SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-10-13, 09:29 AM   #1
InvisibleDeath
Loader

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Has anyone faced this change with UPlay?

Okay -- I bought SH5 on Steam and have been heavily playing on that. But I wanted German voices and fixes to the exe, so I happily ran out and bought the downloadable version of Gold, removed my Steam version, and installed the standalone version. I uninstalled UPlay, deleted all bread crumbs, and reinstalled UPlay.

But UPlay won't let me use my local copy no matter what I do. I double click SH5.exe, I searched the registry and did everything short of driving to the UPlay servers and hacking my account.

So how do I make UPlay recognize my new copy? Am I forced to create a new UPlay account with a different email address to run this now?
InvisibleDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 10:37 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleDeath View Post
UPlay account with a different email address to run this now?
I think so, or alternatively patch the non-Steam version to v 1.2 (perferably manually, don't trust the auto-updater), save the v 1.2 exe and scrap the rest (but you might also want to keep the extra content of the Gold Edition, for what it is worth), reinstall the Steam version, replace its executable with the one previously saved, and log in Uplay using the old (Steam) username/password
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 02:21 PM   #3
Oleander
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I think so, or alternatively patch the non-Steam version to v 1.2 (perferably manually, don't trust the auto-updater), save the v 1.2 exe and scrap the rest (but you might also want to keep the extra content of the Gold Edition, for what it is worth), reinstall the Steam version, replace its executable with the one previously saved, and log in Uplay using the old (Steam) username/password
I can confirm this, replacing the Steam exe with the DVD one enables the game to be patched. Just remember to launch from the new exe to avoid CTD.

BTW if you wanted German voices you can get them here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=23
Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 03:37 PM   #4
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default also

I'm running Win 7 and found that I could not run my game unless I did it as an administrator.
Old 10-10-13, 07:10 PM   #5
InvisibleDeath
Loader

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Thanks I will definitely give that a shot. Both versions are SH5 Gold so nothing to keep. And I'll get to manual update now. I shall cross my fingers and hope that I can now patch the exe while under Steam. And if this works....hell it was worth $9 to do it. Then poeple can stop telling me to install reality patches in my stories.
InvisibleDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 07:26 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Thanks I will definitely give that a shot. Both versions are SH5 Gold so nothing to keep. And I'll get to manual update now. I shall cross my fingers and hope that I can now patch the exe while under Steam.
IIRC, the manual patcher must be in the same folder as SH5.exe, so there should be little space for it gettig confused between the two installations. In any case, after patching you can check if everything went well by moving the cursor on top of the excutable, and waiting for its tooltip to pop up; if it says "file version - 1.2.0.0", you are okay to go on.

Quote:
And if this works....hell it was worth $9 to do it. Then poeple can stop telling me to install reality patches in my stories.
Who said that?!
oh, wait, it was me
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 04:47 AM   #7
lodebeard
Gunner

Downloads: 84

I just had this problem. My solution was to go into the options in uplay, choose 'activate product', and then enter the activation code that came with my DVD. I'm not sure if the downloadable one has an activation code or not, but I thought I'd chime it in anyway.
lodebeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uplay