SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-10-11, 11:51 AM   #1
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default A couple troubling things

Lately, some strange things have been plauging the computer.

Ive swept the hard drive with Avast, Malwarebytes, ect. and they all come up empty.

and yet, my biggest problem is that whenever i shutdown, ittakes 30 seconds to shutdown and all of a sudden it blue screens, something about " C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101011-01.dmp" and it dumps memory to disk and restarts, all instead of simply shutting down.

this has happened before, but that stopped after i installed MSI Afterburner to help spin up the fans on my GPU because it was way overheating.

nothing has changed really. so i dont know why it would start blue screen restartng only at shutdown.

Secondly,i was just wondering, if my fan goes out on my GPU, can i make up for it with a couple extra case fans to keep it cool? or is it just done for...

Lastly, another GPU Question, its been getting up to 72 C on my heaviest game , battlefield bad company two. Im not quite sure if i can sneak in another fan into my incredibly small case (just BARELY fit the gpu in the first place), so do you think i should cave in and get a new case with a couple extra fans? or stick it outt at 72 (max)

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 12:58 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

72C is not so bad for a GPU, plenty of them can run up to 90C stock, though seeing temps like that would definitely have me sweating. 75-80 wasn't too uncommon for my old 8800, on full load. Doubt any number of case fans can make up for a GPU-fan that has died, not for a card that is not designed to be passively cooled at any rate.

As for the BSODs, best guess is that the HD is on its way out, but it's really impossible to tell without any decent info.

Get a gaming case. I started off with a cramped case as well, since moved on to something decent. Knocked quite a bit off of temps all around.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 03:40 PM   #3
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

thanks Arclight!

I thought it might be the HDD too. I hope it doesnt quit on me with all this data onboard. I cant afford a new case, fans, AND an HDD. Just have to hope this was all well built, which is a pretty big maybe it seems.

But if the Fan on the GPU Does go out, external fans cant cope?

My computer needs a serious overhaul :/

RAM is ok, 4 gb is enough, but i could do better with the 1.8 ghz quad core, and the HDD and case.

Hopefully its not the HDD causing BSODs and hopefully i can find a case $50-$80 with some decent cooling already included...

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
Old 10-10-11, 04:06 PM   #4
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

Dust it!

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 04:08 PM   #5
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diopos View Post
Dust it!

did that 2 weeks ago. wasnt very much dust in the first place tbh

- James Madison
Old 10-10-11, 04:25 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

As Arclight said you can't make up for the GPU fan unless you can point one directly on the GPU heat sink, try running with the side cover off the case and a standard room fan blowing into it, that will at least sort out the heating problem for now!
Can you get a screen shot of the task manager and post it, might give an idea of possible apps/virus that might be causing this?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 05:35 PM   #7
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Check your event logs, not everything (initially) flashes an error message and there may have been something over time which can be identified.

And get a bigger case, but I wouldn't be unhappy to see my GPU hitting 72C, it gets up to about that on occasion but I've still to hear the fan scream!
Old 10-10-11, 11:38 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

When it BSOD's, look for other info.

2 things you want to find - the first is the file or device problem that caused the bsod (something like: IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL) - this will tell you if its HW or SW. If it points to a file, you know its sftw.

Second thing is to look in the top left - there is an error code there. Grab it - and google it. Might tel you a lot.

The other thing you can do is view the dump file (*.dmp) and see what it tells you. It will point out the resources (hw and sw) in use at the time of the bsod.

Edit - if you want - shoot me a pm and I can provide an email address for you to send the dump file to if you want me to look at it for ya.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:37 AM   #9
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
But if the Fan on the GPU Does go out, external fans cant cope?
Have a look at Arctic Coolers for replacement. Way better than original coolers and rather cheap...

What GPU do you have?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 05:43 PM   #10
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

@Haplo Yes, it was an IRQ not less or equal error message. ive been told that its most likely HDD

@Jan i have a GTS 450 Superclocked Fermi
I bought this exact card http://www.compusa.com/applications/...890&CatId=3669

If this one breaks im looking into GTX 550 and GTX 560s. 570s are incredible but a little pricey. But it wont break, because ill smack it so hard itll come back to life .

- James Madison

Last edited by CaptainMattJ.; 10-11-11 at 06:12 PM.