SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-10, 06:52 AM   #1
Jankowski
Frogman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default is there a way to add COMPLETELY new weapons to the u-boat?

for example, i want the 20mm flak guns to be able to fire HE/FLAK rounds, but i dont think there are any explosion sizes that are small enough for that. the aircraft in gwx are tough and can be shot at by the bismarks guns without blowing up for some reason.

so i ask: is there a way to have a powerful flak gun (20mm) that is about twice the power of original, and the bullet hit is like a small version of the deck gun hit?
Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 06:57 AM   #2
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

You can add new weapons
Easier to up the power of the 20mm shell though
Someone in the know will be along to tell you what to adjust

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 08:08 AM   #3
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Can't remember the specific files ATM but it's easier to alter the damage potential of ammo rounds than it is to add completely new weapons to player subs.

If you can find the correct dat file for the rounds you want to alter, open it in S3D and change the damage radius modifier. Might even be something obvious like guns.dat.

Remember doing something similar to the torpedoes a long time ago.
Old 05-05-10, 09:54 PM   #4
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

IIRC someone worked out how to place a Bismarck Turret on a Catalina PBY once before as a messabout so it can be done. If you are just after more powerful ammo then Dan and BBW's suggestions are probably easier.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 10:26 PM   #5
jollyroger131
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Just opened up S3D and checked; I think the file you want is data\Library\Shells.zon. You can change the AP value, min and max damage, and min and max radius for any item in that file. The real trick is - and I can't help you here - figuring out which item in there is the 20mm shell. If you figure that out let me know.
jollyroger131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 01:26 AM   #6
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
IIRC someone worked out how to place a Bismarck Turret on a Catalina PBY once before as a messabout so it can be done. If you are just after more powerful ammo then Dan and BBW's suggestions are probably easier.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=catafark

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 02:38 AM   #7
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger131 View Post
Just opened up S3D and checked; I think the file you want is data\Library\Shells.zon. You can change the AP value, min and max damage, and min and max radius for any item in that file. The real trick is - and I can't help you here - figuring out which item in there is the 20mm shell. If you figure that out let me know.
Open shells.dat, take note of the hex ID for the 20mm shell, and then run a search for that hex ID in shells.zon. It's a little annoying that they did not include the ammuniton names in shells.zon but it's still easy to find.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 05:37 AM   #8
Jankowski
Frogman

once i wrongly installed a mod and ended up with a huge bismark gun instead of my deck gun. was pretty cool. it fired 2 shells that had a huge impact on targets. sub could do everyting normally but the flak guns didnt work.
Old 05-06-10, 05:02 PM   #9
jollyroger131
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Oh... thanks iambecomelife! That's easier than I thought it would be. Looks like it's time to have some fun with the old deckgeschutz!
jollyroger131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 04:48 AM   #10
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
Ahoy Jankowski! With S3D You can create new shell only for Your guns.
You need to check correct shells ID's from Shells DAT file [Shells files are stored in the Library folder]. For example, like iambecomelife said before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Open shells.dat, take note of the hex ID for the 20mm shell, and then run a search for that hex ID in shells.zon. It's a little annoying that they did not include the ammuniton names in shells.zon but it's still easy to find.
So choose the shell which interesting You. Id from DAT file of this shell should direct You. You must check also ZON and Shells SIM files and try find in these files parent ID which is the same as the ID of this shell in the DAT file. Now copy these free files somewhere; Shells Dat, sim and zon file, and open these files in S3d. Now delete all not need nodes and left in each file only node for choosen bullet [look at ID]. Resave all 3 files as new files.
Now open these new files again in S3D and change Id's. First give new ID for the node in DAT file. Copy this ID and write it in the zon and sim file as parent ID. You must change also main ID in your new sim and zon file, but these ID's must be unique.

Save all 3 new shells files now. You have separate file for Your shell. Place this files in the Library folder. Now You can change the power of your new shell. Only one thing left. You must open also the GUNS SUB sim file from the Library folder and write Id off your new shell under the specific wpn_Cannon node. Open this node, open the ammo_storage sub node and write Id of your new shell under AP. HE, AA, or SS node. This is all.
But buckup Your files first!

You can download my XXI autocannon mod for better understand because also separate dsd file [sound file] and information about the shell sound must be written in files:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161841

Last edited by evan82; 05-07-10 at 05:00 AM.
evan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 04:55 AM   #11
Jankowski
Frogman

wow thanks evan! is there a way to add a new shell type? maybe if you could add rockets to your deck gun it could be like thoses rocket launchers they put on some uboats in the black sea.
Old 05-07-10, 05:09 AM   #12
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
Well. With this described method even large battleships shell can be fired from 88mm U-boat gun, or 37mm ap ammo from the 20mm gun. This method is Better than only the power upgrade in main shells files. You can upgrade power of shell but sometimes the same stronger shell is used by other units. That's why is better for You to create new shell.
Old 05-07-10, 06:39 AM   #13
Jankowski
Frogman

good idea! i wonder if there are any 50. guns in the game, then i could make the flak guns fire it for extra damage maybe lol
Old 05-07-10, 09:34 PM   #14
Jankowski
Frogman

hows this, i change the 2 cm flaks to have the damage of the 3.7, and the 3.7 has a higher damage then normal.