SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-17, 10:12 PM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default AA gunsights

I thought I did another thread on this once, can't find it now. After hunting through all the assorted sub parts 40mm files for the gunsight, I found;

Deck_Gun_40mm_Single.sim has all the data for range, muzzle velocity, ammo storage, rate of fire and so on.

Deck_Gun_40mm_Single.dat has the model and textures, including the model for the gunsight itself.

Deck_Gun_40mm_Single.cam just says "camera = flak gun".

No zoom level in any of them, turns out that's in the main cameras.dat file.

244 AA37mmGun looked promising - the Germans originally captured a bunch of BOFORS 37mm anti tank guns from Poland, adapted them as AA guns for U-boats. Fiddling around with the zoom levels for that (default 1,2, and 4) did nothing, so that wasn't it.

I've modded my career files to start with the cut down late war tower, with fore and aft single mount 40mm BOFORS, but wanted to improve the zoom levels, and today I finally found the little culprits - port and starboard 20mm Oerlikon. Obviously the US subs had fore and aft mounts not port and starboard, but it turns out those are the gunsights for whatever fore and aft AA mounts you have.

276 "aa 20mm starbgun" is the forward mount, 283 optical is the zoom levels - default is 1 and 2.

294 "aa 20mm portgun" is the aft mount, 301 optical the zoom for that one.

Note that it doesn't matter if the AA gun is a 20 or a 40 - the zoom levels apply to whichever type is mounted on the platform. That complicates the whole mess, a 40 will take a zoom level up to 6 before the gunsight disappears (the camera moves forward when zoomed, too much zoom moves it forward of the gunsight) but anything over 3 for the single mount 20 removes the gunsight.

Since I use the 40mm exclusively I'm going with 2 and 4 for the zoom levels, see how that plays. Uploading an actual mod for this would be impossible anyway, since that cameras.dat file is a stewpot which has something different changed in a hundred different mods. Ergo, if you want to change the AA zoom levels you'll need to fire up S3D and roll your own.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote