SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-17, 08:05 PM   #1996
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Was doing mostly non-3d modeling recently, hence little updating to the model... but here's actual decking for the submarine - not "painted on" fake grooves made with the tga or dds texture.

Plus, screens from the prize warfare system....I always knew this could be done in theory with SH3/4's particle system; with a little tweaking I got these screens to work! Now you can approach ships and sink them (or spare them) based on what is carried. It is also useful for random encounters that may earn the player points:

-Find an enemy codebook on a derelict merchant
-Rescue a friendly sailor from his wrecked ship
-Pick up an enemy Merchant Captain, Sailor, etc and earn renown based on the captive's value.

Not exactly rocket science to figure out which ship to sink (do you guys feel it's self explanatory enough)? I think it's not bad...don't want to get into the intricacies of different levels of contraband at different stages in the war; I am going for a good balance here.

I have 30 trade goods that can be mixed and matched (via the particle system) to make up many different merchant/tanker/bulker cargoes, for random encounters. These will be distributed on the campaign's trade routes in game.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 08:42 PM   #1997
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

oh my gawd, i should pay more attention to what's going on on other subsections of the forum I think

This indeed sounds more like an entire new game than a humble mod, my friend!
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 07:24 AM   #1998
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

IMPRESSIVE

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 03:19 AM   #1999
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Where WOK was just a WWI set sub game, this mod is turning out to be more and more a WWI complete submarine simulation than a simple SH3/SH4 mod !

Looking good !

Keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 05:54 AM   #2000
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

mighty nice work! really looking forward to give it a try
Old 02-09-17, 11:14 AM   #2001
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Great work so far! Still hoping for a cruiser campaign lol.

I have some questions though.

1. I saw a couple pages ago you were thinking of going back to using SH3 as the game for the mod or are you making a mod for both SH3 and SH4?

2. With your prize rules system, how exactly does one stop the enemy ship in order to inspect it? Will the "dialogue" with the stopped ship's captain always be the same or several different responses?

3. Are you thinking of adding blimps and airships to the mod? I've seen in another mod (I think GWX) they had added American blimps.

4. With this ability to stop ships and stuff would you be able to add more abilities with the radio, such as declaring a SOS for a shipwrecked crew gaining you a small amount of positive renown; or in the event of severe damage surrender or scuttle your sub?

Anyway, keep up the great work! Cheers mate!
Old 02-09-17, 02:56 PM   #2002
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post

-Find an enemy codebook on a derelict merchant
-Rescue a friendly sailor from his wrecked ship
-Pick up an enemy Merchant Captain, Sailor, etc and earn renown based on the captive's value.

Now that is seriously impressive

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 02:57 AM   #2003
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
Great work so far! Still hoping for a cruiser campaign lol.

I have some questions though.

1. I saw a couple pages ago you were thinking of going back to using SH3 as the game for the mod or are you making a mod for both SH3 and SH4?

2. With your prize rules system, how exactly does one stop the enemy ship in order to inspect it? Will the "dialogue" with the stopped ship's captain always be the same or several different responses?

3. Are you thinking of adding blimps and airships to the mod? I've seen in another mod (I think GWX) they had added American blimps.

4. With this ability to stop ships and stuff would you be able to add more abilities with the radio, such as declaring a SOS for a shipwrecked crew gaining you a small amount of positive renown; or in the event of severe damage surrender or scuttle your sub?

Anyway, keep up the great work! Cheers mate!
1)The mod will definitely be for SH4. SH3 is a possibility.

2)The system works like this:

-All searchable lone merchants will actually be 2-unit convoys: the visible ship (1) and an invisible dummy unit (2). There will be the option to mark the dummy unit with a crosshairs, etc. visible at close range. (Note that especially by 1917-1918 camoflaged/armed merchants will exist and will refuse to stop, so they can be attacked without warning.)

-When you fire a shot across the visible unit bow, you strike the dummy unit.

