SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-15, 06:55 PM   #1
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default I lasted well but it was hopeless

I started a new career 6 patrols ago and I decided it was time for a different type of Commander. This commander was going to be daring and aggressive (or stupid you decide) unlike the last one who chickened out of a convoy attack after 1941.
This story is about patrol 6.

We set sail on April 5th 1940 from wilhelmshaven, in U-65, a shiny new type IXB. We had orders to patrol grid AN36 and mount a surprise attack on the port of Kristiansand in Norway. The attack was due at 0300 on April 9th and even at 1/3 speed we were going to get there early so I tootled up and down Norway's southern coast hoping to pick up a foolhardy polish merchant before moving into the then neutral port. We couldnt creep in at periscope depth so this was going to be some daring surface attack in a large boat completely unsuitable for the task in a tight harbour. The 105mm was the only advantage I had really.
The attack went well however and I left nothing afloat as the Norwegians had not had time to set up any defence. I met a friendly task force on the way out and thought to myself that the job was already done.
I left the baltic and headed Northwest towards Shetland and sank another merchant with gunfire on the way. As I rounded the islands through the narrow passage between Shetland and Orkney an aircraft was spotted. My WO identified it as a delapidated old Swordfish and I chose to stay up and fight it off. The Swordfish went straight into the sea after a short burst of AA fire. This story was to repeat itself 16 times occassionally with upto 3 aircraft in each wave before I got cocky and thought I would have a go. I was unsuccessful and we took a bomb hit plumb on the 37mm Flak Gun, killing the entire gun crew apart from myself. The damage was extensive. There was no propulsion, heavy flooding aft and hull integrity was 53%. I prioritised the flooding which we got under control apart from the stern quarters. I had managed to squeeze 4kn out of the starboard diesel engine but the port engine was destroyed. Both electric motors were knocked out too.
Another wave of 3 Swordfish was sighted so to minimize damage I ordered periscope depth. BIG MISTAKE! The boat went into a stern down attitude due to the water still in the stern quarters, I had no e-motors to push us out and was therefore sinking by the stern. I ordered an emergency surface quite quickly and managed to get the bow up and the aircraft had a crack at that too. It was fairly light damage, down to 49% hull integrity so I managed to surface slightly down by the stern. MAN THE GUNS! The 20mm was working but kept jamming occasionally. The 37mm never fired another shot after the first bomb hit. That wave left us with no losses.
Back to the repairing. I prioritised the flooding first followed by the e-motors so we could hopefully dive again. We were back on an even keel again which was good news. AIRCRAFT SPOTTED! Another wave was coming in. They absolutely plastered us. I still couldnt dive. I lost another 2 sailors bravely manning the damaged guns and hull integrity was 9%. We got one of them though. Forward compartments were red but we were still afloat. How I dont know! Same routine as before, flooding followed by diesels this time though as our only chance was to get out of range of the planes now diving was out of the question. Another wave and hull integrity was 0% but it wasnt game over? The boat was a wreck but the lads were still banging away with the 20mm. The end was near and in RL the order to abandon ship would have been given but in SH3 we dont have that luxury. The final wave came in and that was that.
Old 05-18-15, 07:39 PM   #2
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

I recently got to enjoy what it must have been like for my numerous 'victims'...

One iteration of my recent convoy engagement did not go down very well at all, pardon the sinking pun.

I hit two of the biggest and two of the smallest cargo ships, and then had to spend the next 3 hours trying to escape the HKs. I was doing all right for a bit, using the sounds and ships of the convoy for protection, and we nearly made it, until...
A corvette, outfitted with some better equipment than most -including the dreaded hedgehog launcher- came over from his flank position. If he just kept to his original course, things would have gone o.k.. Tense, but we would have crept out of the area. Once that extra set of ASDIC pings joined with his pals, it was all over for us. Damage, flooding, to hell with being quiet, get that water pumped! Down 200m, 210, 220, 230 meters and still falling, the e-motors barely capable of 2 knots. Oil and air bubbles escaping to the surface, to mark our grave... Blow all ballast!! --no effect, still sinking. We got crushed by water pressure at 250 meters.
Old 05-19-15, 07:52 AM   #3
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

There was a saying-"There are bold U boat commanders and old U boat commanders. There are no bold and old U boat commanders."
Old 05-19-15, 09:01 AM   #4
Aks
Watch

Downloads: 8

I learned one lesson from historical memorials and SH3 experience - fight with aircraft is a fatal mistake.
Aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 09:58 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rconch View Post
There was a saying-"There are bold U boat commanders and old U boat commanders. There are no bold and old U boat commanders."
Hardigan would be the exception to the rule at age 101

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 03:28 PM   #6
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

So true-amazing.
Old 05-19-15, 04:01 PM   #7
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Topp.
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 09:00 AM   #8
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

I played my last career cautiously. So cautious that in RL I would have had a hard time not being put up against a wall and shot for cowardice if the germans did that. More likely I would have been demoted or put in charge of some asw trawler or a minesweeper in disgrace. I had therefore decided to "be more aggressive" but I acknowledge that this was step too far.
Old 05-20-15, 11:31 AM   #9
U478
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 224
Icon14 HI ALL

HI ALL I PLAY SH5
U478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 03:27 PM   #10
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by U478 View Post
HI ALL I PLAY SH5
hi U478...

there is a SH5 page too...
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 03:29 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

U478!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 06:07 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim U478

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote