SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-18, 07:28 AM   #1
Chris K
Gunner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Wallet lost decades ago in France finally returned to soldier's family in New Hampshi

Quote:
Sharon Moore had heard the stories about her father getting his duffel bag stolen on his way back from the Korean War. The New Hampshire woman never expected to see any of the contents.

In July, Moore received a Facebook friend request from a stranger in France. She deleted it. But, the person responded with a Facebook message asking for help in finding the owner of a lost wallet. Attached were several black-and-white pictures, including one of her mother as a young woman, and another of her aunt, as well as a tattered Social Security card and Massachusetts driver's license.

"I immediately saw my dad's driver's license and my mother's photo. I knew it was my dad's wallet," Moore said of her father, Robert McCusker, who died a day before her 20th birthday in 1983. "I couldn't believe it. Really, my dad's wallet after all these years? It was just weird."
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...825-story.html

Stunning history.
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 07:50 AM   #2
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Great story. My dad was in the Korean War
Old 08-29-18, 05:49 AM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

On the subject of lost personal wartime documents, in the 1960s my dad loaned out a number of his old maps on which he'd recorded his progress through NW Europe in the final part of WW2. He was (as I've detailed elsewhere) in the 6Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers and took part in the 53rd Div push through the Low Countries and Reichswald forest (Operation 'Veritable').

He never got those maps back... they were apparently lost by the school where they'd been shown as part of a project. I don't know whether they were contemporary 1940s maps or 1950s/60s, but we've always regretted their loss and wondered where they might be now