SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-15, 03:50 PM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default The Things We Do For Realism

We all tend to have our own ideas of what makes Silent Hunter III 'realistic', all falling short of actually building a time machine and going back to join the Kriegsmarine in 1938.

For some of us, that includes making mods for the community (shout out to you guys for your time and effort, especially the boys over at GWX and NYGM )

For me, a 'hardcore' captain by the results of the quiz nearly everyone has taken, that includes cranking up the realism, leaving nothing but the map contacts (c'mon, the captain would get constant updates anyway), external and ships cameras on (for the eye candy), using the crew transfer feature provided in SH3 Commander as well as the sabotage/malfunction possibility, and putting in numerous mods along with GWX such as the no uniforms, lifeboat&debris, Q-ships, and more (Also, isn't there one where you have to keep an eye on food/water supply as well?)

So, that said, what do you chaps do for realism?

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 05:27 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I go to my assigned grid and I stay there. If I haven't seen an enemy ship after one week on station I roll a 6-sided die. On a roll of 6 BdU has okayed my request to move to another grid. I then roll again to get the direction of the move and roll a third time: 1-3 means I move one square in that direction, 4-6 it's two squares. If the initial roll was anything other than 6 I spend another week in that grid, and roll again. This time I can move on a 5-6. After another week it's 4-6.

This is of course at the beginning of the war. When I get some tonnage under my belt I'll allow myself more leeway. Of course this means I occasionally have an empty patrol. I've been playing subsims for almost thirty years. I can live with that.
Old 06-16-15, 09:32 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I sit in a bath tub but do not wash for three months!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 09:45 PM   #4
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

If you turn off map contacts, it really changes the game. You will find that instead of playing the game from the map screen, you will start playing it from the bridge or the periscope. Additionally, you will develop a much keener sense of angular perception relative to your boat. Unless you have time to ID ships and do a good fixed-wire speed check, you will also find yourself guessing at speeds a lot more.

I think these qualities were paramount in real uboat commanders' minds.

Everyone should try at least a patrol with no map contacts.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 10:00 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Mail maker, do you mean map contacts on the attack map? I use radio contacts on the nav map. That's it. I use weapons officer for id for merchant fleet mod.

DISCORD
Old 06-17-15, 01:30 AM   #6
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
If you turn off map contacts, it really changes the game. You will find that instead of playing the game from the map screen, you will start playing it from the bridge or the periscope. Additionally, you will develop a much keener sense of angular perception relative to your boat. Unless you have time to ID ships and do a good fixed-wire speed check, you will also find yourself guessing at speeds a lot more.

Steve
Absolutely - the first time I played at 100% I was genuinely scared! It's a totally different game and kept me off the map-screen.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 07:20 AM   #7
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:

Steve
Yes, it is a very good idea, i should try that. But first i have to learn how to calculate a torpedo course !
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 08:51 AM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
If you turn off map contacts, it really changes the game.
I use Observer's Assisted Plotting Mod. You leave Map Contacts turned on, but nothing appears on the screen unless you pass the cursor over it, then it only shows up as "Unknown". Once the ship is identified you can click on it and it will show up correctly.

I suck at math, so I use WE Assistance to do the plotting for me. I used to feel guilty about this, but now with H.sie's mod he sometimes gets it wrong and always gives general rather than specific numbers.

I also use H.sie's Hull Integrity mod, which gives generalities as well. It's color-coded to give a rough idea of how well the pressure hull is doing, but nothing specific.
Old 06-17-15, 11:34 AM   #9
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I go to my assigned grid and I stay there. If I haven't seen an enemy ship after one week on station I roll a 6-sided die. On a roll of 6 BdU has okayed my request to move to another grid. I then roll again to get the direction of the move and roll a third time: 1-3 means I move one square in that direction, 4-6 it's two squares. If the initial roll was anything other than 6 I spend another week in that grid, and roll again. This time I can move on a 5-6. After another week it's 4-6.

This is of course at the beginning of the war. When I get some tonnage under my belt I'll allow myself more leeway. Of course this means I occasionally have an empty patrol. I've been playing subsims for almost thirty years. I can live with that.
That sounds like something to try. I have a bag of dice left over from my RPG days, so I have multiple ways of making random rolls. That said, I usually just go rogue. Shut the radio off, so to speak, and do whatever I feel like. I leave unlimited fuel on (I want fun and running out of gas is not), and then I can lay in a course to wherever. Maybe I sink a lot of lone merchants along the way, maybe I find a convoy (or two), maybe I raid a harbour. If I didn't use the exterior cams, though, then there is *no* way I would attempt a harbour raid. I use ext view to avoid mines and nets, I wouldn't even think of it otherwise. I will come back with my tonnage and/or aircraft kills and report the business at that time. Or I will not come back at all, and the Kriegsmarine/BdU will be spared the embarrassment of my failure, so, no harm there. I hate how much I love this game.
Old 06-17-15, 01:22 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

To be honest, I love earning medals in games. Call that the old high score pac man days where I love to see my progress. So I have been collecting some of the medals we can earn in the game so I can have a physical tangible item to be proud of. These are very good replicas but the uboat war badge is actually authentic! I love this piece. I even have the wound badge. I place them in the display case as I earn them. That's my realism.

P. S. The front clasp is on the way!

DISCORD

Last edited by bstanko6; 04-07-16 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-17-15, 02:10 PM   #11
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Very nice! I am jelly...
Old 06-18-15, 03:02 PM   #12
Kip Chiakopf
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 259

Quote:

Steve
I'm going to try that on my next patrol.
Kip Chiakopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-15, 04:11 PM   #13
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Default How's this for realism?

I'm going to try one helluva a challenge this next time around. With a few exceptions as needed, I will do an entire patrol with all of the HUD turned off. I can Understand my German well enough to get by with it on, but I think it will make the game as realistic as possible. I'm switching on all of those boxes for realism, and am expecting to come back from this empty-handed, as it is still early in the war. I will post regular updates.

Instances for using the HUD: Turn on for those silent reports, such as the watch officer's ' Range to Nearest Contact', and the Navigator's different reports. Turn 'em off when I'm done.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 09:22 AM   #14
Niedowidek
Bosun

Downloads: 118

I use no map contacts update. I even erased my sub marker from map (Hide my sub mod) and later manually erased marker of sunk ship (as this revealed my position too). I navigate using tools avalaible in SH, drawing lines and circles, with TC 4 to 16, adjusting course from time to time. When night sky is clear I click right mouse button on map to check my position because I think my navigator should be able to fix boat's position using stars. I saw that someone wrote lately about using the same method.

I write patrol log, similarly to the ones published in forum by Sailor Steve (kudos!). Well, mine are quite boring most of the time. "AN2646 | Wind X m/s NW. Course XXX. Speed Y." and so on ;-)

I have decided on Hitman's GUI. While it has no targeting circle around scope present in OLC's GUI/MaGUI, the description provided by Hitman and the fact IIRC that he studied real optics preserved in museums as well as his brief historical info on targeting made by real kaleuns, have convinced me to use it.

I use external camera to check my torpedoes' trails as I'm still learning to target manually. But I don't use ext camera to gather any information that kaleun should not have. I don't use it to plot my fire solution, nor to look at depth charging destroyers. Camera helps a lot in learning e.g. I see that my eel went a bit behind the stern or right under keel but didn't exploded, and I may correct my targeting next time.
Old 06-19-15, 09:59 AM   #15
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

i play with no map contacts and also with Real navigation this one that's the true fun of playing sh3 no map contact no way points plotting tools using only the protractor to see which heading i must go and all is set to realism 100%
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote