SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-18, 11:03 AM   #2266
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ If any are in English I wouldn't mind a link to them.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 02:06 PM   #2267
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ I have become an (involuntary lol) "fan" of the german small cruisers of WW1, from the Koenigsberg class and its initial SMS »Koenigsberg« to its successors, the »Emden« and the »Dresden«. ("SMS" is "Seiner Majestaet Schiff", just like "HMS").
We are currently (since years) collecting information about the german ships »Khalif« and the »Koenigsberg«, and the effort to reach German East-Africa with the Zeppelin to help the german army with their Askaris. A member of our family was a crew member of said Zeppelin, a friend was first officer on the »Khalif«. They are all dead now, unfortunately.
Its commanders and missions were well known until 1945, when the history of german military generally somehow seized to exist
Karl von Mueller, Fritz von Muecke, Graf Luckner and their men were the military heroes of the time in Germany, just like Lettow-Vorbeck.
The Zeppelin, The »Graf Goetzen« and the Africa-Zeppelin are also part of an english novel "The ghosts of Africa", fictional but with a lot of real historic details.

Most documentaries i saw are not on Youtube – which is no surprise of course, since there are no english translations i know of.

This should be english translation of one of them:
About the SMS Emden, first part

Second part is about the SMS Dresden

Also a bit of Canaris' fate:

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 07:15 AM   #2268
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Danke matey, I will watch them

Old 03-15-18, 07:29 AM   #2269
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1930 First streamlined submarine of US navy, USS Nautilus, launched.

1939 Reneging on his pledge in the Munich Agreement, Hitler occupies and annexes Czechoslovakia.

1940 Hermann Goering says 100-200 church bells enough for Germany, smelt the rest.

1985 The first Internet domain name, symbolics.com is registered.

Old 03-16-18, 07:34 AM   #2270
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1834 Charles Darwin, aboard HMS Beagle, anchors in the Falklands Islands for the first time.

1915 British battle cruisers Inflexible & Irresistible hit mines in Dardanelles.

1940 German air raid on British fleet base Scapa Flow.

1944 French Vichy Internal minister Pierre Pucheu sentenced to death for treason.

1945 Würzburg, Germany is 90% destroyed, with 5,000 dead, in only 20 minutes by British bombers.

1955 President Eisenhower upholds the use of atomic weapons in case of war.

1968 My Lai massacre occurs when American soldiers kill ~400 unarmed Vietnamese civilians, in one of the most controversial incidents of the Vietnam War.

Old 03-17-18, 08:03 AM   #2271
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

432 Saint Patrick, aged about 16 is captured by Irish pirates from his home in Great Britain and taken as a slave to Ireland.

1898 John Philip Holland achieves successful test run for the first modern submarine off Staten Island, submerging for 1 hour 40 minutes.

1942 Bełżec Concentration Camp opens with the transport of 30,000 Lublin Polish Jews.

1966 US submarine locates missing H-bomb in Mediterranean.

Old 03-18-18, 08:14 AM   #2272
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 French battleship Bouvet explodes, 640 killed.

1940 Benito Mussolini and Italy join Hitler in Germany's war against France and Britain.

1949 NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Org) ratified.

1965 Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.

Old 03-19-18, 12:58 PM   #2273
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 THIS BEING A NAVAL FORUM

Quote:
United States Secretary of Navy, Gideon Welles, wrote to Rear-Admiral Samuel F. Du Pont, Commanding the United States South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and said “the destruction of the Georgiana not only touched their pockets, but their hopes. She was a splendid craft, peculiarly fitted for the business of privateering
1863: The Georgiana, a brig-rigged steamer belonging to the Confederate Navy during the Civil War, is scuttled. Reputed to be the "most powerful" cruiser in the Confederate fleet, she was never used in battle. On her maiden voyage from Scotland-and still without mounted guns- but laden with a contraband cargo consisting of hundreds of tons of assorted merchandise, munitions and medicines, which had been purchased for today’s equivalent of approximately two million dollars.- where she was built, she encountered Union Navy ships engaged in a blockade of Charleston, South Carolina,( the birthplace of submarine warfare!) and was heavily damaged before being scuttled by her captain. The wreck was discovered in 1965 and lies in the shallow waters of Charleston's harbor. She had been spotted by the armed U.S. Armed-Yacht America (of the famed America's Cup racing trophy) which alerted the remainder of the blockade fleet by shooting up colored signal flares. The Georgiana was sunk after a desperate chase in which she came so close to the big guns aboard the USS Wissahickon that her crew even heard the orders being given on the U.S. vessel. With solid shot passing entirely though her hull, her propeller and rudder damaged, and with no hope for escape, Capt. A. B. Davidson flashed a white light in token of surrender, thus gaining time to beach his ship in fourteen feet (4.3 m) of water, three-quarters of a mile (1200 m) from shore and, after first scuttling her, escaped on the land side with all hands; this was construed as "the most consummate treachery" by the disappointed blockading crew, who would have shared in the proceeds from the prize. The scuttled Georgianna would herself sink three blockade runners who ran over the wreck attempting to run the blockade. 1965:
The wreck is discovered by German-born Dr. F.Lee Spence, who also found the submarine CSS Hunley, with the blockade runner Mary Bowers-victim #2- resting atop the wreck...102 years to the day of its scuttling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Lee Spence
On March 19, 1965, the one hundred and second anniversary of her sinking, I booked still another flying lesson with the hope that the tide, currents and sunlight would be exactly right and allow me to spot the wreck from the air. My theory was that the strong currents running cross the seafloor would pick up loose silt from the muddy bottom and, as they crashed into the wreck, the muddy water would be thrust up towards the slightly clearer surface waters making a muddy but visible streak. After almost an hour of doing tight, nauseating circles back and forth about a mile off the Isle of Palms, South Carolina, I finally saw what I was after. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Lee_Spence
Required reading: http://shipwrecks.com/discovery-of-the-georgiana/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 01:19 PM   #2274
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1863 Confederate cruiser SS Georgiana destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, and medicines then valued over $1,000,000. Wreck discovered exactly 102 years later by teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence.

1920 US Senate rejects Treaty of Versailles for 2nd time refusing to ratify League of Nations' covenant (maintaining isolation policy).

1945 Adolf Hitler issues "Nero Decree" to destroy all German factories.

2003 Invasion of Iraq by American and British-led coalition begins without United Nations support and in defiance of world opinion.

Old 03-20-18, 03:25 PM   #2275
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1815 Napoleon enters Paris after escape from Elba, begins 100-day rule.

1917 After the sinking of 3 more American merchant ships, US President Woodrow Wilson meets with cabinet, who agree that war is inevitable.

1934 Rudolf Kuhnold demonstrates radar in Kiel Germany.

1933 Dachau the first Nazi concentration camp, is completed.

1942 Convoy PQ13 departs Reykjavik Iceland to Russia.

1942 General MacArthur vows "I came through and I shall return" after escaping Japanese invaded Philippines.

Old 03-21-18, 09:02 AM   #2276
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1942 Convoy QP9 departs Great Britain to Murmansk.

1943 Assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler fails.

1945 First Japanese flying bombs (ochas) attack Okinawa.

2014 Russia formally annexes Crimea amid international condemenation.

Old 03-21-18, 11:48 AM   #2277
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Moondog Coronation Ball

1952: history's first rock and roll concert is held in CLEVELAND Ohio.Radio host Alan Freed wanted to reward his loyal listeners, his Moondoggers. He wanted a concert to celebrate the new teen music. A BIG event.
And he got just that. An event so big that many consider it the birthday for Rock and Roll.
7000 TICKETS AT $1.25-$1.75!
Quote:
Tickets selling out in a single day. Thousands of teenagers, hours before show time, lining up outside the biggest venue in town. The scene outside the Cleveland Arena on a chilly Friday night in March more than 50 years ago would look quite familiar to anyone who has ever attended a major rock concert. But no one on this particular night had ever even heard of a “rock concert.” This, after all, was the night of an event now recognized as history’s first major rock-and-roll show...an estimated 20,000-25,000 fans turned out for an event being held in an arena with a capacity of only 10,000. Less than an hour into the show, the massive overflow crowd broke through the gates that were keeping them outside, and police & fire quickly moved in to stop the show almost as soon as it began. On the radio the very next evening, Promoter and radio host Alan Freed, having wanted to reward his loyal listeners, his Moondoggers offered an apology to listeners who had tried to attend the canceled event. By way of explanation, Freed said: “If anyone…had told us that some 20 or 25,000 people would try to get into a dance—I suppose you would have been just like me. You would have laughed and said they were crazy.”
Considering the bias against 'devil music' and featuring black Rock and Roll artists-a real breakthrough! The unbelievable is now commonplace!
and it still gets crazy! My favorite & talk about audience participation here:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 07:07 AM   #2278
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 James Stewart is inducted into the Army, becoming the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in World War II.

1944 American movie star Jimmy Stewart flies his 12th combat mission, leading the 2nd Bomb Wing in an attack on Berlin.

1965 US confirms its troops used chemical warfare against the Vietcong.

Old 03-23-18, 06:28 AM   #2279
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

on this day in 1966

Arthur Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury, and Pope Paul VI meet and exchange greetings in Rome,
the first official meeting between heads of the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches in more than four hundred years.

Note: Anglican church also relates to the Church of England which goes back to the 2nd century ... 400 years is a long long time
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 07:36 AM   #2280
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1903 Wright brothers obtain airplane patent.

1921 Germany announces it will be unable to meet its Great War reparation payments.

1929 First telephone installed in the White House.

1933 Enabling Act: German Reichstag grants Adolf Hitler dictatorial powers.

1942 US move native-born of Japanese ancestry into detention centers.

1944 Royal Air Force gunner Nicholas Alkemade falls 5,500 m out of a plane without a parachute over Nazi Germany and lives.

1945 Largest operation in WWII's Pacific War, 1,500 US Navy ships bomb the Japanese island of Okinawa.