SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-14, 07:11 PM   #1
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 won't start(resolved)

Silent Hunter 4 with the U-Boat addon played well for over 40 hours and after that I took a 2/3 wees break and when I tried playing again, it wouldn't start. I re-installed the game several times and it still didn't work. When I try it doesn't come up with any error messages or attempt to play. I have the game on steam and I would appreciate any help in getting it to work again.

Last edited by Commander_Apollo; 11-19-14 at 08:33 PM. Reason: problem was fixed
Commander_Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 07:35 PM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I do not play anything from steam ... I have less headaches that way.

Could be an update that has now prevented the game from running.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 07:38 PM   #3
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61

I also had this problem before.

***Doing this will delete your configurations like launch options, cfgs and autoexecs of other games. You might want to backup those files first.***

Now do this:
  • Delete everything inside your Steam folder except 'steamapps' (where your game files are located) and 'Steam.exe'.
  • Start-up Steam again and it will re-download all of those files you've deleted. Chances are your Steam has corrupted files, doing that usually fixes the problem.

Some hardcore simmers here hate Steam so just play along . From one Steam dude to another, ----->
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 09:09 PM   #4
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthtok33l View Post
I also had this problem before.

***Doing this will delete your configurations like launch options, cfgs and autoexecs of other games. You might want to backup those files first.***

Now do this:
  • Delete everything inside your Steam folder except 'steamapps' (where your game files are located) and 'Steam.exe'.
  • Start-up Steam again and it will re-download all of those files you've deleted. Chances are your Steam has corrupted files, doing that usually fixes the problem.

Some hardcore simmers here hate Steam so just play along . From one Steam dude to another, ----->
Sadly it did not work

I'm not a big fan of Steam but its the only way I could get Arma and Silent Hunter

Last edited by Commander_Apollo; 11-18-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 10:42 PM   #5
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Apollo View Post
Sadly it did not work

I'm not a big fan of Steam but its the only way I could get Arma and Silent Hunter

Try uninstalling it again but this time delete all leftover files and folders of the game inside steamapps, you might want to also delete the game's registry files.
Here's a little instruction thingy to access your registry: http://yhoo.it/1xBtPJM

If it does not work, leave your computer specs etc. so that other people can see and help.
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 11:10 PM   #6
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthtok33l View Post

Try uninstalling it again but this time delete all leftover files and folders of the game inside steamapps, you might want to also delete the game's registry files.
Here's a little instruction thingy to access your registry: http://yhoo.it/1xBtPJM

If it does not work, leave your computer specs etc. so that other people can see and help.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VPCL116FX
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6080MB RAM
Page File: 4521MB used, 9236MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Old 11-18-14, 11:41 PM   #7
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Greetings! Fellow Steamer here. Do you have any mods installed? If so, disable them first. In the Steam Library, right click on 'Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions', click 'Properties'. Click the 'LOCAL FILES' tab. Click 'VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE'.

This compares the files you have installed with Steam's master copy. I expect it will find several that don't match up and redownload them. That's always fixed mine and it's quite a bit easier than doing a complete uninstall and reinstall like the disc people have to do. After that you can re-enable any mods you are using.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 12:17 AM   #8
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPrey View Post
Greetings! Fellow Steamer here. Do you have any mods installed? If so, disable them first. In the Steam Library, right click on 'Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions', click 'Properties'. Click the 'LOCAL FILES' tab. Click 'VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE'.

This compares the files you have installed with Steam's master copy. I expect it will find several that don't match up and redownload them. That's always fixed mine and it's quite a bit easier than doing a complete uninstall and reinstall like the disc people have to do. After that you can re-enable any mods you are using.
those were the first things I did and to no luck
Old 11-19-14, 06:30 PM   #9
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Doh! Alright... have you made SH4 large address aware? Also, were your DPI settings at 150% back when it worked? Did you do any tweaking with the graphics control panel since it worked?

Are you playing on a laptop and is it in power saver mode? Or have onboard graphics enabled? Finally, I think a multi-monitor set up kept my game from being able to run: It would run in clone mode but not with the desktop extended.

That's all I can think of right now. When you do figure it out please let us know. By the way, don't feel any obligation to provide me answers to these questions; you're the one troubleshooting. I'm just hoping to point you in the right direction. Best of luck.
Old 11-19-14, 08:33 PM   #10
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Quote:
Doh! Alright... have you made SH4 large address aware? Also, were your DPI settings at 150% back when it worked? Did you do any tweaking with the graphics control panel since it worked?

Are you playing on a laptop and is it in power saver mode? Or have onboard graphics enabled? Finally, I think a multi-monitor set up kept my game from being able to run: It would run in clone mode but not with the desktop extended.

That's all I can think of right now. When you do figure it out please let us know. By the way, don't feel any obligation to provide me answers to these questions; you're the one troubleshooting. I'm just hoping to point you in the right direction. Best of luck.
I completely forgot that I changed my DPI a while back. I changed it back to 150 and now the game is working again.

Thank you everyone for helping me
Old 11-19-14, 10:06 PM   #11
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

SHO

Anytime. Happy hunting.
Old 11-19-14, 10:14 PM   #12
Commander_Apollo
Swabbie

Quote:
Anytime. Happy hunting.
Already sunk 20,000 tons with the USS Spearfish
Old 11-20-14, 11:42 AM   #13
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

You can still purchase Silent Hunter at other locations besides steam.

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-.../dp/B002WC80R4

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...BYQDYYFWM67Q0N

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...6838850&sr=8-1

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SH4GE/s...4-gold-edition

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILENT-HUNTE...item5893e00b13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silent-Hunte...item5b07b64a7d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILENT-HUNTE...item5634d9227d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILENT-HUNTE...item35df847e85

Most of the time you can find copies for less than 10 dollars.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote