SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-18, 05:57 AM   #136
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

To some degree I would go with those saying the weapon itself is not so much the problem, but the mind commanding it. And there you are at it: culture, mentality, focus on violence. The question is why are there so many people being fixiated on firearms, military grade weapons, why are the so many flipped-out minds absuing the opportunity to cause a mess with them? There is a correlation by trend between firearms in private possession, and sucide rates amongst males, in Switzerland for exmaple this rate is also above the average in Western states, due to their militia system many households have assault rifles at home. But why is the suicide rate in which these get used still I think six times lower than in the US? Why are there so many loose mind and so many gun-linked incidents in the US? Why are school-incidents almost always (or even always?) carried out by whites, never by blacks or others?

The answers will not be found by writing new laws. But by looking at the culture, and the living environment it creates. A lobby organisation like the NRA makes a profit by forming and sharpening certain traits that result form said culture, to extremes, preventing chnage by polarising the debate until there is just black and white left, absolute, total extremes.

Why a hunter thinks that he must hunt a deer with military-grade semiautomatic rifles, is beyond me, and always will be. And self-defence against crminals imo does not mean to maintain an arsenal that is big enough to survive the zombie apocalypse, is paranoid. Every household not just a pistol or hunting rifle, but enough arms to arm its own private army? Hilarious. Fetishism I call it.

Obviously there are quite some extreme tensions amongst the civilised surface of this culture. And quite some souls break up under these tensions. Every society has its hidden demons.
Old 02-26-18, 02:50 PM   #137
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Have you even understood what I asked for?
I'd say more like you did not understand the answers.
If you expect me to quote you and then answer?
Not gonna happen.

Look at it this way.
Say the U.S.A. claimed that West Germany was a new State of the U.S.A. at the end of WWII.
How would you react to the Laws of the U.S.A.?

I try to understand what happened before WWII in Germany and after.
But I'd never speak out and say what you all should do today. It's not my place, not my fight, not my right.
And I mean that with all due respect.

It's so easy to sit in our homes and put our personal perspectives on things and proclaim that we have the answers!
Guess what? I don't work that way! Never has. Never will!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 02-26-18 at 03:13 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 04:11 PM   #138
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I dont agree with the use of semi- auto firearms in hunting either. But if thats all the hunter does with the firearms thats fine. I own Curio&Relic former military semi-autos for plinkin at a well run rifle range, and thats it. The NRA does not promote violence it promotes safe practices. Its certain people within and without such organizations that are susceptable to other influence.

As this article pretty much states,

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/chil...fects-behavior

Violence in the media has been increasing and reaching proportions that are dangerous,” said Emanuel Tanay, MD, a retired Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Wayne State University and a forensic psychiatrist for more than 50 years.

“You turn on the television, and violence is there. You go to a movie, and violence is there,” Tanay told Psychiatric Times. “Reality is distorted. If you live in a fictional world, then the fictional world becomes your reality.”

The average American watches nearly 5 hours of video each day, 98% of which is watched on a traditional television set, according to Nielsen Company. Nearly two-thirds of TV programs contain some physical violence. Most self-involving video games contain some violent content, even those for children.

... If you manufacture guns, you don’t need to advertise, because it is done by our entertainment industry.

Lets not forget too other factors may be involved such as legal drugs.

healthland.time.com/2011/01/07/top-ten-legal-drugs-linked-to-violence/

But lets abolish the NRA. :rolls:

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-26-18 at 04:49 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 04:15 PM   #139
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'd say more like you did not understand the answers.
If you expect me to quote you and then answer?
Not gonna happen.

Look at it this way.
Say the U.S.A. claimed that West Germany was a new State of the U.S.A. at the end of WWII.
How would you react to the Laws of the U.S.A.?

I try to understand what happened before WWII in Germany and after.
But I'd never speak out and say what you all should do today. It's not my place, not my fight, not my right.
And I mean that with all due respect.

It's so easy to sit in our homes and put our personal perspectives on things and proclaim that we have the answers!
Guess what? I don't work that way! Never has. Never will!

For a delicious sweet semolina pudding in several variations, bring milk to boil but do not burn it. Melt a bit of butter in it, then stir in semolina and simmer for 5-7 minmutes at medium to low temperature. Add some vanilla sugar, whip the white of two eggs, and also stir it in. Serve with either sugar and cinnamon, or roasted plums and roasted butter and sugar and cinnamon, or sugar and cacao.
Old 02-26-18, 05:04 PM   #140
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

“You turn on the television, and violence is there. You go to a movie, and violence is there,” Tanay told Psychiatric Times. “Reality is distorted. If you live in a fictional world, then the fictional world becomes your reality.”
When was the last time an action movie had a protagonist who did not resort to violence to solve the plot's problems? Perhaps what we need is a little balance in our TV/movies and start showing protagonists solving problems without resorting to violence. We can still have the antagonists use violence in order to keep the action back in action movies.

Not saying abolish violence in the movies, but perhaps a little more balance and less glamorizing of violence might help. Could not hurt.
Old 02-26-18, 06:04 PM   #141
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
For a delicious sweet semolina pudding in several variations, bring milk to boil but do not burn it. Melt a bit of butter in it, then stir in semolina and simmer for 5-7 minmutes at medium to low temperature. Add some vanilla sugar, whip the white of two eggs, and also stir it in. Serve with either sugar and cinnamon, or roasted plums and roasted butter and sugar and cinnamon, or sugar and cacao.
Nice answer to a serious question.
Tells me everything I need to know.
If the question does not suit you? You want to play it off as if you are above the question.
Spout your nonsense as much as you please. Thank God I don't live near you!
Old 02-26-18, 06:04 PM   #142
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Not saying abolish violence in the movies, but perhaps a little more balance and less glamorizing of violence might help. Could not hurt.
We need more MacGyvers. Non violent problem solving.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 06:57 PM   #143
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Ever see John Wick? I have no doubts this is how the mentally unstable see themselves.

Old 02-26-18, 07:20 PM   #144
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Nice answer to a serious question.
Tells me everything I need to know.
If the question does not suit you? You want to play it off as if you are above the question.
Spout your nonsense as much as you please. Thank God I don't live near you!
A little strawberry sauce also is very nice with this recipe, especially when the pudding is quite stiff. In this case I would increase the amount of vanilla, because vanilla and strawberry is a great combo.

But it seems somebody here does not like getting served the dish he has chosen. Why has he chosen it then...
Old 02-26-18, 07:29 PM   #145
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Ever see John Wick? I have no doubts this is how the mentally unstable see themselves.
Hehe, never get between a man and his dog...
Old 02-26-18, 11:49 PM   #146
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Yep, pretty much sums up the entire plot.

Old 02-26-18, 11:59 PM   #147
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
We need more MacGyvers. Non violent problem solving.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

As for these...

Quote:
"military-grade semiautomatic rifles"
...keep in mind that a civilian AR-15 is a single shot .22 caliber rifle. Of course, the 5.56 round is much more powerful than a .22 LR. But, the more traditional hunting rounds, such as .30-06, .308, .338, .300, .270 & even .25-06 are at least as powerful as 5.56. Most variants are over twice as powerful. And there are plenty of other semi-auto hunting rifles on the market besides the AR platform.

Also, these rounds are usually all full metal jacket. On the other hand, hollow-point rounds, the type typically used in handguns, transfer much more energy to the target. This is by design ... the hollow-point rounds expand upon impact creating a much larger cavity whereas a FMJ will typically pass right through a target, carrying some leftover energy with it. Rounds such as the 5.56 FMJ were specifically chosen for military use because they are less likely to do horrific damage to an enemy combatant.

IOW, an AR-15 is far from the most deadly gun a shooter could use. Sure, they might be able to get a lot of shots off. But, the chances of those shots being fatal are less than with many other rounds. Terms such as "military-grade" and "assault rifle" are [intentionally] misleading. We could ban all "assault rifles" and possibly do more harm than good.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 06:08 AM   #148
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Searching for answers. One mans opinion.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 06:40 AM   #149
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Jordan Peterson, not bad
And not a discussion about calibre..
Nihilistic and desperate. I believe there is a lot of truth in what he said. Without perspective, feeling put down all the time and having no "valve" – while the letter is being explained as to see a meaning in life, a purpose, care for one's family etc. leads to a feeling of having no chance, and further isolation, and to radicalisation.

I thought how much this kind of "lack of personal future" can also be found in most terrorists (while some may argue school shooters are just that, but..).
Now i can understand how this feel of insult and being despised while living in an environment that has been destroyed by the very nations who claim to bring freedom and all that.. so this may also be true in our western societies, for the same (felt) reasons.

Also some truth in that the media, publishing the names of the school shooters longing for notoriety, is not helpful.

edit: i just realized how wrong this interview is titled..
"America's men in decline"
"Left says Toxic masculinity is the reason for school shooting"
while Peterson says NOTHING of it! On the contrary!
Is this a "Fox news thing"?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-27-18 at 06:54 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 07:00 AM   #150
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ban boys!