-The dummy unit emits a particle linked via BazaFX or Particles.dat. This 2d particle floats on screen as a dialogue box noting what the ship is carrying. In SH3 maximum resolution is 1024 x 1024, and I need at least 512 px to get a decent looking dialogue box. Thus, I can have four cargoes per particle effect. In SH4, maximum resolution is much higher.

-Neutral/non contraband visible ships will emit dialogue boxes showing harmless cargo. British/French/etc will emit dialogue boxes for contraband.

-With 30-something tradegoods and 4-8 cargoes per particle effect, the posibilities are quite incredible. With just 25 particle effects I can create 100 SH3 encounter scenarios.

-Yes, captains will behave differently and display a variety of emotions etc. depending on their allegiance. A German captain will usually be friendly; a British captain not so much. Although I may script in negative German reactions if you do stupid things like inspecting friendly ships outside your own harbor.

I have already scripted many dozens of interactions and different banter between you and Friendly/Neutral/Enemy crews.

-The "shot across the bow" will also initiate various random interactions that can gain or lose you points. In your log, sinking the "Dummy" unit will be noted as "Merchant Inspected" instead of ship sunk.

-You will always get a token amount of renown (maybe 10 pts) for each ship inspection ... Enforcing the blockade helps the war effort, even if you sink nothing.

-You will have the opportunity to confiscate special items, get souvenirs/trophies, and so on when you encounter ships, based on random probability. As I mentioned earlier, the whole system of medal awards/items is being revamped. You will award yourself medals and items based on recommended criteria/what the random dialogue boxes say.

3) Blimps and airships? Watch this thread closely is all I will say

4) You will be able to assist crewmen in the random merchant interactions. Don't know if it is feasible to include sending SOS's. Scuttling/surrender is very unlikely. I may look at the surrender mod for SH3 and ask for permission to incorporate it.
Old 02-15-17, 02:48 PM   #2004
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Yikes, IABL! You're making any mod which came before look like it came from the stone age on cuneiform tablets!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:32 PM   #2005
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Guys I need ideas! I am thinking of the different objects you can win. I am thinking of Cunard China if you sink a Cunard liner, White Star cup if you sink Olympic, British Captain's Webley pistol, American Captain's Colt pistol, you get the idea. Maybe a tier system of awards but nothing too crazy. Plus marriage proposals, etc from girls ( got the idea from Rise of Flight-in that game girls write love letters if you're a flying ace). You will be responsible for awarding yourself after the mission....Do you like that idea? I assume most ppl will have self discipline not to cheat and self award everything at once....By the way works going well on the UBI submarine....With 2 torpedoes and 1 37mm gun it will be a challenge!!
Old 02-16-17, 01:32 PM   #2006
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

I like it IABL. Just another nice touch. I will give it some thought and come up with some ideas.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 07:03 AM   #2007
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A work of art ie: a painting or some gold coins from recovered treasure.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 10:41 AM   #2008
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Perhaps some foreign awards like from Austo-Hungary and the Ottomans?
Old 02-17-17, 02:46 PM   #2009
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Guys I need ideas! I am thinking of the different objects you can win. I am thinking of Cunard China if you sink a Cunard liner, White Star cup if you sink Olympic, British Captain's Webley pistol, American Captain's Colt pistol, you get the idea. Maybe a tier system of awards but nothing too crazy. Plus marriage proposals, etc from girls ( got the idea from Rise of Flight-in that game girls write love letters if you're a flying ace). You will be responsible for awarding yourself after the mission....Do you like that idea? I assume most ppl will have self discipline not to cheat and self award everything at once....By the way works going well on the UBI submarine....With 2 torpedoes and 1 37mm gun it will be a challenge!!
I think by WW2 it was already not in use, but previously you could receive a knighthood or even a nobiliary title for your services.
Old 02-17-17, 05:07 PM   #2010
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

How about a personal letter of commendation from the Kaiser himself or maybe an invite in letter form to visit with him. Maybe an invite for a hunting trip with him or something along those lines. All after achieving a certain amount of tonnage sunk or captured.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote