SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-15, 02:49 PM   #31
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Q1, I've done the same thing when ending a patrol, frantically hitting the backspace key to stop time acceleration while the program ignores the keyboard and runs the sub aground. I've learned to add a "buttonhook" to the end of the course line, a short sharp turn away from the land into open sea.

Q2, not in the stock game - US subs didn't have snorkels until the post WWII Guppy class. I use snorkel depth for "decks awash" instead.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211613
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 04:25 PM   #32
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

best thing to bring tc down quickly is just hit a key for one of the sub compartments....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 08:25 PM   #33
FredMSloniker
Watch

Downloads: 11

Okay, one last question (for now): is there a preferred subforum for me to have a thread about me streaming myself playing the game? I think it'd be fun, and that way you guys could pop in and be all NO YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
FredMSloniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-15, 04:22 AM   #34
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMSloniker View Post
  • When the boat gets to the end of a plotted course, it turns the engines off. It does not attempt to stop the boat at the last waypoint. It doesn't attempt to stop at all; it just turns the engines off when it hits the waypoint. And subs slow down very slowly on their own. Which means I pulled into Midway to refuel, looked away for a few minutes, and crunch
  • Indeed, there doesn't seem to be any good way to come to a full stop. I can reverse engines and get close to a full stop, but I still drift for a good long time. Maybe if I put the boat into a tight turn? Or is there an anchor button I'm missing, silly as that sounds?
You might want to try Improved Ship Physics. It doesn't have an anchor, but it does away with the gamey acceleration/deceleration.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-15, 11:31 AM   #35
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Things I've learned so far in my efforts just to get to my first patrol in one piece:
  • When the boat gets to the end of a plotted course, it turns the engines off. It does not attempt to stop the boat at the last waypoint. It doesn't attempt to stop at all; it just turns the engines off when it hits the waypoint. And subs slow down very slowly on their own. Which means I pulled into Midway to refuel, looked away for a few minutes, and crunch
  • Indeed, there doesn't seem to be any good way to come to a full stop. I can reverse engines and get close to a full stop, but I still drift for a good long time. Maybe if I put the boat into a tight turn? Or is there an anchor button I'm missing, silly as that sounds?
  • I shouldn't rely on the game to step down time acceleration when I'm close to land in general. Not only does it tend not to do so, getting close to a harbor will lag the game at high accelerations, making it difficult to manually turn them off.
Maybe in the next few days I can actually get to the point of shooting something!
Base radius is about 10nm, so you shouldn't have to get near enough even to be pointed at land. When plotting a course home or to re-up, I usually make my last leg short and parallel to land. I also bring the TC for the last few hours as I approach home. That said, I usually also get brought down from TC as my sensors start picking up the local harbor traffic.
Old 02-21-15, 11:34 AM   #36
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

I believe the realistic way to stop IS to reverse the engines to slow down and then stop so you can drop an anchor, which we don't have.
That's the way I'm doing it cuz I don't have an anchor.

Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-15, 06:58 PM   #37
FredMSloniker
Watch

I didn't get a response to this question, so I'll ask again:

Quote:
Okay, one last question (for now): is there a preferred subforum for me to have a thread about me streaming myself playing the game? I think it'd be fun, and that way you guys could pop in and be all NO YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
Old 02-21-15, 11:28 PM   #38
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

There is a sticky thread, 'Stories and Patrol logs', near the top.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-15, 12:04 AM   #39
FredMSloniker
Watch

Thank you much!