SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-08, 06:13 AM   #1
JT1981
Planesman

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0
Default Magnification of Periscope in uboat!

As I know, the magnification of Uboats' periscope should be 1.5*/6*(IX B/C),but in sh4 uboat add on,it shows 1*/4*,i think it is a small mistake,Can anyone tell me how to fix it or i make a mistake?

Thank you!
JT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 12:56 PM   #2
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1981
As I know, the magnification of Uboats' periscope should be 1.5*/6*(IX B/C),but in sh4 uboat add on,it shows 1*/4*,i think it is a small mistake,Can anyone tell me how to fix it or i make a mistake?

Thank you!
I assume this was a dev mistake, but I don't know. My question is; what do you need it for? If you are attacking within the optimum range you shouldn't need the mag.
Not trying to be an a$$, I'm just saying it can certainly be done without it.

edit: btw I think you are right. I don't have my book to check but I think they did have that mag factor.

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 03:32 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's a holdover from SH3. The Attack scope was 1.5/6, the Observation scope was 1/4. It wasn't until later that someone (Sergbuto, Rubini, Hitman...one of those geniuses) found out the truth. It's the same for the American boats. It can be fixed, and has several times in SH3. SH4 will happen, I'm sure.
Old 06-23-08, 01:45 AM   #4
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

I think also to some degree these were not always the same in every boat. There was more than one manufacturer and more than one configuration
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 06:59 AM   #5
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to fix it
Actually, back to your other question: You can do it with Swaskjer's S3D editor. It's quick and simple, just a matter of opening the file, looking for the optical properties of the periscopes (Attack and observation) and changing the zoom.
Old 06-23-08, 08:41 AM   #6
JT1981
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to fix it
Actually, back to your other question: You can do it with Swaskjer's S3D editor. It's quick and simple, just a matter of opening the file, looking for the optical properties of the periscopes (Attack and observation) and changing the zoom.
Thank you,but an most important thing is which file i should open?
Old 06-23-08, 11:07 AM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Upppss sorry forgot that detail

IIRC you must open "cameras.dat" in Data\Library. Make first a back up of it and remove the back-up from the Silent Hunter folder -don't ask me why but the game apparently still recognizes the file if it is kept there even with changed name- then start tweaking it.

In S3D editor, you will go f.e. to entry 126, then 134 Optical, then 135 parameters. Now you should see in the right part of the screen the parameters you can tweak.

Here is an example screenshot, where I have highlighted with red circles the items I clicked to arrive to the proper place. Hope it helps

Old 06-24-08, 04:56 AM   #8
JT1981
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Upppss sorry forgot that detail

IIRC you must open "cameras.dat" in Data\Library. Make first a back up of it and remove the back-up from the Silent Hunter folder -don't ask me why but the game apparently still recognizes the file if it is kept there even with changed name- then start tweaking it.

In S3D editor, you will go f.e. to entry 126, then 134 Optical, then 135 parameters. Now you should see in the right part of the screen the parameters you can tweak.

Here is an example screenshot, where I have highlighted with red circles the items I clicked to arrive to the proper place. Hope it helps

Thank you very much,you are a real warmhearted man,I will follow your step,and wish i will succeed!

I have change the attack periscope,you highlighted the item is obs-periscope!!

Last edited by JT1981; 06-24-08 at 05:59 AM.