Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-10, 01:15 AM   #1711
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasunx View Post
I don't mean any offense CaseySmith, but I don't think it would take much to blow U-571 out of the water.

None taken, I didnt particularily like that movie.. ps no need to use my whole name. dunno why used it as my SN .
Old 09-13-10, 04:44 AM   #1712
Nufsed
Sparky

Downloads: 500
Uploads: 0
Default Run Silent Run Deep 1

Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 04:45 AM   #1713
Nufsed
Sparky

Default Run Silent Run Deep 2

Old 09-13-10, 04:46 AM   #1714
Nufsed
Sparky

Default Run Silent Run Deep 3

Old 09-13-10, 11:11 AM   #1715
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

I wanted to be like Otto... Erm, it didn't work well but I'll share one thing anyway.

Kneel before the power of Photoshop!

Photoshopped picture

Original file
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 04:31 PM   #1716
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Herr Kapitaen, zis no Britz shiff, zis BLOODY ALIENZ!!!

Old 09-13-10, 06:00 PM   #1717
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Unfortunately I feel just the opposite. I love Das Boot but the exterior shots are so obviously models it drives me crazy sometimes. In the scenes of the boat running on the surface the foam is very much out of scale to what it looks like coming from a real 800-ton ship.

It could use modern CG technology.
then i strongly suggest not being so critical about movies.

Some people dont even like movies at ALL cause they arent realistic. Unless its a documentary, then respectfully (and not directed at you steve, just so you know) to shut up and enjoy the ACTUAL movie. U-571 was fantastic movie. Realistic? not as much a some would hope but so what? The only Blatant stray from realism, pretty much the only one at all, was the scene where they destroyed the resupply sub. it was still a FANTASTIC movie. If people want it to be so dam real then why dont you build a time machine and go back to 1943. Then you just steal a sub and Bam your getting all the damn realism in the world. (mind you this wasnt directed at anyone in particular).

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 06:46 AM   #1718
[501]Otto
Commander

Downloads: 87
Default @Abd_von_Mumit

Nice one, mate
[501]Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 09:47 AM   #1719
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
then i strongly suggest not being so critical about movies.
I'm not critical of movies at all, generally speaking. Unfortunately when it's a subject I know something about myself it's hard not to notice what is painfully obvious. I cut Das Boot a lot of slack because back in 1982 they didn't have CGI. I'm not critical, it's just something I notice, just as I do with Run Silent, Run Deep, because of the obvious juxtaposition between real footage and models.

Quote:
U-571 was fantastic movie. Realistic? not as much a some would hope but so what? The only Blatant stray from realism, pretty much the only one at all, was the scene where they destroyed the resupply sub.
The movie lost me the moment Harvey Keitel shouted "Dive" and rang the klaxon three times. The signal for a dive is two, surface is three. You might argue that it's a very minor thing, but it shows that they did exactly zero homework. After decades of similar movies getting it right, why would they suddenly get it wrong? Laziness, nothing more.

And it goes downhill from there. The story is a concocted perversion of history. The things they pull off are so blatantly over-the-top that it might have worked had it been billed as a comedy, except none of it was funny. As a movie and nothing more, sure it works. But so does The Conqueror. But it wasn't made as just a movie, it was claimed as a movie about history.

Quote:
it was still a FANTASTIC movie. If people want it to be so dam real then why dont you build a time machine and go back to 1943. Then you just steal a sub and Bam your getting all the damn realism in the world. (mind you this wasnt directed at anyone in particular).
It's a movie that could only be loved by someone with no knowledge of the sea, the navy, or history.
Old 09-14-10, 10:02 AM   #1720
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Aye to what SS said he has a point, there are things that they get painfully wrong and when so many before did it right, there is no excuse to getting it wrong. But either way I like both movies.. Down Periscope anyone??
Old 09-14-10, 02:34 PM   #1721
Karasunx
Planesman

Downloads: 150

Down periscope was good, plus it was cool seeing them use the USS Pampanito. I just can't get behind U-571...I think it's my dislike of Matthew McConaughey and maybe a few other things.
Old 09-14-10, 07:45 PM   #1722
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Had just sunk an aircraft carrier and the search was on but I fired a salvo from 3000m and was already 135m deep and long gone by the time they made impact. Plane made an attack run on an area where some depth charges was dropped but they never had a clue where I was.

7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 09:23 PM   #1723
Joloc
Watch

Downloads: 83

SPOILER WARNING:

I finally managed to get total victory in every campaign, which unlocked a secret mission! Thanks to me Germans develop the A-bomb before allies and adapt it into convenient nuclear-tipped cruise missiles that fit into torpedo tubes.

Below is a screenshot of a night-time nuclear cruise missile attack against London:

Last edited by Joloc; 09-15-10 at 01:08 AM.
Joloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 09:52 PM   #1724
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Joloc, please include a BIG and red SPOILER WARNING before your post. Thank you.
Old 09-14-10, 11:20 PM   #1725
Karasunx
Planesman

Downloads: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
Had just sunk an aircraft carrier and the search was on but I fired a salvo from 3000m and was already 135m deep and long gone by the time they made impact. Plane made an attack run on an area where some depth charges was dropped but they never had a clue where I was.

Very cool attack run 7thSeal and it made a great screenshot to boot.