Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-18, 11:06 AM   #8851
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Corbyn eh?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 01-01-19, 07:28 AM   #8852
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The UK can "turn a corner" and start to "put its differences aside" if Parliament backs the proposed Brexit deal, Theresa May has said.

In her new year message, the prime minister said 2019 would mark a new chapter for the country outside the EU.

Should MPs approve the exit terms later this month, she said the UK could "move forward together" and concentrate on other issues like housing and health.

Labour has said the Brexit process is a "complete mess" due to Tory divisions.

The UK is scheduled to leave the union on 29 March, but it is unclear what will happen if MPs reject the withdrawal agreement and the framework for future relations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46721508
I'm still thinking/hoping a last minute compromise deal will be struck because I doubt the current 'deal' on offer is one that can carry a majority vote in Parliament.

Old 01-01-19, 01:09 PM   #8853
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46725343

Two more cutters to be deployed with immediate effect.

I'm wondering if the French are turning a blind eye at their side of the channel despite claims they are preventing about half of those making the attempt.

Old 01-01-19, 01:17 PM   #8854
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm still thinking/hoping a last minute compromise deal will be struck because I doubt the current 'deal' on offer is one that can carry a majority vote in Parliament.
Maybot looked angry and delivered last year's New Year's Day speech again with a few extra's she copied off the back of a cereal box.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 01-01-19, 01:19 PM   #8855
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Wasn't in the least bit impressed with any of the New Year speeches.

Old 01-01-19, 01:22 PM   #8856
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Wasn't in the least bit impressed with any of the New Year speeches.
There all washout's jim we need a new political system and new party's and if that fails give the job to the chimps at London zoo.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 01-01-19, 01:33 PM   #8857
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-01-19, 01:41 PM   #8858
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
we need a new political system and new party's
Try throwing a butt load of tea in a harbor!
Worked great for us!
Umm.... Well it started out good.
Old 01-01-19, 01:57 PM   #8859
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Try throwing a butt load of tea in a harbor!
Worked great for us!
Umm.... Well it started out good.

Old 01-02-19, 06:27 AM   #8860
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has defended the government's choice of a UK company with no ships as one of the providers of extra ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46735303
You just couldn't make this up Mr Grayling

Old 01-02-19, 07:45 AM   #8861
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

Time for a sing a long..

Ding dong Mr Grayling is a nutter la la la la.

The new working year starts and the new year top story hike in train fares again...Look you stupid people stop paying and barge your way on the trains, they can not lock you all up too many of you lot too few prisons...COMMUTER PEOPLE POWER!

Old 01-02-19, 10:33 AM   #8862
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

I'll de-lurk again and qoute these two posts I found in the TotalWar Center Political Mudpit thread on Brexit:

Quote:
Is that not based on a misconception about what democracy is? The point is to elect people who can represent your interests better than you could ever do. Electing politicians is similar to picking the mechanic that fixes your broken car, your dentist to fix your teeth, your GP to recommend treatment for your illness. You wouldn't go to any of them either saying "this is what's wrong and here's what you're going to do to fix it. That's defeating the point.

So if there's a disconnect betwen what people say is wrong and the policies their politicians enact, then consider they may not be betraying you, but simply doing the best they can. So they should because if a hard brexit goes through and it works out badly, the same people who expressed that whish will be ready to crucify the politicians that made it happen.

So there's the problem with modern day democracy and referenda in particular: the lack of accountability on the part of voters who can gratuitously blame their politicians for the consequences of their votes. It could not be clearer in this instance: The people voted leave and at the next GE they voted to have it implemented by remainers How was that ever going to work. And yet everyone's saying "get on with it already!"
Quote:
..... Which is of course as i think we all have discovered part of the issue. The Brexit Referendum was specifically on leaving the EU- the future relationship, shape of the UK et al are all still in the prerogative of Parliament. May's deal can technically indeed be counted as 'leaving' (as is a Norway style deal, a Canada style deal etc). The issue being that brexiteers and remainers have many different groups inside these two overarching camps that all have competiting conceptions of what the future relationship will look like, both among parliament and the general public. Its why A) Brexit is toxic politically- there is no 'winning' particularly as there is no 'dominant' faction inside these groups- for instance my parents are brexiteers who despise the idea of a 'no-deal' and also hate May's deal for varying reasons. B) A lot of people (quite fairly) misunderstand the British parliamentary system and the role of referendums within it (i.e. they're horrid for it ). Once you've given your 'basic' marching orders (Leave) its entirely up to your MP's, the government and parliamentary parties how they do this. Providing the UK essentially is not listed as being 'part of the EU' everything was up for grabs the minute the referendum result was announced. Naturally many will feel betrayed or that this is unfair- they are right, but the UK does not have the mechanisms for the greater influence of direct democracy on policy beyond blunt (and kinda crap as we've seen) simple questions. What's worse is of course as the result is essentially stunted for purposes beyond the 'yes/no' for membership- and it was so close, anyone and everyone in parliament can use it- soft brexiteers, and even reamainers can and have been using it to legitimize their position, ERG style brexiteers, use it for their purposes, anyone can adopt the result as part of their platform and spin it. The referendum beyond providing a possible overall angle, is essentially useless (and indeed if somehow the Lib-dems got it, their quite clear they would overturn the whole thing- and arguably that's a legitimate position as they can point to the whole 'change mind/too hard' argument- whatever you think of that or not, the UK system allows them to do that, and again given the result with little to no parliamentary consequences of any meaningful scope as any support they'd garner to get into office, would be from remainers- thus in a GE platform they would be justified in doing so as fulfilling a manifesto promise). Again as i ranted before- the next GE can potentially see brexit overturned if a party who wins (or even gets into coalition with someone) promises in their manifesto to scrap brexit/rejoin (if its the GE shortly after).

We could be in the absolutely ridiculous situation given the perfect storm of non-sustainable result, no effort put in to 'win' the war and create a sustainable consensus post-referendum, the UK's parliamentary system and how how GE's spread the focus of issues to a broader level- where literally a year after we've left the EU, we join them again...

So i'd echo this- Anything that 'leaves' the EU as an official member fulfills the referendum. If people expected more, then we needed a reformed parliamentary system with a greater emphasis on direct democracy and not a model that actively tries to limit public opinion. The other constraints being brexit is very much 'party politics' and that again Parliamentary arithmetic favours remainers, and its highly unlikely this will change at the next GE given how constituencies work and also how the focus will probably once again (like 2017) be on the domestic front as Corbyn again shifts to the Conservatives failings here as politically its fertile ground.
Both points sum things up rather well, IMHO.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 01-02-19, 10:51 AM   #8863
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ However or whichever way it eventually pans out will not change one fact....the country will remain hopelessly divided.

Old 01-02-19, 01:12 PM   #8864
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has accused trade unions of driving the 3.1% increase in rail fares.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46731749

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! HAS THIS DING DONG'S CHEESE SLID OFF HIS CRACKER? YES

And now the boot is back, Osborne puts the boot in again..

Quote:
Theresa May risks "destroying" the Conservatives' reputation for spending money wisely with her no-deal Brexit planning, George Osborne has warned.
https://news.sky.com/story/george-os...rexit-11597085

He loves putting the boot in, he clearly has not got over being sacked from the cabinet.

Last edited by STEED; 01-02-19 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 09:27 AM   #8865
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
The government is set to launch a publicity drive to prepare the public for the possibility of a "no-deal" Brexit.
https://news.sky.com/story/publicity...rexit-11597637

Sounds to me its panic time and time to stock up in bake beans and batten the hatches down.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics