Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-19, 03:55 AM   #46
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

https://russianmilitaryanalysis.word...rand-strategy/
May be of interest in the context of alleged Russian participation in the whole Venezuela crisis.
Old 05-01-19, 11:30 AM   #47
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

In the news at 4, I heard the minister of foreign affairs in USA saying USA are prepared to intervene military in Venezuela if needed.

If my memory doesn't play tricks on me, I seem to remember I made a thread about that.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 01:12 PM   #48
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Well that would be music to our ears.
Old 05-01-19, 04:13 PM   #49
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I do believe it was the Venezuelan National Assembly, not the U.S., which declared Guaido president. The list of countries supporting that decision continues to grow. If Russia wants to spend the resources to support Maduro, go for it. But I think it would be a losing battle to do so.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 04:23 PM   #50
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I do believe it was the Venezuelan National Assembly, not the U.S., which declared Guaido president. The list of countries supporting that decision continues to grow. If Russia wants to spend the resources to support Maduro, go for it. But I think it would be a losing battle to do so.
Well, if you believe that they had the legitimate authority to do so, sure.

The point I was making was that should US be stuck in a local conflict in Venezuela for the next 15 years, should Brazil suddenly be in need for weapons we can sell them, well, you know how we would feel about it.

A little nudge here and there with advisors, a little buisness or two not being bothered by the authorities for working there for profit can't really harm us.
Old 05-01-19, 04:56 PM   #51
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I think I have mentioned it before.

If I was Maduro I would ask Mr. Putin to send some "Military advisor" to his country.

I would be a little nervous about the possibility USA intervene my country, ´cause I know my own military would be no match them.

By inviting Russian military, the chance of an intervention of my country would be low.

I know my imagination have run wild.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 05:22 PM   #52
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

We have already sent some inspection teams to accertain what is actually happening with his forces, in addition to routine stuff related to their previous arms purchases.

I doubt there would be any major operation.
Old 05-01-19, 06:38 PM   #53
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
We have already sent some inspection teams to accertain what is actually happening with his forces
The sad part of this new liberal democrat cold war brought on by the fact that Russia is predominately "old white men who aren't communist anymore" is probably that if the USA had one last chance at really successful nation and ally building, helping Russia out some was probably it.

A strong Russian Republic, would have been a nice ally to have. Emphasis on "Republic".
Old 05-01-19, 06:40 PM   #54
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Considering we and others in the global community recognize the Venezuelan National Assembly constitutional authority I think we're prepared to go the distance. Not wanting to seem as though I under estimate Russian will and perseverance as it does very good job at throwing its weight around in its own geopolitical sphere. Contrary to what our own media has been spewing since 2016 Russia just isn't the world power it once was and it really can't afford to start a proxy war in my back yard.

Last edited by Rockstar; 05-01-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 07:00 PM   #55
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Your backyards in Venezuela? Damn, that must make gardening a bit of a bitch...

<O>
Old 05-01-19, 07:49 PM   #56
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The volume and quality of the Russian military engagement in Venezuela varies widely, according to the media you listen to. It ranges rom "just some advisors" to "several thousand combat troops." Between these two descriptions, everything seems possible to be the truth.

Russia hardly plans to fight a hard war over there, but it wants to keep a foot in the door and wants to stir unrest and destabilization - right because it is the US backyard. Being an itching point that the US cannot scratch - thats what it is about. Also, Russia has made quite some financial investments in Venezuela.

Anyway, I do not care for their interests - the economic dilettante Maduro has completed the task begun by the other dilettante Chavez - to ruin the country completely and annihilate what was left of its economy. He must be replaced, in any way, and whether Putin likes that or not, must not matter. Problem is that the military leadership benefits directly from supporting the Maduro regime, the generals are quite corrupt and private financial interests are what rules their loyalty. The US is not so much liked in South America, it is probably best advise to recommend self moderation else relations to other SA countries may worsten as well. A military campaign by the US I would only consider if Russia goes into that direction as well - but then in overwhelming strength and decisevely. I dont think anyone wants that - not in Washington, and not in Moscow.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-01-19 at 08:00 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 05:17 AM   #57
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Well, Iraq wasn't a proxy war between Russia and USA yet USA got stuck there for a long time. And I doubt that Lybia style scenario is preferable either.

As to our participation - apart from inspection teams (so that we know what is actually happening there, taking the locals word at face value sounds like a bad idea) and the teams on the old procurement contracts (ie when they got their SAMs they got a training team to go with them) we would probably turn a blind eye to any enterprising private entities going there as long as they do not go against Russian interests.
The later group could be quite numerous depending on how much money Maduro can gather.
Old 05-02-19, 08:42 AM   #58
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I've heard a plane was waiting on the tarmac ready to fly Maduro out. The delay I think is Russia scrambling to lawyer up and legally protect their financial investments. But rumors of a proxy war with Russian weapons, surface to air missiles and advisors? Highly highly doubtful like I said Russia isn't stupid. A relatively stable Venezuelan government and economy is the solution that benefits all parties and most importantly Venezuelans. That's the direction it needs to go and will go.

Maduro drove the Venezuelan economy into the dirt rigged an election and the National Assembly voted and said adios Maduro Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye

Last edited by Rockstar; 05-02-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 09:24 AM   #59
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
The sad part of this new liberal democrat cold war brought on by the fact that Russia is predominately "old white men who aren't communist anymore" is probably that if the USA had one last chance at really successful nation and ally building, helping Russia out some was probably it.

A strong Russian Republic, would have been a nice ally to have. Emphasis on "Republic".
It's just a chess game to Russia (spelled Putin)

Venezuela
US Politics
Syrian conflict
Africa
Artic
Bombers flying close to San Francisco
Fighter jets buzzing USN ships
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 10:20 AM   #60
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I've heard a plane was waiting on the tarmac ready to fly Maduro out.
And you are sure that this was not a PSYOP move to undermine Maduro's efforts?
Quote:
But rumors of a proxy war with Russian weapons, surface to air missiles and advisors? Highly highly doubtful like I said Russia isn't stupid
Those are already there, we have sold plenty of weapons there.

Tags
venezuela