SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-06, 02:54 PM   #1
Rcsubs
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Who has a working Pacific Aces installation??

Hello All,

Does anyone have a working installation of Pacific Aces and if so could you tell me what mods you installed and in what order?

I have tried to install the game mod following the instructions in the game mod and instructions given to me by other members and nothing has worked so far. If I follow the instructions in the mods I have a game where the only thing that is offered to me is the option to play the missions installed by the mods, I can not start or play any campaigns and from what I understand there should be an option to start a career which is not offered any where at all, plus if I follow the installation instructions the periscope will not work...
So if you have a working installation could you also tell me what options you have in the mod for playing the game?????

Thank you for your time and help,
Darrell

Last edited by Rcsubs; 09-23-06 at 03:14 PM.
Rcsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 11:55 AM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

I think the only mods I have are the kollmorgen periscope and rain mod, and the mod that expands the boat names. To start a new career you have to generate it in one place, then start it in another, if that makes sense. It's been a few months since I've played PA so I don't remember exactly. Generate it. Then go to 'Play Campaign' mode, and choose a name then start. This will be the campaign you just generated.

To use the periscope are you clicking the small red thing in the lower right corner of the periscope station screen? Are you trying to use the kollmorgen 'scope?

Last edited by Threadfin; 09-28-06 at 11:59 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 01:13 AM   #3
Rcsubs
Seaman

Hi Threadfin,

I recently removed my ATI Radion Pro 256mb card which has given me fits ever since I installed the thing, I contacted ATI's tech dept. and to tell you the truth those people were useless, they kept suggesting that i do the same thing over again and again. I recently installed one of their old drivers and the card was stable for a while then started screwing my system up again.
So I installed a Nvida GeForce 6600 256mb DDR 3D Fuzion and was able to play for a number of hours without any problems at all.

By the way I did a clean install of SHII plus the 1.1 Patch, then when I installed the PA RC4 file I only installed the rain option and then when I installed the PA 1.1 patch I only installed the weather mod, then the Vic fireball/oil slick and then the PA Sound patch. It took me a few tries using the process of elemination to find what would and what would not work. I did all of this before I replaced the graphics card, now I am wondering if I need to do another complete clean install and select all of the oprions in the PA RC4 & PA1.1 patch to see if everything works or do I need to go thru the process of elemination again....................

By the way I have done some editing on the files in the game and checking the results, I am interested in game programming/design and I figure this is a good way to get my feet wet.

Any suggestions?
Darrell
Old 09-29-06, 11:07 AM   #4
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Are you having any problems related to graphics now? Changing cards shouldn't mean you need to reinstall. FWIW, I'm using an ATI card with no problems.

'Screwing up the system' can mean alot of things.
Old 09-30-06, 01:22 AM   #5
Rcsubs
Seaman

Hi Threadfin,

No I am not having any problem with graphics anymore, the GeForce card seems to have fixed that.
As for screwing up my computer, there were times when I had the ati card installed that I would be playing a game or even on the web the screen would freeze up and I could not do anything, then the monitor would refresh and the graphics settings would be changed by the ati recover program and want to send in an error report which I did. ATI never responded with any suggestions as to a fix, I had to visit their website and submit aticket asking for help. Their answer for help was a standard answer, remove the ATI drivers and any entries relating to any ati software, drivers and so on and then reinstall the drivers that you just removed after shuting down any virus software and any other programming that was not needed for the install, I followed their instructions for the removal and installation and I got the same results, the last time the graphics were reset by the ati recover system the settings were at 800 x 600. Plus everytime I checked the ati website they had my tickets marked as resolved and the problem still exsisted, I supplied enough error reports to write a book.
I have not checked but I think the ati card is still under their warranty, gee maybe I should check that out???????????????
There were a few times that I had to reboot my computer to get past the frozen screen....................................
The ATI Radeon Pro 256mb card was a bit expensive, I realized that I spent a lot of time checking out the ATI cards in reviews before I bought the card and then I spent a good amount of money for the card, alot of trouble for a card that has caused me nothing but trouble and finding out that ati did not seem to care about the problems created by the card.

Darrell