SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-23, 12:32 AM   #2776
SlySkydiver
Swabbie

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

These look beautiful! The interiors really do looked lived in. The hammock especially sold me. I'm sure I don't even need to tell you how excited I am just from looking at these videos. Honestly from when I first found this mod to now it's been just looking better and better.
SlySkydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 08:29 AM   #2777
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

That’s GORGEOUS!! I really have no other words. Beside of all, I really love these new environment filters and the sea color, it seems like an art work; so nice

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 10:23 AM   #2778
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Thanks everyone!!!! But just want to clarify - the videos are Tomi's work - not mine. The rooms in the videos will not be in the mod because he never released them, and I do not have permission even if he did - they were just posted as an example that helps me, as a beginner at interior modeling....again, that is NOT my work.

Early this morning I continued work on the torpedo room and will post more progress very soon ..... next step is to work on the floor, various steel beams, pumps, compressors, and crew bunks. I also want to conduct some experimentation with animated "dummy" crew, who will not be linked to any crew slots but who will perform simple tasks in the background - working with wrenches, loading torpedoes, etc. I can give them better-looking bodies and uniforms than the standard SH4 crew. I think I have a way to get them to change behavior based on if the sub is at battlestations or not....more news soon.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-23, 02:21 PM   #2779
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Had a pretty productive evening doing mundane but necessary interior work.

Created a whole bunch of cables/electrical wires facing in random directions - that way the sub interiors will have a more cluttered feel. Also began work on miscellaneous control panels/electrical boxes and boxes with vents, which I have seen in some subs. Also did research on the UB-110 photographs as well as Tomi 99's beautiful work....I really hope he comes back to subsim and releases it one day.

Early this morning I began work on the enlisted men's beds - never thought I would ever research U-Boat mattress springs! But everything is going nicely, there will be a pause as I take a flight for the American Thanksgiving holiday in a few days ,and I will not have access to a PC. But I will use my typical strategy of working on text-based files, radio messages, etc on my laptop while i am away. When I return I will take time off Christmas for another binge of modeling work!
Old 11-09-23, 06:26 AM   #2780
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Beautiful videos! You guys are going way indepth! Question about the diesels, I took diesel mechanics in tech school a long long time ago, I can't figure out what the middle rocker arm is for?
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-23, 08:36 PM   #2781
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Beautiful videos! You guys are going way indepth! Question about the diesels, I took diesel mechanics in tech school a long long time ago, I can't figure out what the middle rocker arm is for?
Not sure; my old man is a trucker so maybe he knows - I think the stages of diesel propulsion are intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust, so it may have to do with one of those things.... Again, not 100% sure; I might ask dad!!

I am, again, pleasantly surprised at how interior modeling has been - I was afraid that it would be a huge time sink but things have been going great - considering I am just one week into the process.

To save time all medium sized U-Boats will use the UB-III style interior, since we have so many excellent photographs of it.... for minor details that aren't known, I will use Type VII and Type IX parts. But over all I am also happy with how much source material I have. In addition to WWI photographs, pictures from the "Das Boot" set and U-505 have been a great guide.

I plan to have more posts with screenshots very soon - also, elcid has kindly volunteered to transfer the radio messages I spent months developing!! More news coming soon.

A mix of WWI and WWII interior images below:

Old 11-10-23, 09:57 PM   #2782
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Forward torpedo room coming along .... as usual, lots of things to correct and not everything is in its proper place, but getting there. More pipes, valves, machinery, crew lockers, beds, and other stuff.

About four days' worth of modeling, so things are pretty good. Mattresses on one side have been moved to accommodate a spare torpedo - you can see how uncomfortable it was until the crew had fired off some of their "eels". You'll remember this was discussed in "Das Boot".

Old 11-12-23, 03:45 AM   #2783
1Patriotofmany
Commander

I'm also a trucker and went to tech school for diesel mechanics while in high school. Not sure; my old man is a trucker so maybe he knows - I think the stages of diesel propulsion are intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust, so it may have to do with one of those things.... Again, not 100% sure; I might ask dad!! That's accomplished by the two outer rocker arms.
Old 11-12-23, 04:55 AM   #2784
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Quote:
I'm also a trucker and went to tech school for diesel mechanics while in high school. Not sure; my old man is a trucker so maybe he knows - I think the stages of diesel propulsion are intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust, so it may have to do with one of those things.... Again, not 100% sure; I might ask dad!! That's accomplished by the two outer rocker arms.

Is the 3rd rocker like the middle one similar to the one in this video?

Could it the fuel injector? I always thought that was, but i'm not 100% sure.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 03:54 AM   #2785
1Patriotofmany
Commander

On that train one, It looks like all three are for valves, Two are either exhaust or intake and the middle the opposite. On the Uboat one it's not a full length rocker like that train one. Got me stumped.
Old 11-13-23, 05:16 AM   #2786
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
On that train one, It looks like all three are for valves, Two are either exhaust or intake and the middle the opposite. On the Uboat one it's not a full length rocker like that train one. Got me stumped.

I see. I always thought that could be the injector. I will try to look if there any info on a few books of diesel engines (maritime and/or U-boats ones) that I have.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-23, 09:28 PM   #2787
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Good news, the modeling of the torpedo room has gone so well that I will be proceeding with new rooms soon. I removed the torpedo tubes from the model in the screenshots and added even more details to them...

Now they have a very large number of pipes, valves, and gauges. Many of the boxes and rods alongside the TT's were apparently for guidance equipment. The German navy was one of the first (maybe the first) to introduce torpedoes with changeable gyro angles.

Next will be Petty Officer's quarters and Engine Rooms .... one Germaniawerft and one MAN.

MAN engines on U-Boats were initially preferred to Germaniawerft engines. Germaniawerft diesels (used on U-31 and her sisters) had a bad reputation. At first, Germaniawerft engines were so bad that submarines using them failed to reach their top speed. The U-31 Class typically had a realistic top speed of only 13 knots until about 1915. This made it very difficult to chase down ocean liners, cruisers, and other fast ships.

Eventually, however, the teething problems were resolved and Germaniawerft submarines went on to achieve great success - in fact, U-35 of the U-31 class finished WWI as the top scoring submarine in the world, with over 500,000 tons sunk.

MAN still exists over 100 years later BTW! My cousin used to drive a nice 12-wheel MAN dump truck .... guess I will get another look at a MAN diesel engine as I finish this project.

No 3d modding during Thanksgiving but I will work on radio messages and other items using my laptop!

Old 11-18-23, 02:16 AM   #2788
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
I'd say its an actuator for the injector.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 07:15 AM   #2789
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

good work with the interiors!
vickers03 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 03:36 PM   #2790
juliantheblaze22
Swabbie

Downloads: 39
Default how much is left before an early acess release

Been following this mod for along time im very excited, i also you guys have made alot of progress. Is their any estimate on a test version yet?
juliantheblaze22 is offline   Reply With Quote