Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradclark1
Quote:
Originally Posted by August
If they'd have kept the 8 year old strapped inside a straight jacket until he was 18 the accident wouldn't have happened either.

There were two big parental failures here. First, the child was not educated to differentiate between a toy and a real firearm and second, the child was left unsupervised in the presence of a firearm for a considerable length of time.
Yeah, right, and back to the real world? Trigger locks serve a purpose.

Edit: Not against home defence but am for common sense.
I agree. I have two pistols, and both are locked, the revolver has a trigger lock and the .40 semi-auto in its case. I just couldn't live with myself if one of my kids or their friends got hurt in an accident. They have been taught, told, and warned not to screw with the guns unless I am in attendance, but I've heard sometimes children don't always do what they are told. I'm not taking any chances with my kids.

If I need to handgun to protect myself, the combination lock will only slow me down for about 6 seconds. That's cool with me, it gives the home invader a sporting chance. I'm a really good shot (ask the Subsim guys who came to the 2006 Texas Sub Club meeting)

One thing people should keep in mind before opening fire in their home if they think they have a home invader.... when you wake up and you're groggy and disoriented, don't shoot your wife or kids by mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
saw a guy in a ski-mask standing there with my computer in his hands... so I shot him both times and accidentally killed him when one shot went through his neck.
Don't blame you one bit. Where did the other shot hit?
Old 08-15-07, 07:52 PM   #77
Reaves
The Old Man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Very strict gun laws over here.

Mainly only criminals carry them now. Our police force still use revolvers while the crook is likely to have a nice 9mm pistol.
Old 08-15-07, 08:37 PM   #78
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

When it comes to Texas and hand guns....the state is in a league of it's own. From what I understand it is perfectly legal to carry one. At any rate and a true story:

Buddy of mine in NY had a home invader. He clocked him on the head while the intruder was in the house. The intruder was hit hard enough to kill him. He called the police who arrived as requested. Before the investigators arrived, the police told him to put the bat away. The police dragged the intruder to the front porch. They then advise him to fill out the report with the investigators stating the intruder ran out the front door, tripped and hit his head thus killing himself. Case closed. True story!!!
Old 08-15-07, 08:52 PM   #79
bradclark1
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
When it comes to Texas and hand guns....the state is in a league of it's own. From what I understand it is perfectly legal to carry one. At any rate and a true story:
When I lived in Austin (72-73)you could carry a weapon as long as it is visible as is not concealed. You could not take it into a store etc. Things might have changed since then.
bradclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 09:07 PM   #80
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
When it comes to Texas and hand guns....the state is in a league of it's own. From what I understand it is perfectly legal to carry one.....
Not really. You can pretty much carry one in almost every state as long as you have a permit, or they have open carry.

In Washington for instance, you can open carry any time you like.

-S
Old 08-15-07, 11:35 PM   #81
The Avon Lady
Über Mom

Downloads: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
They have been taught, told, and warned not to screw with the guns unless I am in attendance, but I've heard sometimes children don't always do what they are told.
What would I do without the practical advice I come across on game forums!

"Victory will come to us from the wombs of our women."
- Houari Boumedienne, President of Algeria, Speech before the UN, 1974
The Avon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 12:06 AM   #82
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Quote:
If they'd have kept the 8 year old strapped inside a straight jacket until he was 18 the accident wouldn't have happened either.

There were two big parental failures here. First, the child was not educated to differentiate between a toy and a real firearm and second, the child was left unsupervised in the presence of a firearm for a considerable length of time.

Real world? Expecting an adult to supervise children when there are unsecured firearms and ammo laying about? I have nothing against trigger locks and other child proofing methods but nothing substitutes for proper adult supervision.

Personally if I had kids in the house and I deemed it necessary to have real quick access to a self defense weapon I would go with one of those rapid access combination gun safes like this one: http://www.gunvault.com/

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 12:15 AM   #83
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaves
Very strict gun laws over here.

