Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-19, 06:08 AM   #11461
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

3:30pm today we will all know if Bercow gives it or meanwhile in the EU they are studying the two letters over some very nice coffee and biscuits.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-21-19, 06:14 AM   #11462
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
3:30pm today we will all know if Bercow gives it or meanwhile in the EU they are studying the two letters over some very nice coffee and biscuits.
You mean tea. Tea it has to be.
Old 10-21-19, 06:18 AM   #11463
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You mean tea. Tea it has to be.
That's British, what next fish and chips washed down by Newcastle brown ale. Blasted EU pinching our way of life.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-21-19, 06:36 AM   #11464
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The vote on the deal was dropped. Period.The Letvin amendement did not vote on the deal either. It plans to do so, like Johnson planned to have a vote over his. Both have not taken place yet.

There was no vote on the deal on saturday, Letvin does not change that. The argument that the Letvin amendement is to be counted as a vote on the dela, is comparing apples with oranges.
Which is why is so often accused of being biased.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-21-19, 08:43 AM   #11465
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A simple analysis by Laura Kuenssberg.

Quote:
A straight vote on the deal today seems unlikely because the government didn't pull the vote on Saturday - they walked away from it. So, theoretically, the Commons did give a view on the issue, and it can't be asked to give a different one today - let's see.

The government is desperate to have a vote on the whole shebang as soon as possible to show momentum, before getting into days of scrutiny where MPs will try to make changes to the deal.

That's not just because they are worried about losing more votes - this government has barely won any - but because if MPs make any major changes to the legislation, then it might mean PM has to go back to EU and ask for a different deal - you can imagine how much No 10 wants that.

It also, of course, eats up time, making it harder and harder as the hours tick by for the government to be able to stick to the 31 October deadline - still not impossible, but looking increasingly unlikely.

If the WAB ends up not getting through or being changed, there is very little chance the government will be able to avoid a delay, so the smart bet is that No 10 will just go back to pushing very hard for an election.

Once a delay is agreed, it will be hard for opposition parties to block one - lots of individual MPs don't want it, but the government is prepared to hold a vote of no confidence in itself, or go for a simple majority vote if they can't get it through under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act's two-thirds bar.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50117284
So....1530 it is then.

Old 10-21-19, 08:51 AM   #11466
Skybird
Soaring

Without further explanation fo its sources, the BBC says Bercow looks as if set for rejecting the vote.

I sart to wonder why the UK even has a govenrment. Who is in formal governing control? The govenrment or the parliament? Or the bureaucrats administering in the background? Or- the lawyers?

A deleted scene from SW-2. The parallels are somewhat disturbing.

And now the eternal question on my mind again: "parallel" with one or two R's...? What I mess up in German, shall not stay unmessed-up in English, I suppose.
Old 10-21-19, 08:52 AM   #11467
Skybird
Soaring

Jim, you really start to kill my nerves at times.

Old 10-21-19, 09:09 AM   #11468
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-21-19, 09:16 AM   #11469
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon10

Hello universe it’s a glorious day on planet earth and our death fleet is gathered for the great destruction. I stand here in the capital of the world’s politics with my hyper galactic binoculars staring in to Parliament which has no idea what is about to hit them. Unless of course Operation Brexit gets the go ahead, we asked Jimbo what are the chances of our great invasion, he replied..

“Good just give me 5 minutes to pack my case”

So it all boils down to this Bercow deciding should he have pea soup or a veggie burger. With a billion death ships ready to carve up this little worthless country called the United Kingdom we wait as the clocks counts down…

Old 10-21-19, 09:23 AM   #11470
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-21-19, 09:41 AM   #11471
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Surprise surprise, Bercow says NO.

Old 10-21-19, 09:43 AM   #11472
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Surprise surprise, Bercow says NO.
BLEEP BLEEP THAT'S ALL FOLKS.

Old 10-21-19, 09:57 AM   #11473
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Commons Speaker has refused a government request to hold a "yes" or "no" vote on its Brexit deal.

John Bercow said a motion on the deal had already been brought before MPs on Saturday, and it would be "repetitive and disorderly" to debate it again.

Saturday's sitting saw an amended motion nodded through by MPs, which withholds approval of Boris Johnson's deal until it has been passed into law.

The PM agreed a deal with the EU last week, but it must be approved by MPs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50128740

Old 10-21-19, 10:39 AM   #11474
Skybird
Soaring

Absurd.

And it will continue to go like this for YEARS to come.

The gormenghastification of politics.

But people wonder why I thinkl and sometimes say that our plticla systems are just shadpows of their former selfs, of how they were meant to be, are just corrupted corpusses, dead and hollow.

Here in germany - almost unconditionally against Brexit - they even try to make it appear as if this were the real menaing of "democracy". While it simply is the raping of it.

"For my ideological goals, just ANYTHING goes!"

USA busy with itself. Britain busy with itself. EU busy with itself. And some people here have asked occasionally what interest the Kremlin should have in wanting to mess with Western internal politics to acchieve these results! Isnt that obvious? A paralysed rival in deadlock - is no serious rival.
Old 10-21-19, 11:57 AM   #11475
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The Sun's (hell of a newspaper to quote I know) political editor Tom Newton-Dunn has highlighted another headache for Boris and co which would have made a 31 October exit day an impossibility with his deal. The Constitutional Reform and Governance Act (2010) requires that any international treaty (the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement is such a treaty) be laid before the House of Commons for 21 days before it can be ratified. I don't know if that means 21 calendar days or business days but either way the latest the deal would need to have been submitted would have been 10 October and Boris's deal hadn't been done by then.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics