SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-11, 05:21 PM   #226
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Actually?
Few modder in the 3D area center the different meshes before importing to SH3 or SH4 on totally custom models.
Most of what is done incases like that is to leave the meshes at 0 coords.
So for them? It may be a God sent feature or have no impact at all.
Old 11-21-11, 05:21 PM   #227
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Did they hire people off the street to program this game?
I seem to remember them doing a posting about hiring in this forum, but you had to live in Romania. You could be right.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:24 PM   #228
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
I seem to remember them doing a posting about hiring in this forum, but you had to live in Romania. You could be right.
I have exchanged E-Mails with a few of the Devs about the Granny System and more in the 3D area.

They are quite talented and knew what they were doing.

It's the programmers that got thrown the Granny System and not enuff time to use it to it's greatest advantage.

Read a Blog from Dave at RAD Game Tools and you'll quickly realize how lucky SH 5 users and Modders may be!
http://radgranny.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html
Old 11-21-11, 05:25 PM   #229
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

i believe in you my friend...you are the one that is going to make the first playble ship for silent hunter 5....even if it takes a year or more right? see ya
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:28 PM   #230
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I have exchanged E-Mails with a few of the Devs about the Granny System and more in the 3D area.

They are quite talented and knew what they were doing.

It's the programmers that got thrown the Granny System and not enuff time to use it to it's greatest advantage.
Yup the game is a testimony to the fact of the rush, carry on.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:32 PM   #231
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I doubt I will ever make a 'playable' Ship for SH5.
(I've never made any for SH3 or SH4)
That is not my thing, so to say.
What I do best is waste time, figure out a few things, pass that information to others that can do a better job of implementing it,
then start over.
Old 11-21-11, 05:33 PM   #232
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
Yup the game is a testimony to the fact of the rush, carry on.
Sure is, more and more evident the more we poke into SH5's inner workings.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:33 PM   #233
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Good grief! what a nightmare, I can understand why the game was released in the state it was!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:38 PM   #234
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!
That answer your questioning nature?
Old 11-21-11, 06:06 PM   #235
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

ok, after some thought on this here's what I'm going to do:

Bones reposition like they should when you change position and rotation which is good. Meshes on the other hand do not.

Even though meshes are supposedly 'bound' to a bone they are, in fact, not in SH5. Thus if we treat each mesh as a new 'bone' then it will help mitigate the pain and frustration. Since they will be classified as a bone then they will inherit position information (from the GR2Coords class). I'll initialize their position information to 0 (no rotations, no position - (0,0,0)) and set their transform to the Identity transform. This will work because they are already pre-positioned to where they need to be.

Now when the user asks to reposition the item or change it's rotation then these variables will obviously not be 0 anymore. I'll check to see if they are 0 or not and if not then I'll update the mesh's verticies to reflect the change the user wanted.

Now to take what I just described and apply it to the code

The fact that this has to be done in the first place is utterly absurd. There was no reason to use the Granny system...the DAT file system would've done everything they needed.
Old 11-21-11, 06:13 PM   #236
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'd tend to agree about the dat format.
The benifits of the Granny system were not implemented in a 'saveing Grace' way.
I'm just sitting here wondering how many of the Upper's are sweating it out wondering when people like you and I can pull thier arses out of the fire!
Old 11-21-11, 06:42 PM   #237
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Just dropping by to express my gratitude for still working on fixing the game and learning more about it.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 06:45 AM   #238
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
ok, after some thought on this here's what I'm going to do:

Bones reposition like they should when you change position and rotation which is good. Meshes on the other hand do not.

Even though meshes are supposedly 'bound' to a bone they are, in fact, not in SH5. Thus if we treat each mesh as a new 'bone' then it will help mitigate the pain and frustration. Since they will be classified as a bone then they will inherit position information (from the GR2Coords class). I'll initialize their position information to 0 (no rotations, no position - (0,0,0)) and set their transform to the Identity transform. This will work because they are already pre-positioned to where they need to be.

