SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-14, 05:45 PM   #1
Sephiroth
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
First GWX patrol...

Alright, so i finally finished my first GWX patrol on a new campaign after getting the mod to work correctly. Well, this is the second patrol since in the first I only went to my patrol grid, completed it, and returned home. No action due to being pre-war.

This time I went to my grid and completed the patrol, then went north of Londonderry and patrolled, sinking a bunch of ships there, primarily with the deck gun. Once the weather turned to crap I used torpedoes on large merchants. Never once took damage from the ASW tugs that came in after I downed the vessels. All but one time the ASW ships just cruised through, not even knowing I was around.

Eventually I got bored and went south to the English channel. I thought I would infiltrate Portsmouth for giggles. I knew the southern entrance had a net on it, so I slipped up and around the northern entrance. No net! I slipped past a V&W and an ASW tug outside, and there was a C&D inside the dock area.

I fired a torpedo at the C&D right under the bow, but he was fast enough to fire up and get out of the way, though just barely. The idiot then flew past me towards the southern entrance and started going in circles until he just cut his engines and started sitting again. I laughed at him.

I continued to the back of the port and fired two eels at a large cargo, which sank it quickly. I then headed east. I passed the same idiot destroyer very closely and he stopped just shy of running into a dock , which again had me laughing. he then sat there going back and forth like a lost puppy. Guess he doesn't realize his ship can back up...

I went back out of the north entrance and turned my tail towards another large cargo. My first eel blew up directly beneath the bridge (magnetic detonator, under her keel). Here comes retard at full steam, and he stops just shy of slamming into another dock, then sits there going back and forth. Highly amusing!

I reload, fire a second eel at the stern of the cargo ship, and it goes off almost directly under it. I now have no eels left, but cannot leave because the tiny ASW tug is circling in front of me. I watch this for a while and then it heads south to return to its patrol, but he also is heading for a dock and stops a few feet in front of it.

I then sail around the northern lighthouse again, head south, and eventually make it home. That is 45k tons in one patrol. I did have three or four dud eels though. I could have brought down more if they had not blown up in advance. Though the only one that actually missed was the one I fired at the C&D. My plan was to sink the C&D, surface, and sink everything else with my deck gun. No go on that.

Also, the ASW tug heard me on the other side of the docks when I sped up and he went ahead full immediately... right into the friggin' dock. Down he went! Too bad I couldn't take credit for that...

*UPDATE*

I took two screenshots to illustrate these retarded ships. In the pictures the red circle is about where I am, firing from my rear tube at the large cargo ship. You can see the C&D trying to figure out how to reach me without flying over the docks.

The green circle in the second image is where the tug rams into the dock and sinks as I slip away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3Img_21-2-2014_16.41.18_584.jpg (71.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SH3Img_21-2-2014_16.41.28_184.jpg (62.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-21-14 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures...
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 01:52 AM   #2
sailor_X
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

and still, despite that AI in SH3 is having a down syndrome, GWX is the best supermod ever made, majority would agree on this
Old 02-22-14, 05:15 PM   #3
Sephiroth
Seaman

Oh I agree with that. GWX cannot change the AI though. That is coded in C++ in the executable, so even though GWX turned up sonar to realistic levels and adjusted all kinds of configurations, we are still stuck with that AI.

Now, I am on patrol three. If you thought that AI was bad, holy crap it is hilarious at Scapa Flow. I have always sneaked into Scapa and sunk ships. I slowly crept in from the southeast entrance. Dodged quite a few destroyers! Once I went north through the tiny area in the southern section, the retards landed.

An oil tanker runs aground and explodes to the northeast. A destroyer runs aground and explodes just a tad to my east. Another destroyer runs aground a hair north and then west of me, splits in two, and the tail and nose stick up next to each other. I have screenshots to upload later.

Anyway, I creep into port. This is October 7th, 1939. I creep up to the port and find a revenge battleship and the HMS Hood out from the port a hair. They are to my east. I turn and use two eels each, and they go down. The retard destroyer at the port does not even fire up his engines. He sits there next to a sunk troop ship of some kind. Also, a few ships in port apparently ran up onto the beach and caught fire. It was pretty.

I reload and creep out of port and what do I see to the west? An auxiliary cruiser! I start towards it and see something farther west. What is it? The HMS Nelson! I turn the Nelson and the cruiser into subs and am very happy with my 120,000+ tons.

I now surface and start touring the area. I get plenty of screenshots of the destroyers on the beaches. In fact at this point I hear "Enemy ship is engaging us" in German. I look around and see nothing. I check my map and see one on the other side of a land mass steaming at my wide-open. I zoom in at the UZO and watch as he steams right up onto the beach and goes kaboom! Damn I wish I had Fraps running!

I am now moving to my patrol zone with no forward eels and all of my rear eels. Should be fun. I will post screenshots later.
Old 02-23-14, 05:39 AM   #4
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... I check my map and see one on the other side of a land mass steaming at my wide-open. I zoom in at the UZO and watch as he steams right up onto the beach and goes kaboom! Damn I wish I had Fraps running!
... Someone should post a video on youtube of things like this... That's soooo hilarious!
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 03:19 PM   #5
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Yup, SH3 AI near land and harbors is terrible. I seldom do it anymore but I used to raid into harbors, shoot all my torpedoes, then maneuver into a slip and surface while protected from fire by the sea walls and buildings and pull in my external torpedoes, then dive and pull out of the slip and sink some more ships.

Air raid sirens would go off and all hell would break lose as they tried shooting at me but they could not hit me. Sometimes they would shell other ships that happened to be in the way. Quite entertaining.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 06:41 PM   #6
Sephiroth
Seaman

I surfaced in a harbor ONCE. I was behind a dock and I started hearing shots land and the idiots were shelling their own buildings and docks. This was stock SH3. I dove down and escaped, but looking back, maybe I should have sat there until the DD was out of ammo. I would love to take down a DD with my deck gun. That would prove quite entertaining!
Old 02-24-14, 08:42 PM   #7
Sephiroth
Seaman

I just figured out what the DD that came after me when I sank the Hood and the revenge BB did to sink itself. I went back (I had to, apparently my save is gone) and this time after sinking the Hood and the BB, I watched through my scope. It came in wide-open, then stopped, backed up, and the nose submerged. I did what I normally do not do because I consider it cheating. I used external view and viewed the DD. I then backed up and hit something. I turned around and there was a sub-net there! The moron forgot about his own u-boat deterent!

I did not know there was a net at Scapa. I always come in via the shoreline so I guess it does not extend to the shore. Still, this made me laugh out loud. I would have loved to see it try to make it over the net. I can only imagine what the net would do to those high-speed props!