SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-15, 12:33 PM   #1
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
As of a few months I use it at work and hate it.

And the start button, it's just another button that takes you back to those tiles.

so I stick to my original statement...it belongs on smartphones and tablets but it's not an OS that belongs on a PC because it's UI, navigating it and design decisions is abismal.
So the old PC at work finally died, that's a good couple of years you (work) got out of it, I remember you complaining about it on irc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Good list. I hate win 8. It's just re-arranging the deck furniture, but harder to find. I think MS has their own version of Intel's tick-tock theory that is driving their company, except MS can take something good and totally ruin it.
I read about Intel's tick tocking a week or so ago.

Win 8 has its place on tablets, and 10 is too similar for regular desktop work.

7 will be my new build.
Old 06-12-15, 12:50 PM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I am purely guessing, but it might be a good idea to hold on to Win7. I bet a lot of program devs do so too, seeing how Win7 was the last good, "something new" windows.

Though, if your programs only involve Adobe, then you're safe. I'm sure they release Adobe 2016 with nothing new, but support for Windows 10.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 12:50 PM   #3
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
So the old PC at work finally died, that's a good couple of years you (work) got out of it, I remember you complaining about it on irc.
Yep, I think it was about that time the PSU was having a temperamental fit. Random power downs and boot up cycles at the most inconvenient of times whilst trying to do my work

In total it gone through a crashed HDD and a failing PSU before a few months ago it simply refused to boot up. I would recon a good 7-8 years of service.
Old 06-12-15, 03:05 PM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

How do you guys break that stuff? I have never, ever broken anything on my PC.. and I have no case ventilation (sides are open completely).

Damn n00bs.
Old 06-12-15, 03:10 PM   #5
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
How do you guys break that stuff? I have never, ever broken anything on my PC.. and I have no case ventilation (sides are open completely).

Damn n00bs.
Don't you people in the Northern Waste Lands have to pump heat into your PC's to keep them from locking up?

Old 06-12-15, 04:22 PM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Don't you people in the Northern Waste Lands have to pump heat into your PC's to keep them from locking up?

Them polar bears do it for us. Just need to make sure they've got enough penguins for snacks.
Old 08-06-15, 10:23 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Yep, I think it was about that time the PSU was having a temperamental fit. Random power downs and boot up cycles at the most inconvenient of times whilst trying to do my work

In total it gone through a crashed HDD and a failing PSU before a few months ago it simply refused to boot up. I would recon a good 7-8 years of service.
PSU about $30. Hard drive probably scrambled by PSU failure while writing to hard drive. Probability hard drive is really bad is less than 20%. If it is you can replace it for about $50. Then you would be good as new.

What's that new computer cost? Unless you unhappy with how it ran when it was working I don't think it's appropriate to buy a new computer with a completely untried operating system. You'd be a beta tester with no compensation.
http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...BDqAy67krLYggQ

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...YyqYc.B8prNRMw

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

And there's the privacy aspect of Windows 10. As you can see above, what we know so far is not encouraging. While Microsoft is "protecting us" with UEFI (keeping alternative operating systems from easily dual booting or replacing Windows), they are not protecting our privacy and in fact are looking at our private information as the piggy bank that finances their operation. This is not cool. Profits should not come from treating your customers as prey. I'm not willing to tolerate that.

Finally, a review of Windows 10 not written by a bought and paid for reviewer. You know who they are....
www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/rising_and_ongoing_cost_of_windows

Conclusion: for those not having previous experience and for those whose only experience is the Windows 8 family, this looks like a good upgrade if...... For those migrating from Windows 7, run away--it's NOT an upgrade for you. For all, whether they are recommended to install or not to install, watch carefully for news as news continues to emerge as to how Microsoft is treating you as a victim instead of a customer who commands respect. They do not have your back except for the opportunity to stick a knife in it. If you're very good at OS-fu you might be able to live with that. But the jury is very out and the pioneers get all the arrows.

Operating system as Facebook on steroids. Whodathunkit? It's here.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-06-15 at 11:50 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 11:45 AM   #8
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I'm not rushing in to the lion's den until I know that lion is a pussy cat and will not bite my backside off. I will make my mind up May 2016 but I am leaning towards not bothering as it stands at the moment.

Sod keeping up with the joneses.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 07:02 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Free W10 upgrade came through this morning but I've rescheduled the install for this coming Sunday to give me time to do a bit of researching on the OS.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 12:36 PM   #10
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

I am going to install it on my work laptop first, see how that goes

Installing it tonight at home.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows