger thing, especially thinking that it is a safety.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:32 PM   #252
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Is it better than a Glock 19 ... I remember that you like Glock's, but I don't like that double trigger thing, especially thinking that it is a safety.
Safety? We dont need no stinking safety. . Here's a 1939 Soviet TT33 from my collection. Other than not chambering a round there was no safety feature built into the weapon.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:52 AM   #253
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Safety? We dont need no stinking safety. .
^Precisely I still carry the 92D (double-action only)Baretta 24/7 on and off duty...since 1992! No hammer; no safety; and no decocker to forget before reholstering which has caused quite a few mishaps even for professionals.. Mine is additionally equipped with the Crimson Trace Laser grips : the weapon is sighted at factory for 25 yards; but with the grips and accounting for some windage or trajectory drop, the ball opens reasonably at 75 yards especially at night or in low light -my normal work conditions. A distinct improvement in shooting ergonomics (as long as your batteries hold up)! Moreover the intimidation factor is unmistakable to the 'bad guys' which saves messy paperwork-the little thumbnail warning sticker on the barrel slide reminds u "Danger: Avoid eye exposure" ie not to aim the laser at someone's eyes.....Yeah right! My ex-Marine permit-trainer on trying the equipped weapon, glumly allowed: "if everyone has these (sights) I'll have nothing to teach!"

Old 01-27-17, 07:36 PM   #254
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Safety? We dont need no stinking safety. . Here's a 1939 Soviet TT33 from my collection. Other than not chambering a round there was no safety feature built into the weapon.
You'll blow your winky off,, pound for pound a 1911 45acp is the way to go,and plenty of safeties, you can't build a better mouse trap ,, I got 2, a 100 year old 1, one the first 500,000 and my norinco with a 2 and half pound trigger pull I can put a door knob into a 4in bull at 65yards, braced against the house of course.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 07:48 PM   #255
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
you might have me confused with another Platapus.

I have a glock and I think it is a good design, but I would not consider myself a glock fan.

On the topic of double action...

I think that a properly designed double action can be a good thing. I have found that several semi automatics that I own/fired where the second shot is single action that the first double action trigger pull is less than stellar. And I put my 226 in that category. If I ever needed to fire that I would hope to have the time to pull the hammer back. The double action pull on the 226 can be a beast!

When I was shooting my 226 in USPSA competitions, you could not carry it cocked. Double action first shot pistols had to be carried with the hammer down. One of the many reasons why USPSA shooters preferred single action semi autos. Single action pistols could be carried cocked.

The advantage of a double action only pistol is that *usually* the double action pull is properly designed and with double action only every shot has the same trigger pull.

With double action first single action second pistols it is common for new shooters to shoot high on the first (double action) shot and shoot low on the second (single action) shot because of the drastically different trigger pulls. I know it took me a long time to get my first and second shot groups tight.

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles