SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-13, 06:06 PM   #3706
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Good question! I have always assumed that if a mod changed the files in the /Data folder, and the changes seemed to make sense, that it should operate as advertised. Other than that faith, I think it would be hard to be sure the mod you mention was working just by observing game play.

Anybody else got an idea?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 03:13 AM   #3707
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

Need Help with the Batch File.

Brand new computer Win7 64 with 8 gigs of RAM
Install the sim from my old disk, Installed the no-cd files, patched to V1.4.
Tested the sim and it worked great !!

Then I installed GWX and Commander. No other patches or add ons at all. Tests out just great !!!

Downloaded V1.6 etc.. When I put a copy of my SH3.exe in the file and run the batch I get the no compatible sh3 file found.

The SH3 version shows 1.4.0.1
2.22 megs in size.

What must be done to get this file to work?

Thanks !!!
AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 05:54 AM   #3708
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Downloads: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsdad View Post
Installed the no-cd files, patched to V1.4.
That's your culprit. Patcher expects original 1.4 exe.
radcapricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 01:00 PM   #3709
ohmygollygosh
Watch

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcapricorn View Post
That's your culprit. Patcher expects original 1.4 exe.
I found that I could patch the "nocd" culprit with the V16B1 kit. It was the MD5 check on the Stiebler3_V16B1 addition that finally forced me to buy a new starforce free copy of SH3.
Incidentally that also cured my saved game bug which had plagued me for years.
ohmygollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 01:15 PM   #3710
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygollygosh View Post
I found that I could patch the "nocd" culprit with the V16B1 kit. It was the MD5 check on the Stiebler3_V16B1 addition that finally forced me to buy a new starforce free copy of SH3.
Incidentally that also cured my saved game bug which had plagued me for years.
Now you have one of the coolest names I've come across in these parts

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 01:45 PM   #3711
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

On my old computer running Win7/32 I had no problem with the patch working as I had been running the sim for a while until I discovered h.sie's fixes.

There should be no Starforce since the sim was not started until after I put in the no-cd files.

If I were to uninstall everything and run the batch file on V1.4 before installing the no-cd/no Starforce files would that work or will those items ruin the SH3.exe?
AD
Old 12-27-13, 02:18 PM   #3712
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Downloads: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcapricorn View Post
Patcher expects original 1.4 exe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsdad View Post
If I were to uninstall everything and run the batch file on V1.4 before installing the no-cd/no Starforce files would that work or will those items ruin the SH3.exe?
AD
Patcher expects original 1.4 exe.

Don't install any no-cd "items" at all. Just get ubi's exe (1.4) and apply h.sie's patch. Don't patch it further with any other "items" afterwards. Well, except for Stiebler's additions.
radcapricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 08:42 PM   #3713
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Salute !!

Redcapricorn, I tried it your way and it still failed to work. So I deleted the hsie package and did a reg cleaning (just in case).

Installed the no-cd patch.

Then I downloaded hsie again, unzipped it to my "SH3 Stuff" folder and successfully got it to work !!!

So it looks like my first download of the zipped file was faulty... maybe....

Thanks for the help, guys !!!

AD
Old 12-29-13, 08:44 PM   #3714
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Next question.... I am running AVG Anti-Virus (free version). This keeps deleting my patched SH3.exe. Is there another anti-virus you can recommend that is more SH3 friendly?

Thanks,

AD
Old 12-29-13, 10:46 PM   #3715
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Any newer Anti-Virus that deletes files has a sub-routine called deep-scan ( I use avast ) I was having several files deleted and when I could not figure out the problem and I needed to do a Clean Install it would not unpackage the sh3 digital download version, so I went back to a star farce protected 2005 dvd version I started it once modded it and files were missing like sh3.exec. Then I figured out in settings on my Anti-Virus there was a Deep-Scan it was the Culprit. No Deep Scan! after that the digital download extracted installed everything works and my Anti-Virus leaves my games alone.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 01:45 PM   #3716
ohmygollygosh
Watch

Downloads: 105

[QUOTE=Andrewsdad;2157627]Next question.... I am running AVG Anti-Virus (free version). This keeps deleting my patched SH3.exe. Is there another anti-virus you can recommend that is more SH3 friendly?

AVG will be fine. You just need to ask it to ignore every folder where you have sh3.exe in it.

Open Avg.
Options/Advanced Settings/Exceptions/Add Exception
Then select 'folder' and browse to where your sh3.exe is.
ohmygollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 05:26 PM   #3717
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Good question! I have always assumed that if a mod changed the files in the /Data folder, and the changes seemed to make sense, that it should operate as advertised. Other than that faith, I think it would be hard to be sure the mod you mention was working just by observing game play.

Anybody else got an idea?
Well, you can always do experiments. For instance, play the same situation again and again (to avoid any random results) with and without the mod and see if you can see a difference. If you don't observe any difference, chances are very high that the mod does not work.

I have done several experiments with the 'depth-charge water disturbance' mod and could not see any effect (even with the increased settings TDW recommended). See the thread

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=181513&page=8

and my posts starting at #112. And since no one came up with a test/situation that clearly shows a difference with and without the mod (or gave reasons why my tests were wrong/not suitable), I don't think it works as intended.

Don't get me wrong, I would be really glad if someone could prove me wrong and provide clear evidence that the mod works. The missing effect of the depth-charges on the sensors is one of the few things still missing in SH3

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 05:35 PM   #3718
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
The missing effect of the depth-charges on the sensors is one of the few things still missing in SH3
And it certainly would be nice to be able to hide behind them, as I believe they did R/L.
Old 12-30-13, 06:18 PM   #3719
UncleBoomer
Watch

Downloads: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Hi Guys,

After trying to install different new mods (mainly Aces Super Turms and FM New Interior), my V16B1-patch doesn't work anymore, also the FM 2.1D doesn't work anymore either, even though both worked before on my GWX3.0 installation.

With the V16B1 patch installed via JSGME, now the game starts as before, on the lower left corner it still reads V16B1 BUT when I want to load a saved game in home base, the game crashes.

I'm kind of stumped, because it all worked before, with the same game installation and career but after fiddling around with the mods, everything kind of went downhill from there

Has anyone experienced something similar and perhaps, have any tips for me?
Im having the same issue .. Anyone have an idea of what could be the conflict here? Does this just have to do with the order in which mods are activated ? Im using GWX 3.0 (16km , enhanced dmg, no medals, CM icons) and hardcode patch. But activating fm interior new causes a crash on mission load. Game runs fine with fm interior de-activated.
Thanks.
original post at page 240 of the thread
UncleBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 08:04 PM   #3720
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Two rules for avoiding saved game CTDs on loading:

1) Never make any change to the mod load except when you have saved in port between patrols. There are some mods that require you to start a new career after you activate them. Most are not that stringent, but most will not work properly if you activate them and then try to load a mid-patrol save. And changing the mod load means making a change, then "putting it back like it was." Do not change the mod load AT ALL and try to load a mid-patrol save. (Yes, I know there are exceptions to this. But rather than trying to explain which mods might be OK, it is safer to make this a rigid rule.)

2) Never save a career using an existing savegame name. Delete the old save, then save again using the same name. But saving using an existing name can lead to failures, including CTDs. All three Ubisoft SH titles use a complex save algorithm, involving multiple files. Not all of these get rewritten properly when you write over an existing save. Deleting an existing save may only delete the name from the savegame list, but when you save using a name which is not on the list, ALL necessary files are written afresh. That is not always the case when you save using an existing name.

If you are using SH3 Commander, there is an additional rule: Never make the slightest change to your mod load without rolling back Commander. If you ignore this rule, you WILL corrupt your game files, and the only sure way to restore them is by a complete reinstall. If you find you have done this through neglect or carelessness, don't fight! Do a complete reinstall and you will be happier faster than if you try to undo the mess. Guess how I know this is true.

There are posts on this forum that describe all manner of special conditions (near land, near a port, near enemy vessels, submerged, et cetera) that are said to affect the stability of saved games.. But my experience has been that when I follow the three rules I've stated, I do not have problems loading and running saved games. When I don't - if I forget or try to save time - I do have problems. YMMV