SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-15, 12:20 PM   #1
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Enough Schooners already! now we come to ...Ketches! where the shorter mast is to the rearTHis one actually motors past me and shoots real cannon. The Hawaiian Chieftain off Suausalito CA (just so ya'll can "learn the ropes" (Hey those are 'lines' there's no ropes on a sailing ship or so I'm reminded often)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 11:59 AM   #2
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Enough Schooners already! now we come to ...Ketches!
The Hawaiin chieftain is a beautiful ship. Her lines are gorgeous, but I still prefer the Niagara and the Pride of Baltimore 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I went on board the USS Constellation back in 1982 on a visit to the US Baltimore Harbour, as I recall)

I posted this pic before of the replica Endeavour on The Haven, leaving Boston to sail out into The Wash here in East Anglia.
Another great ship. The replicas are the most detailed, and IMO, the best. Just me though

Last edited by Jimbuna; 11-28-15 at 09:21 AM.
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 12:57 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I kinda lean towards AK's mindset here. While the grand square rigs of yore are majestic, they're slow and clunky. The "modern" sailing yacht is the way to go:

The J boat: (from the 1920's, but in the grand scheme of things, modern):

VOR 65 One design, for the volvo ocean race. Races around the globe, these boats were so perfectly matched that even after circling the globe, the winning margin was only a few minutes:

Then there's the AC72, the first big (and probably the last for a while) foiling racing cat, used in the last America's cup, which was a witness to the greatest comeback ever in sport. These things would do 50mph+, barely touching the water, with a "sail" the size of a 737 wing:

But then there's the tiny, the Moth class. Reportedly one of the hardest boats (small enough it doesn't qualify as a ship anymore) to handle. Pictures don't do these justice, look some up on youtube:

Last edited by Gargamel; 11-29-15 at 01:43 PM.
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 01:03 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Then there's this hideous thing, the White Pearl. Reportedly to be the largest sailing vessel ever:

Just recently launched, it's still under going sea trials, so I'm having difficulty finding pictures of it under sail, but it's still hideous.

But if the owner would happen to gift me one, I'd hardly say no.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 01:28 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon14

^You're 17 days behind ME BBYhttp://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2357346#post2357346 I want one too! Sometimes $8 million hi-tech things get a little out of hand...besides falling through hatches

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 11-30-15, 01:51 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Adrenaline required BBY

"Imagine taking your Camaro, and taking the 300-horsepower motor out and putting a 3,000-horsepower motor in the same car," "That’s what these guys do every day." At 43 knots, the catamaran can sail its entire 72-foot length in a single second — nearly four times faster than the 2007 class. The massive sail generates 7 tons of force, lifting the hull out of the water until the boat’s only connection to the water is a thin hydrofoil known as a daggerboard. Sailors on the Oracle crew say the experience of being on an AC72 as it flies up out of the water is exhilarating.

Old 11-30-15, 02:55 PM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Old 11-30-15, 03:05 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

A friend of mine is part owner of Island Windjammer. He was also an enginemen on the USS Diablo.

This is one of the vessels:

Old 11-30-15, 08:34 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Enough Schooners already! now we come to ...Ketches! where the shorter mast is to the rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post

^Nice Ketch!this one's been drivin' me nuts: a 1979 44' German Frer design classic ketch w/2 staterooms; huge sail inventory; Perkins engine. Wife says if I buy it I'll have to live on it! Yes dear!

Old 12-01-15, 01:33 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Sailing is a contact sport!

HOW to fall through a hatchway With plenty of opportunity! <PS: that's how it's supposed to look (real canvas)IMHO!