SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-11, 02:15 PM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Just pulling your leg. I would never even try to learn the grammar mess that German is if it would not have been breastfed to me.

Maybe you'll appreciate this quote from the late, great Mark Twain:
"Since long, my gentlemen, have I the passionate longing nursed a speech on German to hold, but one has me not permitted."
http://www.langeslag.org/teaching/ge...Mark_Twain.pdf
Old 08-31-11, 03:05 PM   #17
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
It is

Der Bahnhof ist die zweite Straße auf der rechten Seite.
This is uncannily true from where I sit... add one left turn on the second street and you're there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

Maybe you'll appreciate this quote from the late, great Mark Twain:
"Since long, my gentlemen, have I the passionate longing nursed a speech on German to hold, but one has me not permitted."
http://www.langeslag.org/teaching/ge...Mark_Twain.pdf
Ha, this is great! I didn't even know that Twain visited Europe, nor that he spoke German.
I read the original, it was much better, as the translator did a literal translation, where his right sentences appear like he spoke them wrong at his speech. He actually used the German language in a nearly perfect way, only some minor flaws identify his English language background.

Here is something for you, I didn't wanted to quote it till the next immigration debate, but this is too good to hold back:

Benjamin Franklin about the Germans:
Quote:
Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation, and as Ignorance is often attended with Credulity when Knavery would mislead it, and with Suspicion when Honesty would set it right; and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, 'tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain. Their own Clergy have very little influence over the people; who seem to take an uncommon pleasure in abusing and discharging the Minister on every trivial occasion.

Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it; and as Kolben says of the young Hottentots, that they are not esteemed men till they have shewn their manhood by beating their mothers, so these seem to think themselves not free, till they can feel their liberty in abusing and insulting their Teachers. Thus they are under no restraint of Ecclesiastical Government; They behave, however, submissively enough at present to the Civil Government which I wish they may continue to do: For I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties;

Few of their children in the Country learn English; they import many Books from Germany; and of the six printing houses in the Province, two are entirely German, two half German half English, and but two entirely English; They have one German News-paper, and one half German. Advertisements intended to be general are now printed in Dutch and English; the Signs in our Streets have inscriptions in both languages, and in some places only German: They begin of late to make all their Bonds nad other legal Writings in their own Language, which (though I think it ought not to be) are allowed good in our Courts, where the German Business so encreases that there is continual need of Interpreters; and I suppose in a few years they will be also necessary in the Assembly, to tell one half of our Legislators what the other half say; In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious
source: http://www.historycarper.com/resourc...2/letter18.htm
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 04:42 PM   #18
Tribesman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
You can already see Orwell's beginning disillusion....
Penguin, wouldn't you say that was emerging in Aspidistra before Wigan
Old 09-01-11, 06:37 AM   #19
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

This is becoming a smaller world - Aspidistra was the name of one of the transmitters used by the aforementioned Dennis Sefton Delmer during his Black Propaganda times
Old 09-01-11, 01:18 PM   #20
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
Penguin, wouldn't you say that was emerging in Aspidistra before Wigan
You got me there, as I haven't read this one yet. It was one of the less printed books here. At the time I read most of his stuff, the hunger for books was in deep contrast to my finances, so I rwas dependent on the library.
Still have his BBC transcripts to read on my shelf, but I found a used copy of Aspidistra at amazon marketplace. You own me 6€!

You can work off the money by giving an elaboration, what in Aspidistra represents Orwell's emerging disillusion.
Old 09-02-11, 07:11 PM   #21
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Bump...

Penguin wrote:
Quote:
Looking forward to hear a judgement from you about Beevor's book, I am still in the Winter War atm
Am about one-third of the way through The Battle for Spain. So far and based on my recollections of Thomas' The Spanish Civil War, the latter goes into more detail as to causes and the turbulent political climate contributing to the war. The former however is far more readable and descriptive and the maps are infinitely better than the first mentioned book. Thomas is dry to the point of being pedantic but am finding Beevor difficult to put down.

Assessment so far, if you intend to read only one book on the subject, you probably would be best served going with The Battle for Spain.
Old 09-05-11, 05:37 PM   #22
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Thanks, I think I'll give Beevor's book a try then . I like a vivid written history book, as long as it sticks to the facts. Some writers just manage to keep the right balance!
Old 09-06-11, 07:02 AM   #23
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Thanks, I think I'll give Beevor's book a try then . I like a vivid written history book, as long as it sticks to the facts. Some writers just manage to keep the right balance!

Me too, thanks all for your input