Closed Thread

Old 02-22-19, 07:40 AM   #3901
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Magic Muscle - Free as a Bird

TERRY STAMP - Motor Head

Last edited by fumo30; 02-22-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 11:04 AM   #3902
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-22-19, 03:57 PM   #3903
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
@vienna

Thank you for your fine post vienna. Seems like I never figured out how big name Sheila E (and her family) really is. Of course her unquestionable talents can be witnessed by anybody.

The Escovedos are part of a long tradition of Latin musical families that go back several generations. Particularly in Mexican and Cuban musical cultures, entire families, both close and extended family members, pass down musical knowledge to each succeeding generation. In Los Angeles, there is a thriving Mariachi community and it is almost always family groupings. Another well-known star who had his roots in Mariachi is Carlos Santana...

Quote:

I'm surprised the way LAPD harassed punk bands in LA. What motivated them for such mean actions. Was drugs their excuse or what? Sure our own police force too was ready for interfering local rock artists life in 70's, but not quite that extent.

It may surprise people not familiar with California, but for a very, very long time, Southern California was a hot bed of Right-Wing Conservatism. While people outside of CA may have imagined the entire state was a hippie, Left-Wing paradise, down South it was literally more like the Down South you'd see in movies about rednecks. Where San Francisco had been settled very early in CA's history and had spawned a burgeoning population that welcomed culture and diverse populations, up until around 1920, San Francisco actually had a larger population than LA. What happened to more than double LA's population by 1930 was the Great Depression combined with the Dust Bowl disasters; hordes of people who had been bankrupted by the Depression and/or dispossessed by the Dust Bowl swarmed into LA seeking to find better pickings; along with their general cultural attitudes, they also brought racial/cultural prejudices from their home states. As time went on, those attitudes became dominant in the city's political structure from the Mayor on down to the Police Chief. When I first came to live in LA in 1970 (I had been in and out of the area since the mid-60s), a lot of the 'hillbilly' attitudes still persisted; in fact, going into the Valley part of the city was akin to taking a trip into the US South; not a good place to be if you were of color or if you were one of "them damn hippies"...

The LAPD, in particular had the 'Southern Sheriff' sort of attitude. The police chiefs were a lot of Far-Right wingnuts and ran their departments like their own little kingdom and fought off any efforts to curb their authority, going so far as to use intimidation and blackmail of other city officials to get their way. It wasn't until the LA Riots of 1992 and its aftermath that the last of the 'Big Boss' police chiefs was ousted and some degree of sanity and accountability was imposed on the police force. Today, the force is much better managed and has seen a dramatic change in the public's perception of the police for the better...

The war on Rock music by the LAPD was a product of the Right-Wing rule of a series of LAPD chiefs who viewed Rock, and those who enjoyed it, as anti-thetical to 'good ol' 'Merican' values. The LAPD went way out of their way to crush down any possibility of sustaining a thriving Rock scene. Starting with the Sunset Strip Riots in 1966 (immortalized in Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth); here is a clip of the 1966 incident that inspired the song...:

...the whole thing finally came to a head when Pink Floyd played some concert dates in LA at the downtown Sports Arena and the LAPD decided to make an extraordinary show of force to get the Police Chief's message of displeasure across; more than 500 people were arrested and the incidents were so shocking, bands and concert promoters refused to book into LA city venues; this resulted in a windfall for surrounding cities who welcomed the revenue to be gained by hosting major rock concerts. The Floyd Sports Arena incidents were depicted in the film The Wall where the scene outside the arena was recreated:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-...fans-arrested/

Eventually, years later, demographics and changing cultural attitudes caught up to the LAPD and their 'ban' on Rock was removed by the City Council who realized the city was losing millions in tax revenue, licensing fees, etc., and by the business community who didn't particularly like seeing sales going to outside businesses that surrounded non-LA venues. Happens all the time: Dollars Defeats Dogma...

Quote:

BTW Sex Pistols' were not allowed to play here at all, think they were considered too vicious.

Gee, I don't know why...

They seem like such nice, stable geniuses...

<O>
Old 02-23-19, 04:01 AM   #3904
fumo30
Grey Wolf

^OK, that clarified a lot of what and why happened out there. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

Gee, I don't know why...

They seem like such nice, stable geniuses...

<O>

Officially it was about their criminal records + they were also seen as culprits for the Finnish youth unemployment.

Last edited by fumo30; 02-23-19 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 04:32 AM   #3905
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Brian Protheroe - Pinball

Last edited by fumo30; 02-23-19 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:23 AM   #3906
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Old 02-23-19, 08:18 AM   #3907
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-23-19, 12:24 PM   #3908
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 02-23-19, 02:37 PM   #3909
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I finally found her ... thanks to eisenwurst ... a girl with soul, plus she has tattoos, needs some sun, but I think I love her

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post

Welcome aboard Tuosiallim
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 02-23-19, 04:44 PM   #3910
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Old 02-23-19, 05:21 PM   #3911
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Lady Gaga from the 80ies

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-23-19, 05:49 PM   #3912
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I finally found her ... thanks to eisenwurst ... a girl with soul, plus she has tattoos, needs some sun, but I think I love her

Welcome aboard Tuosiallim
I quite like her too. She's got spirit and good taste by the truckload, and she's an amazing talented dancer.

She's also got her own website with dozens of clips of herself dancing to really great songs - reggae, ska, rockabilly, etc.

Would you like the link???

Old 02-23-19, 06:11 PM   #3913
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
I quite like her too. She's got spirit and good taste by the truckload, and she's an amazing talented dancer.

She's also got her own website with dozens of clips of herself dancing to really great songs - reggae, ska, rockabilly, etc.

Would you like the link???
okay!
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 02-23-19, 09:40 PM   #3914
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
okay!
You have a PM.

Old 02-24-19, 07:27 AM   #3915
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Closed Thread

Tags
music