Mainly only criminals carry them now. Our police force still use revolvers while the crook is likely to have a nice 9mm pistol.
My biggest question is how do gun laws stop criminals from aquiring and/or possessing firearms? For is that not the biggest reason for gun laws to exist?
sense of right and wrong."
-Sloan, Section Thirty-One
JALU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 12:31 AM   #84
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
NRA advocate

You all have heard this quote before,["out law guns then only out laws will have guns"] and this makes nonsense??? I sure don't think so.pardon the spam,Cowboys

Last edited by donut; 08-16-07 at 01:16 PM. Reason: []
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 12:44 PM   #85
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Other one hit him in the left arm, just above the elbow. I was aiming for his heart, but age wears on you, it seems.:rotfl:
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 04:17 PM   #86
Happy Times
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
Quote:
Other one hit him in the left arm, just above the elbow. I was aiming for his heart, but age wears on you, it seems.:rotfl:
So you were trying to kill him? Before you said you killed him by accident.
Old 08-16-07, 05:34 PM   #87
Yahoshua
The Old Man

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Real world? Expecting an adult to supervise children when there are unsecured firearms and ammo laying about? I have nothing against trigger locks and other child proofing methods but nothing substitutes for proper adult supervision.

Personally if I had kids in the house and I deemed it necessary to have real quick access to a self defense weapon I would go with one of those rapid access combination gun safes like this one: http://www.gunvault.com/

If you're going to bother getting a safe, DON'T get something that is easily transportable!!

Get one of these:

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_Franklin.lasso

As for keeping your PDW in the safe until you need it, you may as well not have it because that's about as much good as it's going to be to you.

In Law Enforcement there is a procedure called the "21 Foot Rule". The proper application of this rule relies on the officer being called to make a quickdraw from a snapped holster and make two unsighted shots to center mass of the attacker and getting out of the way before the attacker reaches you.

Here's an excerpt from the Force Science Research Center study:

The 21-Foot Rule was formulated by timing subjects beginning their headlong run from a dead stop on a flat surface offering good traction and officers standing stationary on the same plane, sidearm holstered and snapped in. The FSRC has extensively measured action and reaction times under these same conditions. Among other things, the Center has documented the time it takes officers to make 20 different actions that are common in deadly force encounters. Here are some of the relevant findings that the FSRC applied in reevaluating the 21-Foot Rule:

Once he perceives a signal to do so, the AVERAGE officer requires 1.5 seconds to draw from a snapped Level II holster and fire one unsighted round at center mass. Add 1/4 of a second for firing a second round, and another 1/10 of a second for obtaining a flash sight picture for the average officer.

The fastest officer tested required 1.31 seconds to draw from a Level II holster and get off his first unsighted round.The slowest officer tested required 2.25 seconds.

For the average officer to draw and fire an unsighted round from a snapped Level III holster, which is becoming increasingly popular in LE because of its extra security features, takes 1.7 seconds.

Meanwhile, the AVERAGE suspect with an edged weapon raised in the traditional "ice-pick" position can go from a dead stop to level, unobstructed surface offering good traction in 1.5-1.7 seconds.

The "fastest, most skillful, most powerful" subject FSRC tested "easily" covered that distance in 1.27 seconds. Intense rage, high agitation and/or the influence of stimulants may even shorten that time, Lewinski observes.

Even the slowest subject "lumbered" through this distance in just 2.5 seconds.

Bottom line: Within a 21-foot perimeter, most officers dealing with most edged-weapon suspects are at a decided - perhaps fatal - disadvantage if the suspect launches a sudden charge intent on harming them. "Certainly it is not safe to have your gun in your holster at this distance,"

I will be very impressed if you're fast enough to open a safe, load the magazine, rack the slide, and discharge two rounds into your attacker in under a second and a half.

The best solution for you, if you have a PDW, is to have the sidearm on you at ALL times. All other guns stay in the safe.

Yahoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 06:30 PM   #88
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Old 08-16-07, 06:35 PM   #89
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum

Should have found the parents of the harasser before he was born. Murder is legal at that point.
Old 08-16-07, 06:38 PM   #90
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Much better to just send them to prison.....

If you must defend your home, use a axe:

(ok, I will stop posting these now :P )