Now when the user asks to reposition the item or change it's rotation then these variables will obviously not be 0 anymore. I'll check to see if they are 0 or not and if not then I'll update the mesh's verticies to reflect the change the user wanted.

Now to take what I just described and apply it to the code

The fact that this has to be done in the first place is utterly absurd. There was no reason to use the Granny system...the DAT file system would've done everything they needed.
Let me see: Firstly they acquired a license from RAD for the Granny SDK. Then the SDK wasn't used for anything sensible apart from effectively (though most probably unwittingly) blocking modding efforts. Finally the license's price was included into the game's price (we all know how it works), so not only modders do not have the ability to mod the game to the needed extent, but we even paid for not having this ability!
While this policy is understandable in the case of charging user for the copy-protection and things alike in the hope to prevent loosing $$ that should motivate further development work, in the SH5 case not only the money were unnecessarily spent but $$ loss is further aggravated by preventing modders saving the unfinished game. In my opinion this is squandering at its best!
I am sorry for the offtopic, just couldn't hold myself.

@ TDW,
This is amazing progress with bones, wtg! I actually wanted to ask whether I understand correctly that this non-moving meshes issue doesn't affect animation editing in the sense that when we will be editing animations we won't need to move the meshes? To give an example - if we think of the infamous 'ladder-climbing-lamp-changing' animation, I guess it is much easier to cut it directly in the file to leave only climbing part of it and we will not need 3d editor in this case. Sorry if it is a stupid question.

Last edited by Vanilla; 11-22-11 at 08:15 AM.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 04:05 PM   #239
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Let me see: Firstly they acquired a license from RAD for the Granny SDK. Then the SDK wasn't used for anything sensible apart from effectively (though most probably unwittingly) blocking modding efforts. Finally the license's price was included into the game's price (we all know how it works), so not only modders do not have the ability to mod the game to the needed extent, but we even paid for not having this ability!
While this policy is understandable in the case of charging user for the copy-protection and things alike in the hope to prevent loosing $$ that should motivate further development work, in the SH5 case not only the money were unnecessarily spent but $$ loss is further aggravated by preventing modders saving the unfinished game. In my opinion this is squandering at its best!
Never give a loaded Weapon to someone not fully trained to use it properly.
Someone will get hurt.

Quote:
@ TDW,
This is amazing progress with bones, wtg! I actually wanted to ask whether I understand correctly that this non-moving meshes issue doesn't affect animation editing in the sense that when we will be editing animations we won't need to move the meshes? To give an example - if we think of the infamous 'ladder-climbing-lamp-changing' animation, I guess it is much easier to cut it directly in the file to leave only climbing part of it and we will not need 3d editor in this case. Sorry if it is a stupid question.
Editing animations will not involve the actual Models or the meshes they are made up from as was done in SH3.
One can edit the animations GR2 files to 'zero out' things in a way.
Say to remove the 'screw in the light bulb' part?
Just loop the information just before that part so the animation appears to pause for the set duration or change the timing so it passes quicker.
Old 11-22-11, 04:40 PM   #240
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.394.0 released. See post #1

Now you can edit everything related to bones (except the name) including extended data. In the Bones tab double click a bone or skeleton to have a window appear that will list all the properties associated with the bone/skeleton. Double click a property to change it's values. Values are immediately written to file when ok is clicked. As the changes are immediate you'll be able to see your changes on the screen also (after ok pressed).

Working on the meshes now (being able to scale, rotate, and reposition them)

Just some FYI: the inverseworldtransform I do not use in the app (rendering wise). I haven't been able to see it used in the game either so I haven't utilized it. If you do find that it actually does something in game let me know so I can see what it does.

You still can't change the model's position, rotations, or scaling yet. I'll probably have that in next version.

The transform that is used for rendering is bone transform * model transform