SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-07, 03:58 AM   #31
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

It's slightly sluggish but playable on my System using GeForce 5700LE (256MB) And 1 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 4000.

Ok, it's on Low settings but graphics look good and is playable.

Still waiting for 1 more 1 GB RAM and hoping for new (or slightly used) GeForce 7800 Video Card on Ebay
Old 04-03-07, 11:59 AM   #32
tankeriv
A-ganger

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector
It's slightly sluggish but playable on my System using GeForce 5700LE (256MB) And 1 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 4000.

Ok, it's on Low settings but graphics look good and is playable.

Still waiting for 1 more 1 GB RAM and hoping for new (or slightly used) GeForce 7800 Video Card on Ebay
You can attempt to overclock your card a bit until your 7800 arrives?
tankeriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 12:52 PM   #33
madmike81
Sparky

Downloads: 0

it passed on all mine as well, (high end laptop here) but the waves over the scope just kill me with lag. so im hoping that someone...somewhere....someone will make a mod to shut those off.
madmike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 04:39 PM   #34
wahoo
Watch

Default computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Can your computer run Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific?

Find out now and click the button below !

NO, it is a good one, but due to the specs of this game and others I decided to
buy a brand new computer!!!
I get it next week, and am excited about going on my first patrol!!!!!!
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 10:42 AM   #35
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Yeah, sounds like SH4 and Vista are really creating a boom in the hardware market
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:16 AM   #36
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Shameless BUMP
Old 04-05-07, 11:38 AM   #37
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Finally i´ve bought SH4 for 18 euros (really a bargain) ,at least i can mess and digg in the game files now.

i tried it in my system, a 2400+ with a 6600GT and 1GB ddr400, and as i suspected it don´t run well.

in Pearl Harbour in the dock with everything out, 1.0 version, hdisk fragmented, and some little background programs.

Tower 10 sometimes down to 6 ( the dreaded monolith ?? )
Interior 20
External cam 10
Map 25
Uzo 12

In open sea

Tower 21
Interior 21
External 21
Map 36
Uzo 27

for compare things in sh3 Gw in port i have 15,20,10,30,7

The mouse is a bit laggy sometimes but not unplayable, also it´s not and action game as quake, so i can live with it. but it would be nice if dev team optimize more the engine.

Now i´m looking in the files to see if i can ridd off the placton of the water,
also there are a lot of interesting files, perhaps not related with performance but yes whith graphics, like filters/shaders/textures folders.

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:39 AM   #38
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo
Quote:
Can your computer run Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific?

Find out now and click the button below !

NO, it is a good one, but due to the specs of this game and others I decided to
buy a brand new computer!!!
I get it next week, and am excited about going on my first patrol!!!!!!
Build it instead

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:48 AM   #39
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Build it ? In many countries that is a good way to make sure your pc will be more expensive. When ever I read about a good system and check what the various parts cost in the store I always end up with a total price that is higher then the assembled PC in the shop ?!?!?!

And of course many people do not see the fun in building your own rig, or simply do not have the time or skill.
Old 04-05-07, 12:04 PM   #40
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Build it ?
The problem sometimes with store-bought PCs is that on the surface you may be getting a kick-ass system for the price, however when you ask some questions, or do some research you realize that internally it is not what you want. Ram capabilities, motherbaord not supporting dual-core or quad core processors, overclocking capabilities, future upgrades, that sort of thing.

Plus you can avoid Vista as well, but still build something you know will run it in the future.

A member on this forum helped me to build my current system.

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 04-05-07 at 01:23 PM.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:33 PM   #41
MrMike
Bilge Rat

Default New member to the forum, I can run it with a old computer

I have a 2002 Emachine
AMD Athelon 64 3200+
1.99 Ghz 512MB of Ram
RAdeon x700 Graphics Card 8.351.0.0 Driver Version

Playing the game at medium graphics settings with the light shaft and Envir eff boxes also checked. Have no delays or lags at all changing screens, etc. When I had it on full bore with everything checked I had a 5-10 delay and then a little lagging for another 30 secs each time i would change screens.

The check program here said I failed even minimal and couldnt play the game so I wouldnt put full confidence in it myself.

Anyway look forward to talking with you all more, good hunting!!!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:53 PM   #42
TheSatyr
Captain

I actually tried running it on an FX5200,heh.(Well...when I ordered it they were still claiming the game would work with the FX series...so I took a chance).

Funny thing was that I could sort of play the missions...took patience though,but When starting a campaign I never made it out of the dock...framerate was like 1/3 FPS...hahaha.

I'm not disappointed though. I knew my rig probably wouldn't be able to handle the game. I have no plans on upgrading this pc though...no PCIX slots...a 250w power supply...and nearly 4 years old. What amazes me is how well it runs games like MT2W and WoW...so far I've only had trouble with NWN2 and SH4. (Funny how those two both use securrom).

I do intend on buying a new pc this summer...probably dual-core with 2 gigs of RAM and with at least an Nividia 7100 card. IF my financial situation stabilizes...blah.
TheSatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 06:50 PM   #43
Fercyful
Medic

Downloads: 97

Hi there m8s!!

Well pretty happy right now... I just change parts of my computer and now I CAN PLAY THE GAME in the way I want...

first I want to thanks "KevinM" and "Linavitch" for their help in testing some parts of the game, thanks to those test I finally buy the new stuff thanks guys

lets see:

before:
SEMPRON 2800+ @ 1999 mhz (don´t reach 2000 sorry LOL) (old 472 socket)
ASUS A78VX-X
EVGA 7800GS OC (430-1300)
1,5 GB DDR1 RAM @ 333
HD 2 x 80 GB (IDE 133)
WINXP SP2

NOW:
CORE2DUO E6600 @ 2,4 ghz (new stuff)
ASROCK 4CORE-VSTA DUAL (new stuff)

EVGA 7800GS OC (430-1300)
1,5 GB DDR1 RAM @ 333
HD 2 x 80 GB (IDE 133)
WINXP SP2

benchmarks: (all options ON,1024x768)

At Pearl port 1941 start of campaign... (take note that Pearl is one of the most CPU+GPU intensive parts fo the game...)

before : inside sub.......: 20 FPS
F5 bridge view.: 10-14 FPS
free cam........: 8-10 FPS

now (same situation) :
inside sub........: 60/100 FPS (and no problems at 1024 TC!)
F5 bridge view..: 25 FPS (those 11 more really counts!)
free cam..........: 25/28 FPS great

and if I turn off the "monolith of death a 2001 space odyssey in game" :rotfl: (aka Env effects ) the 25 goes to 30/33 FPS... nice! (hope they will add more performance in next patch to that specific nice water effect and fix the monolith and quite invisible crew...)

(hey! pretty the same as you Linavitch! same mother+CPU, yeah!! I think a lot in your benchmark when I first enter the game... believe me really a high tension moment here!! hehe then after ctrl-F8 : WE DID IT )

So I´m very happy with my PC right now... in other parts of the game like nav school or free ocean (under campaign) things are super smooth for my eyes (30 FPS and up is fine with this type of game...and the human eye don´t see much difference after those numbers...) (but I still want AA please!!! )

I can also play oblivion very well (even on cities) and SHIII with Grey Wolves is other game here... in ports much more FPS before was a slide show...company of heroes also super nice, you was right Linavitch core2duo was the move to do (in my $ sytuation)... and with this VSTA mother I can use all the stuff I have here... so if you are with a AGP system and a low CPU have all this in mind for an quite low $$$ upgrade of your system... any help I´m here.

uff!! this was llloonnggg

well thanks for reading and time to play now!
Old 04-05-07, 07:37 PM   #44
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

I had similar results to surfnsun in that I was over spec. The dvd rom failed with min spec of 4x and it's 40x. I had a DVD disk in the drive for it to read.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:54 PM   #45
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatyr
I actually tried running it on an FX5200,heh.(Well...when I ordered it they were still claiming the game would work with the FX series...so I took a chance).

Funny thing was that I could sort of play the missions...took patience though,but When starting a campaign I never made it out of the dock...framerate was like 1/3 FPS...hahaha.

I'm not disappointed though. I knew my rig probably wouldn't be able to handle the game. I have no plans on upgrading this pc though...no PCIX slots...a 250w power supply...and nearly 4 years old. What amazes me is how well it runs games like MT2W and WoW...so far I've only had trouble with NWN2 and SH4. (Funny how those two both use securrom).

I do intend on buying a new pc this summer...probably dual-core with 2 gigs of RAM and with at least an Nividia 7100 card. IF my financial situation stabilizes...blah.
Yes , sometimes is difficult upgrade old systems, because you can create a bottleneck very easily

i´m going to stay with my actual configuration unless i found an used or cheap card for my old computer and in 6 months build a new system from scratch, except the tower and the 550w power supply.

SH4 have to be patched a lot in the next months, and modded , so i´m using more sh3 than sh4 now.

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote